Project Feedback

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Would You Like Project Feedback?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:50 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 10

xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

DustSabre wrote:I like that... :lol:

Personally, I think this whole Stardust thing is a camouflaged psychological experiment in which :twisted: researchers are trying to see how long people can go without information before becoming insane. So far, it looks like they're beginning to succeed, as the first signs of insanity are finally appearing in some of the subjects of the experiment. :mrgreen:

Yes! Two experiments in one! We wil save the money! :D :twisted: You know - the project stands only on US taxpayers not on Slovenian`s! :twisted: :twisted:
Bojan AmbrožiÄ
fjgiie
DustMod

Nothing new and different

Post by fjgiie »

DustSabre wrote:the first signs of insanity are finally appearing...
Speaking just for myself, I have not noticed any new signs.

Image[/quote]
mmolvray

Re: somewhere there's a diagram of the aerogel

Post by mmolvray »

fflo wrote: Here it is, the link to topic -- Picture perfect: aerogel scanning process

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... c.php?t=78

:) and keep dusting

fflo
Yes! That's it. Thanks. I have it safely bookmarked this time. I'm also glad to see it's been updated not too long ago.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Zack G. used to be the most informative about the project up until a few months ago. Unfortunately, he's not followed up on his original promise to summarise on a weekly basis the results so far about the cometary dust particles for example (despite acknowledging personal messages in that regard).

I know Anna Butterworth has been away on maternity leave (is she back yet?)
Could Zack be pregnant too!?
paramecie

Today's Project Update !

Post by paramecie »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1797

Thanks Stardust Team ;-) for this update - no info kills any project, I'm sure everyone knows that.

I just arrived and am lucky to see all what is to come, so, again, thank you !

Regarding: "We will also be letting everyone know who were the first to discover these."... my humble opinion may be (if feasible) to list ALL dusters to the "discover".

A newbie (like me, say) may have a few chances to:
* be lucky to find something "interesting" in his first day/weeks/month(s),
* be able (yet), in front of the extraordinary movie, to "feel" the pictures and to click the good button...

So, I would say recent people have less chances - not talking about the guys being here 8 hours a day ;-) ... whom produce a huge and respectable task, of course.

I have seen this one having 108 Cut 1 or whatever... to this game, we (newbies, or part-time dusters) can't fight (if it's a game and/or a contest - which is not).

Saying this, I think - maybe in the chronological order of discovering, all the names having clicked the good spot would be fair?

Just my 2 dusts.
Last edited by paramecie on Wed May 09, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groundling

Pregnant?

Post by Groundling »

jsmaje
Personal affronts should always be not allowed in a friendly exchange such as this.
If you think that " The team" is not helping you, you should look back a little bit. These people worked on this project before the spacecraft was launched in 1999.
It is childish to chide these people for not providing you with information when they have been waiting to see this for 10 years!
I think I'll take another time away from this self-centered fantisy.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

We realize that the Stardust@home team has been rather quiet over the past month, but while scanning of the Interstellar Dust Collector is temporarily suspended at the Johnson Space Center, we have been working behind the scenes to move the project forward in some exciting new ways.

We are currently preparing and uploading high resolution scan data. These data are scans of tiles that have already been searched by dusters, but done at much higher resolution and with different illumination. It is possible that the poorer quality of the previous scans prevented important features from being seen and reported. That is why we are placing these news scans online. The data have not yet been placed into the active database for the VM. We are working on some technical issues with these scans before they will be ready for the VM. This may take another couple of weeks to sort out.

We are also preparing a full listing of the best candidates for interstellar tracks that the Stardust@home collaboration has so far produced. We will also be letting everyone know who were the first to discover these. Bear in mind, however, that these are only candidates and we still must follow-up on them in order to determine if they are indeed tracks, if they contain dust particles, and if those particles are interstellar in origin. It may be quite some time before we have confirmed interstellar dust.

These candidates will also be used in updated versions of the tutorial and examples pages.

We will do our best to keep you better informed about the work going on behind the scenes of Stardust@home. We thank you for your patience and we of course thank you for your important contributions to the project.
Something is moving. We will get the list of best movies and we will know which movies we clicked first.
Bojan AmbrožiÄ
jsmaje

Re: Pregnant?

Post by jsmaje »

Groundling wrote:jsmaje
Personal affronts should always be not allowed in a friendly exchange such as this.
I was shocked that anyone could interpret what I said as a 'personal affront' or 'childish chiding'. I was merely joining with others in adding what was intended as a mildy humorous plea for more feedback, in full knowledge of how busy the team must be. It is precisely because of my respect for team members such as Zack that I'd like to hear from them a bit more often.
Brian has now responded, and like paramecie and xxxxxy I look forward to the latest developments.

And I hope Zack will forgive me for disclosing his latest PM to me (April 30th):

Hi John,
Yeah, I still hope to fulful my promise for the IDP stream... (Yeah, yeah, I've been kinda busy...)
I might post something more on the artifacts, I think the answer still boils down to both. The inclusions are almost definitely manufacturing doo-hickeys in my opinion because I see them on non-launched aerogel. The other stuff on the surface of the aerogel is more questionable. A lot of that is just crud that got on in the cleanroom (yeah, cleanrooms aren't always THAT clean).
Zack
Howie

Very Good Subject Posted!!!

Post by Howie »

Hi There,

All the above posts makes sense and I agree!
But, cut the team some slack!
If I was in the area of the project I would help them now that I am retired! If there was a way to help I would!
Yes, I see a loss of dusters in the top 100!
Yes, I see a loss of posts from months ago!
Yes, I see repairs to system problems repaired!
Yes, I see the new movies and not the old ones anymore!

My opinion only, many dusters have given up if they have older computers, etc., and the slowness of their system!
Also, the fact it does take time to stick with this search, many have to get on with there lives and do not have the time!
Newbies have a lot to learn and catch up on, which can make them get lost as to what's going on!
What was to take a year and could take way more time than that makes you say I give up?
I will be curious to see who of us now here now will not be here a year from now, and the team will be left to handle things?
I plan to be here a year from now!

Sincerely,
Howie
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

I was shocked that anyone could interpret what I said as a 'personal affront' or 'childish chiding'.
I was also rather surprised that anyone would take what you said as an affront. It was just a good-natured observation, and that's what it ought to be treated as.

As for Howie, he seems to have a lot of extra exclamation marks hanging around his house! :shock: ( Or maybe he just lives an incredibly exiting life. ) :lol:
But, cut the team some slack!
We have been cutting them some slack for awhile now, and I really wish that they would try to keep the updates more regular. Not so much a huge page of information each time, but just notes here and there in between the larger updates. They've got to give the impression that the project is still alive and well, or else they'll inevitably see a continued drop in interest.
Howie

I Agree...

Post by Howie »

Hi DustSabre,

I agree 100%, little here and there other than answers from the mods that try to help, to save the team some time.
Yes, before I recently retired I had an exciting and very busy life.
I have slowed down quite a bit, due to health.

Howie
oooops, I forgot some !!!!!!!!!!!! Only Joking.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Nice job keeping it light gang!
From dust we come