Science, Engineering & Other Relevant Issues

Archived here are older posts which are no longer relevant or were redundant.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

spk72

Science, Engineering & Other Relevant Issues

Post by spk72 »

I’m finding it hard to locate threads that aren’t cluttered up with a bunch of dribble that doesn’t seem to have anything to do with this project. Although it may be anecdotally interesting where every one is from or what you plan on naming a particle if you find one that’s not why I wanted to do this project. Lets try and keep the posts here related to Science, Engineering & Other Relevant Issues regarding stardust@home. I know this may anger many people so if you want to post a reply telling me your opinions on what the discussion board should be please do it on a different thread or send me a PM. Just so you know I won’t read the PM unless it related specifically to Science, Engineering & Other Relevant Issues. Thanks in advance for your co-operation.
Well done is better than well said.
Benjamin Franklin
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

spk72,

This very subject is being discussed privately -- I suggested an "off topic" forum awhile back to Anna in a private message and she is trying to work out the details to see if it can be accomplished.

Your patience is respectfully requested. :)

Kind Regards,

-Donna
Sundevil

Post by Sundevil »

I would suggest a general discussion board as well. I like to find out who else is out there and why they are interested in the project.
his ride2

Post by his ride2 »

A general discussion board would be nice so I dont get mixed up on whats important and whats not.
"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one can not stay in the cradle forever" - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
spk72

Explosive Debate: Supernova Dust Lost and Found

Post by spk72 »

Benjamin Franklin
HarleyDan

Post by HarleyDan »

I have to agree with all of you, I joined Setiathome for the pure science of it and after 7 years and over 10's of thousnds of hours I've logged, I still hope E.T. will call our home at some point. :?

I was an alpha test participant, they (stardust) did a fantastic job to make it fair to everyone, The whole intent of this adventure is to discover new things about the universe, without personal gain. It will really hard to cheat the way things are set up, beleive me I went through the Alpha test..... :shock:

I did a scearch and found that 90 percent of the people leaving comments or critticisms are younger than 25 and have no regard for the science of the project based on the comments that were left , but to "make a name for themselves" :roll: There are a few who choose to "spam" or try to take controll of the site with opinions and polls that do little or no good to the science of the project.

When the project "goes live" everyone will see what it's all about and will act accourdingly, as would be expected in any science experiment.

Cheers
Harley Dan
spk72

Ice age bacteria brought back to life

Post by spk72 »

http://www.newscientistspace.com/channe ... ogy/dn7064

Reading this article made me wonder what precautions are being taken to insure there is nothing trapped in the aerogel that we might not want here on Earth. Could we be giving a deadly bacteria a free ride past the protective ozone?
Benjamin Franklin
Ferrum

Post by Ferrum »

Fine spk72...I'll stay away from "dribble" on your thread (what exactly is dribble? I hope drivel is fine :lol: ). I think you already know my opinion on OT threads anyway, and it's all somewhat irrelevant at this point, as the mods/admins have made their position clear.

Seriously though, a couple of quick thoughts.
HarleyDan wrote:I did a scearch and found that 90 percent of the people leaving comments or critticisms are younger than 25 and have no regard for the science of the project based on the comments that were left , but to "make a name for themselves"
HarleyDan, where exactly did you happen to do this search? I sincerely find it difficult to believe that 90% of the participants "have no regard for the science of the project."

With regard to the possible presence of extremophiles in interstellar dust spk72, perhaps these websites will help.

http://www.astrobio.net/news/modules.ph ... e&sid=1100

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/98/5/2128

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/multim ... /san9.html

In short, it's very clear that NASA is aware of possible astrobiological contamination of earth, and has spent decades researching possible contamination. I am curious though spk72...how exactly does the ozone alone protect us from an invasion by bacteria of extraplanetary origin?
spk72 wrote:Could we be giving a deadly bacteria a free ride past the protective ozone?
Thanks.
The integral sec y dy
From zero to one-sixth of pi
Is the log to base e
Of the square root of three.
Um...times the square root of the fourth power of i.
spk72

Post by spk72 »

Thanks for the great links, lots of good info.

Don't think I implied that the "ozone alone" protects us, but one could assume that rocks or dust with frozen microbial life forms would burn upon entry into the atmosphere.
Benjamin Franklin
Aquila Hawk

Post by Aquila Hawk »

Oh, Ozone is a great sterilizer. It even drives state employees out of their building (case in Albany where a restoration company sprayed ozone for hours to get rid of the smell of a dead animal in the county courthouse, and weeks later forced several offices to move out) However, I think the thermoshpere takes care of most alien microbes. :D
Everyone talks about SOH CAH TOA, but no one ever talks about CHO SHA CAO.