Noticeable Changes in The Movies,,,Intended to help All...

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Howie

Noticeable Changes in The Movies,,,Intended to help All...

Post by Howie »

HI There,

Has anyone besides myself, noticed the change in the movies?
Feel free to respond!

1. CM movies are getting smaller and changing what they look like?
2 CM movies without a track are getting trickier?
3. Cm movies without track, are on the edge of what I would call, BAD
FOCUS? And yet they are CM's?
4. I was told in other posts and other threads, that I click too much, but
viewing forum pics and forum posts, that, I am sticking in there with
quite a few others and clicking on the same as others have viewed
already and most are large views...

The point of this post is...To Learn!!!

Click or do not click!!! That is the question and your score depends on it,
but, helping know what to click on in a real movie helps...plus when I finally see a real movie that is a real track, I will have learned, and not waste time with, inclusions, and garbage!

Post here, your possibilities of real and not real!
The small team is doing the best they can with their mission, which I think is too large for 6 people.

I am willing to help the team, and forget about score, rank, etc.,
I would help, just to help!!! 6 People doing all this???

Sincerely,
Howie
Groundling

As the track turns

Post by Groundling »

Hello Howie;
I have noticed the change in CM tracks for some time. They have changed gradually for some time now but I
couldn't say when it started. Perhaps the changes were in the works from the start. I certainly would think it was.
My score suffered at first but I just slowed down a bit and searched more carefully.
My judgement on "bad focus" has changed several times. At first, all CM's had the surface near the top of
the scale but I now find some that are below the center. On the other hand, the "tracks" tend to be visible closer to the "surface".
I have found that the "inclusions" occured in bunches. That is, if I found one, I would find others at the same level.(not likely to find 2 or 3 real tracks together) In addition, they would go out of focus quickly where a "track" should continue some distance down from first detection.
I will never get into the top 100, but I still take pride in my score and my percentages.( We are competitive animals aren't we?) I continue to adjust my judgement as I go along since I believe the team is continually
changing. After all, they haven't had much more time at this than we have.
No matter what, we will have to look at a movie and make our own decision. So it's just a matter of our own goals.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
the moon

Post by the moon »

I haven't noticed the CMs changing at all. Most of them are still the big obvious tracks with a rare tiny one, the same as it was when we started. Anyway, you want help deciding what to click and what not to, so I went back and looked at some of the movies when you posted your whole events page. I started from the bottom, the most recent ones, and looked at the ones when only you or one other clicked them. I don't see any tracks in these, so if you tell us what you saw in these then maybe we can help explain why they're not good track candidates.
1. http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =6025518V1
2. http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =5246430V1
3. http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9842479V1
4. http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=602927V1
5. http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =1422748V1
6. http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=333879V1

By the way, this list could go on and on. I'd estimate at least half of your events have 3 or less agreements.
tim_yoda

feedback

Post by tim_yoda »

Hi Howie!

1. CM movies are getting smaller and changing what they look like?

I've noticed a big change in the CMs with tracks. but the tracks got smaller not the movies! :lol:

2 CM movies without a track are getting trickier?

And yes, the non-tracked CMs have become more cluttered and busy!

4. I was told in other posts and other threads, that I click too much...."

In machinist terms;
I think that the machine piece (search crieria) ran out of spec. The design engineer (SD team) authorized a "Revision" to the production process (CM changes) resulting in offsets (CM changes) in the production process, ergo revised inspection paramiters. (clickety click) Now the production team (us) is burdened with changes in the process.

Change is good, and Iwouldn't respect this search if the criteria (CMs) were the same as day 1. Good job STARDUSTWEBGODS! :D

The small team is doing the best they can with their mission, which I think is too large for 6 people.YesI am willing to help the team, and forget about score, rank, etc.,

I too am willing to help, but with a big fat paycheck! :P
So there.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Howie (and tim_yoda) - I know you've been here at least as long as me, but I can't say I've noticed any changes in the CMs, other than the usual learning curve in finding more of the subtle tracks that were in fact there right from the beginning but I happened miss! Mind you, they have actually said (not sure where) that they do occasionally withdraw and ?change CMs where thought best. Quite right too - the CMs are there to keep us awake and on our toes!

