High Angle Tracks - Formerly Low Angle Tracks

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

greuti

Post by greuti »

DustBuster wrote:654999V1

I think I may have seen this one before
You must be joking! :wink:

Edit: Don't you?
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Joking? I am not sure what you mean.

I think I've clicked on that low angle track before, but I am unable to confirm since the MyEvents page has been unavailable. Either that or I saw it somewhere in the forum as it looks familiar.
greuti

Post by greuti »

DustBuster wrote:Joking? I am not sure what you mean..
Has been cleared via pm.
tiggertim

Re 654999V1

Post by tiggertim »

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

654999V1

I think I may have seen this one before
You have seen this before, see page 2 of low angle tracks, I put a note about it there. 8)

Well spotted.

Tim.
There is more to life that just the world we live on
rlcwik

Post by rlcwik »

VM550373V1

This one had me going this morning. I see a definate track below the surface but there was nothing to see at the end so I labled it Bad Focus but something made this track.
tanis

If this is what u mean...

Post by tanis »

I think we have a winner :)
tanis

sorry

Post by tanis »

xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

tiggertim

Post by tiggertim »

Very Nice, a good low angle track.

Well done.

Tim.
There is more to life that just the world we live on
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

While partially obscured by crud, I can convince myself of a subsurface 2 inch linear feature here; the ends are indicated by the arrows (from movie 142290V1, bottom right quadrant):

It appears to contain 5 dust particles towards the lower end coming into focus over the last few bars, but would seem to be very shallow for a LAT.
Opinions?

John
greuti

Post by greuti »

Hi John,

Difficult, I think it looks (more than a little) like a track. But it's even more difficult to determine the part where the particle entered into the aerogel. There are too many contaminations around here and also it seems the surface is not even.

Maybe one of the very shallow tracks that Bryan mentioned here.
star2steerby

142290v1

Post by star2steerby »

Hi John.
I think it's an excellent possible LAT. Though very shallow, there's no reason it can't be. Theoretically, low angle tracks can be at any angle and disposition, however unlikely. This one is certainly intrigueing and gets my vote for a possible IDP. These are just the kind of images and speculations that continue to make this project exciting for me. I think I've also noticed that VM's with coparatively low I.D. no's. such as this one, are more likely to contain something interesting and may have already been eyeballed as possible candidates by the Home team. Or am I imagining things?

Gerry
Everything reminds me of everything else
fjgiie
DustMod

Now High Angle Track

Post by fjgiie »

7270647V1 What surprised me was 7 looked and only 3 clicked. :shock:
jsmaje

Re: Now High Angle Track

Post by jsmaje »

fjgiie wrote: 7270647V1 What surprised me was 7 looked and only 3 clicked. :shock:
I'm surprised too, and find it a bit worrying: how obvious does such a high-angle track have to be before people notice and log it?
Unless of course they've decided to only consider low-angle interstellar 'carrot' tracks.

My understanding is that the team want us to log all possible tracks, including the high-angle ones, whether they be interplanetary or perhaps from micrometeorite collision spray. Only when they eventually get to analyse them them can they know what's what. Am I wrong?

Greuti will probably know if this particular one has already been registered at lo-res.

PS. to anyone reading this who hasn't yet realised, the team recently deemed that what dusters had been calling 'high-angle' tracks are now 'low-angle', and vice versa. As if things weren't confusing enough already!
So (Mods!!!) isn't it time this 'Low angle' topic be renamed (with appropriate pre-LAT>HAT entries edited accordingly) or replaced?
Jwb52z

Post by Jwb52z »

Did they explain why the "change" in angle designation was made somewhere? I hadn't read that news.