Counting errors.

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

seadog66

Counting errors.

Post by seadog66 »

I'm experiencing "spates of negation," whereby my scores are kept correctly for a while, then the program decides to contradict me. Fully a third of my 25 "incorrect" hits were in fact correct. :(
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hello Seadog,

Could you please provide some specifics on the problems you are encountering? What do you mean by 'spats of negation'? And how do you know that your incorrect answers were in fact correct?

To properly diagnose problems we need to know the exact nature of the problem, the movie ID #s can be helpful, and also include your computer set-up.

Thanks,
Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
seadog66

"Spates of negation"

Post by seadog66 »

Greetings, Bryan.

The above subject was hoped to be self-explanatory, but to be on the safe side I explained it in the following sentence. I don't believe I used very difficult terminology. Perhaps I should have written "intermittent negation," but I decided to be frugal w/ my terms.

I assumed your program to be correct in it's responses, and so it appeared to be accurate, up to the point when I entered "OK" on an obvious track and was contradicted by the negative score (Hence the word "negation"). This occurred at about the seventh or eighth misses, where I had wrongly "OK'd" surface junk, at some point just beyond the 1000th. movie. Later, it happened again; a "miss" applied to an obvious track. Then, a "miss" was applied to a "no track" input when no evidence of a track appeared. Further, delays in next movie presentations increased to the point where I had no choice other than use the "back" button or to log-off/log-on again, and, focusing became "jerky" or impossible, causing a great number of "bad focus" responses.

The above went on for a few hours and then I logged-off, frustrated. The next day things seemed to return to normal, but within an hour restarted. (Hence, the word "spates"). The episodes repeated several times, until I decided to lay-off until the problems are fixed. In the meanwhile I wrote to you.

I can't give you movie ID numbers because I don't write them down; it's too cumbersome and time consuming. Besides, they should be available by way of reference within the program and immediately accessible.

Finally, my complaints simply echo many of those which have been in the Forum for quite some time. My computer setup is Windows XP, Windows Internet Explorer, w/ Microsoft's security. Security checks out OK.

By way of Postscript I feel compelled to add that, in my own experiences, I've found that when ego and defensiveness are thrown at a valid inquiry useful progress is unnecessarily impeded. Wasting my time isn't my idea of "having fun."

Thank you for your response.

Bill
WorWizard

Re: "Spates of negation"

Post by WorWizard »

seadog66 wrote:Greetings, Bryan.

The above subject was hoped to be self-explanatory, but to be on the safe side I explained it in the following sentence. I don't believe I used very difficult terminology. Perhaps I should have written "intermittent negation," but I decided to be frugal w/ my terms.

I assumed your program to be correct in it's responses, and so it appeared to be accurate, up to the point when I entered "OK" on an obvious track and was contradicted by the negative score (Hence the word "negation"). This occurred at about the seventh or eighth misses, where I had wrongly "OK'd" surface junk, at some point just beyond the 1000th. movie. Later, it happened again; a "miss" applied to an obvious track. Then, a "miss" was applied to a "no track" input when no evidence of a track appeared. Further, delays in next movie presentations increased to the point where I had no choice other than use the "back" button or to log-off/log-on again, and, focusing became "jerky" or impossible, causing a great number of "bad focus" responses.

The above went on for a few hours and then I logged-off, frustrated. The next day things seemed to return to normal, but within an hour restarted. (Hence, the word "spates"). The episodes repeated several times, until I decided to lay-off until the problems are fixed. In the meanwhile I wrote to you.

I can't give you movie ID numbers because I don't write them down; it's too cumbersome and time consuming. Besides, they should be available by way of reference within the program and immediately accessible.

Finally, my complaints simply echo many of those which have been in the Forum for quite some time. My computer setup is Windows XP, Windows Internet Explorer, w/ Microsoft's security. Security checks out OK.

By way of Postscript I feel compelled to add that, in my own experiences, I've found that when ego and defensiveness are thrown at a valid inquiry useful progress is unnecessarily impeded. Wasting my time isn't my idea of "having fun."

Thank you for your response.

Bill
<seadog66>"The above subject was hoped to be self-explanatory, but to be on the safe side I explained it in the following sentence."

<ww>(following sentence) <seadog66>I don't believe I used very difficult terminology.

<ww> I don't see how that elaborates at all.

<seadog66>"I assumed your program to be correct in it's responses, and so it appeared to be accurate, up to the point when I entered "OK" on an obvious track and was contradicted by the negative score (Hence the word "negation")."

<WW> the program, so to speak, does correctly register your response. could you define on how you think you were incorrectly judged on a particular "movie" ?

