Do bad focus clicks register in My Events?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

skeeter

Do bad focus clicks register in My Events?

Post by skeeter »

On a movie in My Events, does the number of viewers include those who have viewed this movie and clicked "Bad Focus" or does it only include track and no track clicks?

skeeter
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi skeeter.

Focus movies that you indicate 'Bad Focus' are not included in your total movies viewed and are not counted for or against your number correct/incorrect.
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

I understand that. But if I click on what I think is a track and the movie goes into My Events & I go back later to look at it, does the number of viewers for that movie include bad focus clicks?
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Hi Skeeter!

No. The number is the number of agreements only. In other words, it is the total amount of people who said "I think something is there!" If you don't already know, if you click on something, you need to go to "My Events" immediately if you want to know if you are the first. If the number of agreements equals one, then you are the first. If it is larger than one, then you are not the first. If you haven't done that before, there is no way to know if you are the first or not.

I hope that helps and have fun!
From dust we come
fjgiie
DustMod

Here is the question

Post by fjgiie »

The "My Events" page look something like this:

_______________Total________Number of
Particle number__.viewings_____Agreements______Official status
Movie 598677V1__316________ 72_____________ Passed cut 1 possible interstellar dust particle

The question is does Total viewings go up with a "Bad Focus" click on this movie?

Anyone know the answer?
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

fjgiie was kind enough to request verification from a StarDust@Home team member about your question and should have those facts in short order- please stand by...
the moon

Post by the moon »

Clicking bad focus does not make the total viewings go up. There is a third hidden column for bad focus clicks.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Yes, if a movie was viewed and determined to have "Bad Focus" the total number of times viewed will increase.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
Groundling

Totals?

Post by Groundling »

Hi skeeter;
It strikes me that this issue is still a bit confusing.
If you hit "bad focus", you'r personal total movies viewed will not increase.
However, it still counts for the total that your CMs are issued on.
The computer still counts it in the overall count that only the computer uses.
It would be amaizing if this did not add to the confusion.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
WorWizard

Bad Focus movies

Post by WorWizard »

I have never seen any of my events alter when clicking "Bad focus" UNLESS you are clicking bad focus on a CM that is either a CM of a real track or you are erronious in clicking a CM that should be clicked "bad focus" and you click a track on it. Which, I have done on the same CM at least 8 times that I can recall. It gets me every time. But none the less. I've never incremented my statistics in any way by clicking "bad focus" It only counts as viewed if you click a track, click no track, or time out. It's almost like clicking on the "PASS, No clue" button and you do not get any credit for it

WW
GelDelve

Post by GelDelve »

WorWizard wrote:It's almost like clicking on the "PASS, No clue" button and you do not get any credit for it.
WorWizard, just where is that button? I mean, there are many times I wish I could click that! But that would be a real cop out, wouldn't it? Either you judge something of interest or you don't. And I think that is exactly what you are saying here!
WorWizard

Post by WorWizard »

No, Not at all. I'm saying that I've never gotten credit for bad focus movies. EXCEPT when it's a CM of a bad focus movie. but never for a real one was any field in my statistics incrimented.

But it would be cool to have a NO CLUE button. LOL
the moon

Post by the moon »

There are no CMs in bad focus. Unless I'm mistaken CMs should never be marked bad focus.

And bmendez's comment confuses me because when I see the posts with peoples' my events pages, the movies that you can tell most people would have marke bad focus have far fewer total views on average then normal movies. It could be a coincidence, I don't have a large sample size, but it probably isn't. I'm sure the team is shown how many real total views and bad focus clicks each movie has, but I think on our events page, a bad focus click doesn't increase the total for that movie.

And if you want to "pass" on a movie, just switch to another webpage, like the events page, and switch back and you'll have a new movie.
WorWizard

Post by WorWizard »

the moon wrote:There are no CMs in bad focus. Unless I'm mistaken CMs should never be marked bad focus.

And bmendez's comment confuses me because when I see the posts with peoples' my events pages, the movies that you can tell most people would have marke bad focus have far fewer total views on average then normal movies. It could be a coincidence, I don't have a large sample size, but it probably isn't. I'm sure the team is shown how many real total views and bad focus clicks each movie has, but I think on our events page, a bad focus click doesn't increase the total for that movie.

And if you want to "pass" on a movie, just switch to another webpage, like the events page, and switch back and you'll have a new movie.

You can't pass on a movie. even if you log out or time out and if it's a CM it will still count. At least it has for me about 6 to 10 times already. Once it's on your screen it counts

And there are indeed many bad focus movies that are CM's in my epperience anyway

WW
Last edited by WorWizard on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

WorWizard wrote:And ther indeed many bad focus movies that are CM's
My experience has been that positive CMs have always been in focus, with all frames arriving without problem. However, I've also seen quite a number of negative CMs delivered with a reduced number of frames surrounding the mid-focus level (and trying to re-load them to get the full range has almost never worked). As a result, as WW may be implying, clicking bad-focus on these has unfortunately cost me about a quarter of the points I've lost.

So now, as long as I can see a reasonable depth above and below a well-defined mid-point in order to decide there's unlikely to have been a surface-penetrating event (say 4-5 frames each way), I click 'No track'.

John

P.S. If you want to cheat, you can quite often tell negative CMs from their subtle pixellation (due to jpeg compression) - it's not nearly as gross and easily-spotted as as the positive ones, which have long been an absolute give-away!