Image Processing The Movies ?

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Chronocide

Image Processing The Movies ?

Post by Chronocide »

I imagine that somebody here must like to experiment with image processing software. I tried a couple things to see if I could find an easy way to spot the tracks. I guess I'm not smart enough to do that but I did get some interesting pictures; well interesting to me, anyway. I don't feel too guilty about cluttering up the forum with this stuff because it isn't on Stardust's disk but if anybody thinks this is over the top I can scale the pictures down or delete the whole thing. No problem. I am anxious to see what might happen if somebody who knows what they are doing has a go at it!

This first one is just an average of all 40 frames of the tutorial movie #2.

Next is from a function that treats the stack of images as a volume and rotates it. I had to invert the colors because the software I used was designed for CAT scans and MRI images and the 3-D projection function instructions said it was looking for white on black.

Finally I tried to make most of the aerogel transparent. I had a lot of fun with this today.

Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Chronocide,

Does that conical white blur in the central image (near the "e" of Bottom Surface) represent the track?

If so, IMHO you may have found something useful...

Nice. Very nice.

-Shar
Chronocide

Post by Chronocide »

Hi Sharqua

It for sure isn't the track the arrow points toward in the movie. I'll admit it had me going for a few days but I have rationalized it, in my mind, to be a surface particle which looks progressively more blurry as the focus moves down. It didn't really jump out at me when I did the virtual microscope on the tutorial so if it is a track I would have missed it. I haven't had any relevant professional training so I don't really know what it is :)
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Interesting... I imagine reversing the color is very helpful.
Why use an MRI program? Hmm...
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Chronocide

Post by Chronocide »

Why use an MRI program? Hmm...

Scion Image is a Windows port of Mac software developed for the National Institutes of Health. I got it for free. Lots of nice filters, including FFT frequency domain, but steep learning curve.

http://www.scioncorp.com/pages/scion_image_windows.htm
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Thanks.
What's Chronocide? Is that like genocide? Oh, wait, I get it. That must be where someone goes back in time to kill the parents or anscestors of the person they want to have killed. Am I right? Hmm...There's some interesting paradoxes that would set up.
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

Actually, it says to me that his name is "killing time".

Anyway, interesting idea. I'll have to play around with GIMPshop to see if I can get something simmilar.
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.
fjgiie
DustMod

Name Chronocide

Post by fjgiie »

or changing color into black and white,
no that would be chromacide.