Publish Rank list of top 200 dusters?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

rlcwik

Post by rlcwik »

Strange, I have a score of 10587 and have only tagged 59 movies, with a possible 9 IDP's identified. Seems to me you have been tagging somewhat differently from me. IMHO it seems you have been tagging the wrong things... Good luck though....[/quote]

I have been wondering about some of the things I have been tagging too. I suspect that most of them are inclusions under the surface. The operative words there being, under the surface. I figure if it’s under the surface then it is up to the home team to sort it out.

What I worry about is the featureless field that shows up one little speck somewhere in the lower end of the focus range. You have no reference point to know if you are below the surface or not. I’m not quite sure if I should tag that as bad focus or no track. Seems to me they need a third possibility to select. Like Need a Closer Look.
xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

About number of IDP`s please post here:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 4&start=45
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

rlcwik wrote:What I worry about is the featureless field that shows up one little speck somewhere in the lower end of the focus range. You have no reference point to know if you are below the surface or not. I’m not quite sure if I should tag that as bad focus or no track. Seems to me they need a third possibility to select. Like Need a Closer Look.
Bad focus is "Need a Closer Look" and that is what you would do there. It could be that it started already below the surface and that is an inclusion, or it is way above the surface and the speck is on the surface.

Happy dusting!
From dust we come
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

Why just 200? I'd shoot for 500. That would allow a person to get into the rankings without having to die for it. Sure, being in the top 100 is a great honor, and those who have attained that goal have every right to be proud, but the rest of us won't ever make it there. However, a determined duster could still make it onto the top 500 list.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Good point!
I don't think they expected such a strong response as they have gotten. Perhaps if they have time, it will happen....
From dust we come
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

I don't think it would be very difficult at all to expand the list. They have everyone's rank stored in their database already.
star2steerby

Post by star2steerby »

I sympathize. But aren't you asking for a lower common denominator? Is this the way we praise and reward those with the dedication and perserverance to achieve the top 100? Instead, how about if admin posts all rewarded certificates? (Perhaps along with a dusters current score?) It would publically acknowledge most dusters and allow for comparisons, competitions, and pride of place, which is what you seem to be asking for. That's alot of non-science related work though. Can you be content to be an un-sung hero? If so then I sulute you! (And you can always use the forum to let us know how you're doing)
Everything reminds me of everything else
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

I sympathize. But aren't you asking for a lower common denominator? Is this the way we praise and reward those with the dedication and perserverance to achieve the top 100?
Publishing a list of the top 500 doesn't change who's in the top 100, and just posting all the rewards wouldn't be as interesting to most people, since they couldn't see their name move around on the list at all, since reward certificates are only given here and there after huge blocks of points have been achieved. Actually, it would probably be more difficult for them to construct a list of all the awards then to just extend the page on this website that already has the rankings list. Also, consider that getting into the top 100 6 months ago is probably equivalent to getting into the top 500 today.
marymouse

Post by marymouse »

How about the top 1000 - then I could see my name! lol
star2steerby

Post by star2steerby »

Publishing a list of the top 500 doesn't change who's in the top 100, and just posting all the rewards...
Have you looked at the top 100 list carefully? The scores are automatically updated every few minutes. The same could apply to all 23,000+ dusters if admin wanted so, of course, everyone would be able to see their score automatically updated in relation to everyone else almost instantly. (What a horse race!). A 'certificates earned' column could also be updated automatically, just as it is for each of us individually when we get to download our earned certificates. This system wouldn't be all that hard to implement since, as you mentioned above, admin already has all the info (and software) they need.
I'm definitely NOT advocating this plan! It is too much non-science related work and caters too much to the gamer mentality and that's not what this project is ultimately about, is it? I only propose it so you can see where changing rules and expectations in mid-game can lead. (Who gets to draw the line anyway,... you?) And, using your argument, what about 6 months from now when "getting into the top 500 is like getting into the top 100 today"? Someone else would be equally justified in argueing for altering the format again...and again, ad infinitum, just as you are now. You knew the rules when you signed up, so....
Everything reminds me of everything else
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

You knew the rules when you signed up, so....
We didn't know that 23,000 other people would also sign up.

Just for the record, I am not in the top 500, and probably never will be. I'm just hoping that this will inspire a mad dash for position, thus furthering the science.
Groundling

Post by Groundling »

Hi DustSabre;
I'm just hoping that this will inspire a mad dash for position, thus furthering the science
People tend to overlook details when in a hurry. I worry that those who rush to increase the score may miss something. The inverse may also be true. Clicking on everything "below the surface" merely bloats the list that the team will have to deal with.
I take the extra time to decide if an object is worth the teams attention.
On the other hand, this might cause me to pass by something that others might think is important.
I guess the bottom line is; there are 23,000+ opinions.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
rcschroter

List top 200

Post by rcschroter »

Glad to see that ERSTERS made it to the top 100. I have been a slacker and am now about 183 with little hope that I can break out. My current score is about where 100 was six months ago. It would still be nice to see where more of us stand.
Sunnydaves

Post by Sunnydaves »

Hi rcschroter,

I just broke through 300. My rank is 298 with a score of 13740. What is your score at 183?
rcschroter

reply to sunnydaves post

Post by rcschroter »

I assume you are using the wrong value for score. My wrong answers are 749 and my correct answers are 9770. My score just crossed 9021 and my ranking has been at 183 for about a week now. My best day earned me over 100 points but it made no difference in position. It felt as though I was in a big void and maybe there was little interest outside of the top 100. Good to hear that there are more people climbing the ladder. Where is 182?