Sry to bother u again but is this movie real? Cause if ...

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

tanis

Sry to bother u again but is this movie real? Cause if ...

Post by tanis »

5673953V1 ???
fjgiie
DustMod

Check for yourself -

Post by fjgiie »

Hi tanis,

Go to the "My Events" page and see if you can find movie number 5673953V1 .
Here is that movie number displayed in the "myevents_viewer"
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =5673953V1 (real movie and also bad focus)
If you cannot find movie number 5673953V1 in your events, then you clicked on a "Calibration Movie"

Please go to this link and read the definition of "Real Movie" http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/definitions.php

In definitions, it says:
Real Movie
"An ordinary focus movie, created from the aerogel that flew on the Stardust mission. (As opposed to a Calibration Movie.)"

Also please see definition of "Calibration Movie".
Calibration Movie
"A focus movie for which we know the answer. We created the calibration movies using Stardust aerogel movies, but some of them have tracks digitally inserted. We used images of tracks from laboratory shots into Earth-bound test aerogel. When you use the Virtual Microscope, some of the focus movies you see will be calibration movies. They may or may not have a track in them, but they are all in focus. We use them to test your skill at recognizing tracks."

The point that I am trying to make is this:
If you clicked on a large track in a calibration movie, it will not show up in your "My Events" page.

Thanks,

fjgiie
tanis

Post by tanis »

I am 100% sure that this is not the movie I even copied and paste the number in my notebook from the original page. Anyway...
stargazer

Calibration movie numbers

Post by stargazer »

I remeber reading about the movie numbers for calibration movies. These numbers are not actual identifiers; they are randomly generated and just used for display.

So if you try to view the movie number associated with one of your calibration movies, it might point to a real movie that you may or may not have seen.

Calibration movies are a really good idea - correct answers earn you participation points, these are used to weight your answers on real movies (for evaluation purposes) and are really good for learning all the different possible appearances for real movies.
After all, the scientists don't really know what a real idp track looks like. Maybe they are closer to discovery, now that they have examined a lot of candidate tracks identified by all the "dusters".

One of the negatives about the calibration movie numbers is that there is no way to go back later on and look at it again to review an incorrect answer. You can immediately use the Back button on the browser to see the movies you have just seen; but you will not be able to correct your mistake.
You will know that you have seen a calibration movie if your score is changed (Calibration movies answered correctly or answered incorrectly)

Cheers,
Stargazer
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
--Albert Einstein
tanis

Post by tanis »

I will give u that it is a good answer but i used the back page button and it was the same movie i dont know what to say :S.
fjgiie
DustMod

Calibration Movie

Post by fjgiie »

Hi tanis,

This old post may help:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1171

Thanks,

fjgiie