Abbreviations, IDP, Ejecta, WCO

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Jwb52z

Post by Jwb52z »

the moon wrote:Yeah I know, but the spacecraft didn't leave the solar system so why do they use the term interstellar? What's the difference between intersteller and interplanetary particules? And why would their tracks looks different?
I don't know what the difference is between the particles exactly except that there could be some kind of rare substance that is a sign of an interstellar particle. On the other hand, it is very likely that the angle of the particle can be extrapolated backward to produce a specific "heading" that the particle was traveling along when it hit which could be used in conjunction with planetary movement knowledge to know if it likely came from another planet or if it couldn't have likely come from a known planet. They use the term interstellar because the dust has come from outside the solar system. Tracks can vary in appearance due to several things, namely the size of the particle, speed of the particle when it hit the aerogel, or the angle it was going along at in relation to the aerogel when it hit it.
Last edited by Jwb52z on Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Your right it never left the solar system, Why the difference and why they look different is because the interstellar particles flow toward the sun in a predictable direction so if you fly directly toward that direction interstellar particles will hit the collector at around 90 degrees meaning should be strait in small tracks... Everything else will hit the collector and angles so you get large tracks, make sense? It was actually explained to me also here on the forum. I didn't understand why they are called small tracks and large tracks.
pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

I would suggest reading this page: Science, which gives some information on Interstellar Dust.
sub212

Post by sub212 »

Yupp, IDP Interplanetray Dust particle. Or dust from the solar panels.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=433711V1
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=433711V1

LOOOL, just when copying this in here I realised, I clicked twice on the same movie, and have it mentioned twice in my events... fonny.

This one is WCO (worth checking out): Movie 930740V1
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

IDP stands for Interplanetary Dust Particle. Sometime astronomers also call this Zodiacal dust. It is dust in the plane of the Solar System that originates from objects in the Solar System.

I think Ejecta refers to secondary impacts from spray resulting from the impact of IDPs or cometary dust particles with the Stardust spacecraft.
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Many thanks everyone!
Syllavus

Help With Terminology

Post by Syllavus »

Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer here to Stardust, I've only been searching for particles for a few days, but I've been enjoying myself very much.

I've checked out the various FAQs on the Stardust site to try and answer some questions that I have, but I've been unable to find the answer. I'm hoping some of the more veteran posters on this forum could perhaps help me out.

Currently, there are two movies that I've reviewed, which are listed as having "passed cut 1". One of these two movies says, "another IDP" under the Stardust@HomeTeam official comment, and the other says, "IS candidate??". Being a newcomer, and not particularly well-versed in Stardust, I've no idea what these official comments actually mean. Could someone offer this layman (laywoman?) some sort of translation so that I can understand what "another IDP" and "IS candidate??" mean? Or point me in the direction of a post where I can find this information?

Many thanks, and I'm quite happy to be aboard.
Syllavus

Post by Syllavus »

Many thanks for all the insight and explanations in this topic. It's cleared up a lot of questions that I had.
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Thanks everyone for the info. I was wondering about this myself. Thanks also for the link to the Science page. Very helpful.
biglittledragoon

Post by biglittledragoon »

Hello,

I confirm that we need a better glossary in the defintion page.

Few minutes ago, I was very very very excited; it was the first time I see a movie on which I am pretty to find a track.

So, I get a look on My Events and I see "Passed cut 1 IDP?.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I found here what means IDP, but I still searching for the exact meaning of "Passed cut 1"...

Thanks,

BLD
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Passed cut one means it will be scheduled for a new look by a human with the microscope not automated computer. It's the one you want. If it passes this first cut it goes for second cut review with the microscope and if it passes that it will be scheduled for removal from the collector in the future some time.
biglittledragoon

Post by biglittledragoon »

Thanks! :)
Seckler303b

What means WCO ?

Post by Seckler303b »

Hi there,
what means "WCO" in the official comments on some movies in the "list of data viewed" ?

greetings
Seckler303
fjgiie
DustMod

WCO

Post by fjgiie »

Seckler303b

Post by Seckler303b »

Thanks fjgiie,

I swear I didn't find it in the "definitions" site...
English is a hard thing for me :wink:

Seckler303