Who is Online?

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

skeeter

Who is Online?

Post by skeeter »

At the bottom of the forum FAQ screen there is a section titled Who's On Line. It shows there are 2790 registered users??? Where did this figure come from? Are these only actively tracking users and the other 16,000 have dropped out?

Right now it shows there are currently 12 users online.
"In total there are 12 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]"
It shows the registered user as me. Soooo - what is a hidden user? (there was one earlier)

Just curious.

"Who is Online
Our users have posted a total of 10019 articles
We have 2790 registered users
The newest registered user is khaley3778
In total there are 12 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
Most users ever online was 102 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:27 am
Registered Users: skeeter
This data is based on users active over the past five minutes"

Update: I just figured out the 2790 refers to registered forum users, not registered trackers. Is there similar information available on active trackers. Judging from some of the posts I've seen recently I'm guessing there are only about 25% of the registered trackers who are actively tracking? Is this anywhere close to accurate?
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: Forum Members

Post by fjgiie »

Hi skeeter, of Tennessee, number 39, with score of 14924, 39, 41, ....

That is you, isn't it? :)
skeeter wrote:At the bottom of the forum FAQ screen there is a section titled Who's On Line. It shows there are 2790 registered users??? Where did this figure come from? Are these only actively tracking users and the other 16,000 have dropped out?
From HERE we see that "forum membership is optional and separate from registering to search for stardust."
While we have 18991 members who have registered to use the virtual microscope, we have only 2790 members who have signed up to our community forum. If you will check the memberlist you will see around 2245 members listed. The other 545 members have a web site listed in their profile and are hidden from our view of the memberlist. This was done to help keep robot spammers from posting to our forum.
Soooo - what is a hidden user? (there was one earlier)
You can go to your profile and select hidden user if you like. But why do that. I like to see who I am talking to. :) Sometimes an administrator or moderator will be hidden while doing admins things.
I just figured out the 2790 refers to registered forum users, not registered trackers. Is there similar information available on active trackers. Judging from some of the posts I've seen recently I'm guessing there are only about 25% of the registered trackers who are actively tracking? Is this anywhere close to accurate?
I am having trouble keeping up with you - :)
Some searchers are a lot more active than others. There are posts in the Community forum that show how active. I saw where rank #7046 had 77 points.

Thanks,

fjgiie
the moon

Post by the moon »

Right now it says 3 registered users, 1 hidden, 13 guests. So 13 out of 17 forum users don't register, with 2794 registered users that means theres ~9000 people that read the forum but don't register. So ~12,000 total, out of 19,000 dusters, 63% read the forum. That's a lot better then I was expecting, it's good to know most people are trying to educate themselves instead of going it alone.
Groundling

Post by Groundling »

Hi the moon;
Also remember you do not have to "log in" to read the Forum. I often just look at the Forum in the morning without logging unless I have something to say. Anyone not logged in is counted as a guest.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
the moon

Post by the moon »

Oh yeah, I knew that and completely forgot. That stupid automactically log me in box does nothing. Well ok, so it's much much less then 60% after all.
spincrus

Post by spincrus »

the moon wrote:Oh yeah, I knew that and completely forgot. That stupid automactically log me in box does nothing. Well ok, so it's much much less then 60% after all.
It's probably because you have cookies disabled on your browser or some security settings set high.
spincrus est imperare orbi universo!
spincrus erit in orbe ultima!
spincrus invictus...
the moon

Post by the moon »

You'd think so, but this type of phpbb site is the only kind of website I have any issues with. The dozens of other websites and forums I use have no problems with cookies or keeping me loged in.
ac220

Re: Forum Members

Post by ac220 »

fjgiie wrote:I am having trouble keeping up with you - :)
Some searchers are a lot more active than others. There are posts in the Community forum that show how active. I saw where rank #7046 had 77 points.
I'm 8585 currently with 51 points, it took me just a few hours to get there. so, I'd say that couple thousand dusters has zero or negative score, 2000 or so did 100-300 movies, and 4000 did 10-100. Really active users should be the rest...