Instant particle recognition

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

rbolo28

Instant particle recognition

Post by rbolo28 »

I read another post where someone claimed to recognize a particle in the first few frames. I have to disagree that you can recognize a particle before the movie is fully loaded.

However, once it is fully loaded and the focus bar is all the way at the bottom..then it is possible to recognize a "tell tale" circular to oval shaped black ring on the surface of the gel where the particle entered. Nothing will be in focus unless there is something on the surface of the gel like a circular hole.

Also, as you begin to zoom up or deeper into the gel then the particle will seemingly explode and disappear.

I have marked and found maybe 30 results so far that I'm nearly positive are particles. I do not know if the movie numbers are linked to me or not. I have a high degree of confidence I am right in what I have been marking.
photon

Post by photon »

Post a few examples of ones that you've seen; you can see the ones you've marked in your events ( http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/myevents.php ).

The reason I suggest you post a few you've found is the "ring" isn't on the surface of the gel, it's below it:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ss_examples.php
Groundling

Surface

Post by Groundling »

Hi rbolo;
Sometimes it's hard to get aclimated to the window we're looking through.
The top of the focus bar is above the surface and the bottom is below.
All the "junk" you see is on the surface.
That's why I have to take a recess pretty often.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
rbolo28

Post by rbolo28 »

I clicked on lots of movie which looked like particles but they are not shown on that page. Strangely, only two movies are marked. I marked maybe 60 movies so far.

Here are the only two numbers it shows:
"Below are the movies you have identified as candidates for containing
particle tracks."

Movie 7835572V1

Movie 348930V1

These just happens to be of the two that I wasn't sure of but marked anyway.

I had really good ones but they are not being shown. Where are the other 60 I've marked...the good ones?
photon

Post by photon »

rbolo28 wrote: Movie 7835572V1

Movie 348930V1

These just happens to be of the two that I wasn't sure of but marked anyway.

I had really good ones but they are not being shown. Where are the other 60 I've marked...the good ones?
They are calibration movies; known tracks in aerogel from other sources (not this project). When you get one of those right it just bumps up your score. It even tells you how many calibration movies you've seen and how many you've got right.

You really need to read the project docs...
rbolo28

Post by rbolo28 »

I just figured that out after posting.

Statistics for rbolo28

Your Overall Score: 174
Total Movies Viewed: 799
Your Rank: 2488 out of 11570
Specificity: 100%
Sensitivity: 95%

Makes more sense to me now..thanks
rbolo28

Post by rbolo28 »

Good to know there are some scientific checks and balances in place. To filter out false results, those who are not reliable or otherwise cheating.

I need to take time to read the technical documents instead of jumping into it so fast. Only been doing this for couple days now.

Still don't like how a person can click on "NO TRACK" or the image before the "next movie" is fully loaded! I have myself done this a couple of times.

Also, every now and then I get a java error popping up and need to refresh the page.
rbolo28

Post by rbolo28 »

I have clicked on many movies that looked exactly like the calibration movie but did not see an increment in "Calibration Movies answered correctly" nor "Incorrectly"

I justed noticed this again. Guess, I'm still a bit confused. Also, they are not identified as calibration movies but look exactly like calibration movies.

I do not know how to find the movies I've clicked on to post here. Only seems to display movies that others have agreed with me on. And that is only the two worst ones I've choosen and certainly not the most impressive ones.
photon

Post by photon »

The javascript error is due to missing images usually, if it messes up the ability to analyze the image and it gives the error on refreshes just do a bad focus.

And like I said, clicking on no track before the next movie loads isn't a big deal, it'll still load propery after the page jump (at least it works fine in Firefox). If it's an IE bug switch to firefox.

Calibration movies aren't "identified", they're supposed to look just like a normal movie. If you click on a track on one and it doesn't show up under your events, it's a calibration movie (even if your stats aren't updating correctly). And you can't go back and see calibration movies.

Only the movies in your events are real movies that you've clicked on.