<seadog66>""OK'd" surface junk, at some point just beyond the 1000th. movie. Later, it happened again; a "miss" applied to an obvious track. Then, a "miss" was applied to a "no track" input when no evidence of a track appeared. "

<WW> There are Calibration Movies.... CM's that have no track. Hope this helps. As far as the Obvious track goes. We have yet to see one. so, it's all a guess at this point. All you can use is personal judgement and perhaps get a hint from the test movies. As well, if you "ok'd" junk, then most likely you clicked where no track was at, you smiply did as stated, "ok'd" junk. You should be "ok'ing" the objects below the surface, not on top of it. Unless of course you see something really unusual.

I would go on more about the situation but it it very time consuming and cumbersome. If you give the staff a paticular movie number that you feel you were incorrectly judged upon, I have no doubt that they will do every thing they can to correct the situation. I have done this quite a few times now and the situation was rectified very quickly.

I hope I helped you in your quest for science.

Wor Wizard
seadog66

the Obvious

Post by seadog66 »

Hi <ww>.

Mea culpa. The explanation of "spates of negation" was included in the first sentence of the first posting in this category, not in the second sentence.

In your demand for specifics you may have overlooked the fourth paragraph in my second posting in this category. Also, I have used the Examples to qualify my "obvious tracks." I'm wondering if perhaps you were simply too burdened and encumbered to notice that you capitalized the word, "obvious." I'm sure it was a typo.

I thank you for your reply, and refer you to paragraph five of the second posting, this category.

Bill
WorWizard

Re: the Obvious

Post by WorWizard »

seadog66 wrote:Hi <ww>.

Mea culpa. The explanation of "spates of negation" was included in the first sentence of the first posting in this category, not in the second sentence.

In your demand for specifics you may have overlooked the fourth paragraph in my second posting in this category. Also, I have used the Examples to qualify my "obvious tracks." I'm wondering if perhaps you were simply too burdened and encumbered to notice that you capitalized the word, "obvious." I'm sure it was a typo.

I thank you for your reply, and refer you to paragraph five of the second posting, this category.

Bill
yup, typo. have a nice day.

:)

WorWizard
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: "Spates of negation"

Post by bmendez »

seadog66 wrote:Greetings, Bryan.

I assumed your program to be correct in it's responses, and so it appeared to be accurate, up to the point when I entered "OK" on an obvious track and was contradicted by the negative score (Hence the word "negation"). This occurred at about the seventh or eighth misses, where I had wrongly "OK'd" surface junk, at some point just beyond the 1000th. movie. Later, it happened again; a "miss" applied to an obvious track. Then, a "miss" was applied to a "no track" input when no evidence of a track appeared.
Did you read this FAQ Thread? There many people described similar incidents where they believed that they correctly answered a calibration frame, but were marked wrong. In the very beginning we identified a small number of CMs that had incorrect coordinates for the dubbed tracks. Since then, we have found no evidence of further problem CMs. Indeed, all of the incidents since then appear to be user error for a wide variety of sources (not clicking within 30 pixels of the track, using zoom, wireless mouse sends poor corrdinates as battery runs out, double-clicking and the second click counts toward the next movie, using an oversensitive touch pad, etc.)
seadog66 wrote:I can't give you movie ID numbers because I don't write them down; it's too cumbersome and time consuming. Besides, they should be available by way of reference within the program and immediately accessible.
Sorry, but it is far too cumbersome for us to search the entire database for a single event of yours. If you see that something has gone wrong, you simply need to hit the back button to find the offending movie ID, do a copy and paste into a message in the above referenced FAQ thread. Then we can check the movie.
Nobody here has offered any ego and defensiveness . I have simply asked you to help me help you. That is all.

Thanks as always for your efforts.

-Bryan
- RUSH
Howie

Wrong score???

Post by Howie »

I hit no track and got it wrong?

Anyone see a test track here???

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-2,-2

http://s3.amazonaws.com/stardustathome. ... 03-021.jpg

Right after that the screen movie locked up and refresh would not work?
Had to log out and back in???

Howie
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: Wrong score???

Post by bmendez »

Howie wrote:I hit no track and got it wrong?

Anyone see a test track here???

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-2,-2

http://s3.amazonaws.com/stardustathome. ... 03-021.jpg

Right after that the screen movie locked up and refresh would not work?
Had to log out and back in???

Howie
Hi Howie,

The movie you references is a real movie, not a CM. Is it possible that it was a different movie that you were scored as having missed?

Thanks,
Bryan
- RUSH
Howie

Post by Howie »

Site is acting very wierd and sparatic as of now and I have done nothing new! Things have been flying lately and the last hour???

Went back and checked movie before and that one, including history content and I had an error???

I just had a second one and I have not made a error for over 2 weeks!!!
Now I just made one cause of the site again acting up and trying to refresh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howie