How would a student go about teaching?

Teachers and Students, use this forum to discuss ideas for using Stardust@home in the classroom.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

I agree that you wouldn't want to boost entheusiam and then have them wait. However, at this point, I think it might be ok to start now. We are VERY close to starting and it will take time to gather a group for a presenation. I think if I didn't know about it already, I would be more excited to be in on it at the very beginning than to come into it afterwards. Besides, that may give some of them time to view the posts and get some questions answered instead of rushing through them to get to the movies and asking the same questions afterwards. Does that sound like it would be ideal? :?:
From dust we come
Azrieling

Post by Azrieling »

We have 'smart' classrooms with a projection screen and internet access. If you have this available, check media services at the school, then you could just log on after you have given an intro in comets and scroll through a few movies. You'll probably hit a calibration movie in which the students will excitedly be able to see a track. If you don't have a smart classroom, you probably have a pull down projection screen, access to a labtop and hopefully a portable projector and wireless service. If not, maybe internet on one of the school's computer lab. I am definitly going to incorporate this into the next comet lab (they get to make a comet with dry ice, dirt, molasses and water). fun, fun, fun!
Strange people don't bother me, I bother strange people....
bmshaw

Re: How would a student go about teaching?

Post by bmshaw »

Siegfried wrote:But really, these kids are total idiots, not all of them, but most of them (you know the type: shaved head, baggy pants, cell phone ringing in class, rap, writing gangster-style in their notebooks, which are otherwise devoid of anything).
I know this is an old post, but... my advice would be to not sneer at them, not assume they're idiots, and not act superior. The perception that someone is looking down their nose at you is a real turn-off for the enthusiasm.

Make the material interesting, and people who are not interested in the subject will become interested. That's something that I find a lot of teachers lack -- they only know how to teach people who are already on the same wavelength as themselves.
I visited a planet where the dominant sentient life form had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this lousy F-shirt.
pinak_samal

Post by pinak_samal »

"I know this is an old post, but... my advice would be to not sneer at them, not assume they're idiots, and not act superior. The perception that someone is looking down their nose at you is a real turn-off for the enthusiasm. ------"

Thats what he wrote,but today,most of the students dont have enthusiasm at the first place!;-)
My class students will make a perfect example! :!: :roll: