Java, Java, and More Java Script Errors???

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Howie

Java, Java, and More Java Script Errors???

Post by Howie »

Hi All,

I do not see on other topics or boards the Java Problem?

Am I the only one having them or are you all just living with it?

The error messages are popping up one or three at a time and at one point the screen locked up for a minute while I tried to click a test fake track and then happened a couple more times.

It is really starting to bug me the time I spend clicking the errors off, and trying to concentrate!

Thanks, anyone with info,
Howie
marymouse

Post by marymouse »

It's happening. Living with it, until I get too frustrated.
Groundling

Java

Post by Groundling »

Hi Howie;
Yes I'm sure everyone is having this problem. I'm also sure that the team is aware and is trying to solve it.
I certainly don't have a solution so I just do what I can and suffer the frustration along with you.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
francesday

Java error every 10 movies or so

Post by francesday »

Yes, you're not alone. Only way out I can find is to exit entirely and log back in. Is there any easier way round this wretched error.

Java, eh? :evil:
freelance
Howie

I am still looking for a complete fix???

Post by Howie »

I have tried logging in/out, but takes too long, so I have tried going back and press new movie or also, just press microscope. This works sometimes for awhile.

The best I have found to slow down the number of error popups, I turned my javascript error off and javascript log, OFF...but still get some???

Here is the URL from Microsoft to help with javascript errors...
http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstar ... blems.mspx
Go down page for Java errors...and note the part...

The good news is that this message isn't caused by anything that's wrong with your PC. The error is with the Web page you're viewing. The Web designer who created the Web page made an error in the JavaScript—the programming language used to automate certain areas of a Web page.

You can't fix the Web page. The best you can do is contact someone at the Web site and let them know the page has errors. However, you can prevent this message box from being displayed. Unless you're a Web designer working with JavaScript, you have no reason to see if Web pages have errors.

Team please note the above Part...

Howie
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: I am still looking for a complete fix???

Post by DustBuster »

Howie wrote: The good news is that this message isn't caused by anything that's wrong with your PC. The error is with the Web page you're viewing. The Web designer who created the Web page made an error in the JavaScript—the programming language used to automate certain areas of a Web page.

You can't fix the Web page. The best you can do is contact someone at the Web site and let them know the page has errors. However, you can prevent this message box from being displayed. Unless you're a Web designer working with JavaScript, you have no reason to see if Web pages have errors.

Team please note the above Part...
Howie
That is incorrect. The web design (which is flawless) uses JavaScript to preload the FOV images ONLY.
When the IMAGE SERVER does not deliver the image, the error is generated to alert the USER to the error- in this case, indicating that images are missing.

Turning the error messages off does nothing to fix the errors- it only suppresses the notification box- the images still do not load and are missing from the FOV.

There is nothing wrong with the Virtual Microscope or Web Page coding. The StarDust@Home team is working closely with Amazon to determine the source of the image delivery problem.

I understand many are frustrated by this and your patience and understanding would be greatly appreciated. However, turning off the error messages may only serve to give you a false sense that you are viewing a complete movie, when in fact you may be missing the most important frame(s).

My advice is to try to reload the movie without errors; if that is unsuccessful, try to determine which frames are missing (top, bottom, middle of focus) and whether or not it affects your ability to determine the existence of a track candidate (you may be able to determine this by the location of the missing frames in the blue loading bar, or by seeing a 'jump' as you slide the focus bars). If you are able to get adequate data to make your determination, do so- if you cannot you may have to mark it as 'bad focus' for now.

Hope that clears some things up!
Howie

Thanks for the hard work mods and team and participants...

Post by Howie »

I agree with you, although hitting refresh does not help me and I see the missing frames when searching. Just nice to not chase the script boxes.

Thanks for the info...yesterday was pretty fast and only had 4 scripts in about an hour!!!

Howie
Howie

To Mods and Team!!!

Post by Howie »

Not to be a pest, just to let you know, because other post was locked, so,

As of 2:45 est Florida I cannot again get my events, no matter how long I wait...

Last post locked, said issue was closed, OK!!!

Forum and VM working!!!

Mod said it was the busy season and so on, well, I have had sparatic problems for 2 days or more, maybe it is Florida???

I have been on at 5 est am and 6 est pm and in between, so???

I think I should wait till the holidays are over and wait for our servor to work on our problems and then, maybe we can get it back together?

No Offense to anyone!!!

Sincerely
Howie
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Maybe it is just Florida, Howie.
I am not experiencing the problems you mention- The VM is working perfectly and MyEvents are correctly displayed.

Have you tried a traceroute?
Is there anyone in your area you can compare with that uses the same online service?
Does you provider offer a 'network status' page that can tell you if there is a local problem?
Are you using a wireless connection (whether or not it is on the system you log in with)?
Just a few ideas that might help narrow down the problem.
Howie

Thanks Dustbuster...

Post by Howie »

Don't know someone in my area that is Dusting...

I am on earthlink DSL on main modem...

Home Edition XP latedt edition and Explorer latest edition...

I will check into the other things you mentioned...

Thanks,
Howie

PS...just saw your update on SLOW Thread about problem!!!
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Here's an angle we haven't really explored yet:

Is there ANYONE on the board who has NOT had these JavaScript errors?
Howie

Post by Howie »

DustBuster wrote:Here's an angle we haven't really explored yet:

NOW I LIKE THIS POST!!!
SEE WHERE IT LEADS???
HOWIE
fflo

Post by fflo »

DustBuster wrote:Here's an angle we haven't really explored yet:

Usually I am working on my computer (Windows XP, Internet Explorer besides Netscape ) in the Netherlands. These days I am vacationing in Dubai, were I use my son's system (Windows XP, Internet Explorer besides Mozilla Firefox). In both locations I encounter these sporadic messages about 1, 2, or 3 missing frames in a movie.
I have never been bothered excessively neither by clicking these messages away nor by knowing which frames are missing.
The jumping to another movie at the end of some movies I find more cumbersome, albeit less frequent.

My opinion (from far outside Florida); and my ranking is only around 125, i.e. total movies viewed 33996.
fflo
Star Gezzer

Post by Star Gezzer »

Here is a short list of Java errors. They seem to appear with the re-rerun of focus movies.
2100650V1
2828544V1
8514488V1
766958V1
8517378V1
8034975V1
6598992V1
6311833V1
3325913V1
1514074V1
1346442V1
8063037V1