Groundling - I have to agree with the moon. Can't see anything of interest in any of those movies, but my eyes might not be acute as yours - just what exactly did you click on? If the things we're looking for are that subtle and so rarely clicked on, then there's not much hope this project is ever going to fulfil its purpose - i.e. help the scientists pick out the most likely candidates to look at first, based on the frequency of our votes.
Groundling

changes

Post by Groundling »

Hi jsmaje;
I did not agree with anyones picks for tracks. I merely agreed that to my
eyes, the "CM's" are changing. As a matter of fact I submitted a post quite some time ago the this effect.
My intent is only to draw attention to the fact that we can easily become compacent.
I believe that we all see a proper procedure in determining what is or is not a track.
I merely point out that my own procedure can and will be modified.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
jdrockster

evolving

Post by jdrockster »

Yes Howie, I too have noticed a change in the movies. THANK GOODNESS! The deja vu syndrome was starting to get to me. It is pretty bad when you can mark them from memory before they are even focused. I have only viewed >9k movies so I can only imagine how you must be after >16k. We were told by Stardust@Home to mark anything under the surface.....click on! I guess we need to adjust to the inclusions so they don't have to check so many. We will evolve just as the program evolves as more data is available. Who knows, maybe some of the inclusions are particles from the other side of the tiles???CLICK-ON DUDE! :shock:
Dust2Dust...Dust4Dust!
the moon

Post by the moon »

jsmaje wrote:Groundling - I have to agree with the moon. Can't see anything of interest in any of those movies, but my eyes might not be acute as yours - just what exactly did you click on?
Those were actually movies that Howie had posted, sorry I forgot to note that.

Also a theory, maybe they have classifications for the CMs, big, medium, small tracks, and once your score gets up in the 1000s you get a lot more small ones to help keep you focused. My score is only 800 something, I spend a lot more time on the forum then on the VM, so that could be why I haven't noticed any change.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

I don't have the post readily available, but all the movies are given in reandom assignments. You may not notice a difference as much if you did not view the movies heavily in the beginning. I noticed a slight difference and I am not a top ranker, so I think it's just a matter of what you become accusomed to.
Does that make sense?
From dust we come
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

The calibration movies have not been modified in any way for well over a month now.

The Virtual Microscope serves up all movies at random.

About 20% (1 in 5) movies seen will be calibration movies. Calibration movies are not meant to be a teaching device. They are a calibration device to help us rank the candidiate tracks chosen by you, the volunteers. They are by no means perfect, but they are doing what we need them to be doing so far. We are not seeing movies with surface scratches etc. rising to the top of the candidate list, and those that are rising to the top genuinely have things worth checking out in them. We will adjust the calibration movies in the future as we learn more about what real interstellar dust tracks look like.

Thanks all,
-Bryan
Last edited by bmendez on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
Howie

Thanks to all that added to this post!!!

Post by Howie »

Hi There,

I think I started a thread that has kept us all awake!!!

As for me, I think everyone is right!!! We are learning, all of us plus team!

To clarify the changes I mentioned...which some of you caught,,,

The Cm's went from the big bulls eye to the real small kinda speckled circle...yes over a month ago team,,,and cm's without tracks using non-track CM's from no track movies!

To Moon,,,,,,,,why not spend more time on searching, then forum...
I come here to learn and relax,,,otherwise I am searching and I am now ranked about 160 for the little time I have to really spend on searching...

But I keep cranking away, just like mr xmas has passed the Ck program while trying to do his xmas thing!
I HOPE HE FINISHES XMAS PROJECT AND STAYS # 1 !!!!!!

THANKS, To All
Howie
Howie

Updated events list...........Today!!!

Post by Howie »

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:14 pm Post subject: Holy Molie,,,My list just got updated today!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Again,

Yes, I have a big list since I started this, but, I could not believe the team official comment changes today!!!

Quite alot of new updates,,, Plus I clicked more on some movies that must have been recanned for bad focus...some I clicked on only have a 3 or 4 out of 6 or 10...

My new outlook is we still don't really have a real track or multiple real tracks to learn, so I click on something I have not seen before and or very unusual...I have a decent score and % and fair rank, so I am pleased that I think I am going the right way, even if some say I click too much !!!

How about you???

Howie
the moon

Re: Thanks to all that added to this post!!!

Post by the moon »

Howie wrote:To Moon,,,,,,,,why not spend more time on searching, then forum...
Cause I'm just one man among thousands. It doesn't really matter much if I click a track or not cause it gets viewed so many other times. But on the forum I can educate many people and help them make better decisions on the movies, and therefore make a bigger difference.
Howie

Re: Thanks to all that added to this post!!!

Post by Howie »

the moon wrote:
Howie wrote:To Moon,,,,,,,,why not spend more time on searching, then forum...
Cause I'm just one man among thousands. It doesn't really matter much if I click a track or not cause it gets viewed so many other times. But on the forum I can educate many people and help them make better decisions on the movies, and therefore make a bigger difference.
No offense meant, but, I just thought you, with your expertise, may find what we all may miss!!!
Howie
Howie

New comments from team on my list....

Post by Howie »

OK, Here are some of the new comments by team??? Confuse me just a little?
Not Extraterrestrial probable inclusion
Passed cut 1 possible interstellar dust particle
Passed cut 1 bad focus, cannot evaluate, will rescan
Not Extraterrestrial probable dust on surface
Not Extraterrestrial probable aerogel fragment
Passed cut 1 possible interstellar dust particle

Does PROBABLE mean they are going to check further?
Howie