Separation of computers from us hoi polloi

Post here if you are having any kind of problem with the Stardust@home website.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

blewis

Post by blewis »

It is taking longer and longer for me to download the movies. Perhaps part of this is that many more have joined the search since August when I did. Another reason could be that the smart guys who did what some thought couldn't be done (i.e., develop a computer model capable of searching and identifying) are tying up the site all day and all night with the computer searches. How about having a separate site for the computer geniuses to compete for time among themselves, and leave the original site to us human plodders?
Pooh
Jwb52z

Post by Jwb52z »

Well, first of all, this is not a contest. There are no prizes for performance. Second of all, TPTB here have said that they do not mind the one person who created a program to search doing so. They allowed that person to do it.
blewis

Reply to Jwb52z

Post by blewis »

You misunderstood my message. I am not concerned about prizes -- I work full time and go to school part time and am trying to find some time during the 24 hours when it doesn't take so long to download movies. It's only computers that don't sleep, and if one program can be developed, so can others, to run searches night and day. I have no objection to computer searches, the more that can be developed the faster the movies can be scanned and faster we can get to our mutual goal. My objection is to the apparent slowness for my own attempts. Perhaps there is some other reason why downloading the movies is taking longer than before, and why I have so many error messages re Javascript. Something has changed, and I was just guessing about its cause. If the Team leaders could tell me its cause, I will quit fretting.
Pooh
gustin

Post by gustin »

Agree with you
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

To our knowledge there are currently no more computer programs operating in the search.

Slow site problems are being caused by more mundane things such as buggy code, network problems, etc. Normal internet quirkiness.

We're doing all we can to ensure that things runs as smoothly as possible.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
blewis

Thanks, Bryan

Post by blewis »

Just needed to know why the change from fast to slow, between August to date, in downloading movies.
Pooh