FORGET YOUR SCORE!!! THIS IS SCIENCE!!! A SHOT IN THE DARK!!

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Howie

FORGET YOUR SCORE!!! THIS IS SCIENCE!!! A SHOT IN THE DARK!!

Post by Howie »

Score/Rank means nothing too me at this time!!!
It is a learning curve as things progress!!!

If I find a track named to me, do I care about the stats??? NO!!!
If not found by me and I found it with the site, that is our, your purpose here, to find tracks, not win a prize!!!

There is too much attention on the posts worried about rank etc., and I am here to help find a track!!! For Science!!! This is supposed to be fun, not work, I do it when I can!!!

Be proud to be part of it at all!!!

Howie
LeeRyder

Post by LeeRyder »

its nothing to worry about. They eliminated the top cheaters (all 8, a number that surprises be by how few there were) so hopefully that will give us a little more appeal at trying to do our best and ignore the BS scoring system.

The cheaters are the same smacktards that cheat in online games... they just aren't worth the air they breath.
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's part of life, and no one gets out alive.
icebike

Post by icebike »

Well, I agree about forgetting your score and this being science.

It seems to me this fits any rational definition of SHOT IN THE DARK.
(for some values of rational).
icebike

Post by icebike »

LeeRyder wrote: The cheaters are the same smacktards that cheat in online games...
According to the updates, the smacktards got smacked hard today.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=874
alexz

Post by alexz »

I was hoping to get a gold star....
simon

Post by simon »

Setting a rank is really a good idea,this shortens the time of having found out all the dusts.
entropydave

Post by entropydave »

Actually - if it were down to me I'd remove the scoring system completely so that we all work "in the dark" so to speak.
I actually do not really like this forum and its competitevess - there is too much macho "my score is bigger than yours" sort of thing - perhaps those with high scores and ranks have no social life at all and spend 12 hours a day hammering and clicking away - somewhat redolent of the Simpson's Comic Book guy :D
Science is not a competition, it is rigor and persistance in most cases - Jocelyn Bell went though 95 miles of paper tape before she found her famous "LGM" or pulsars. She also could have discovered bugger all and deprive Anthony Hewish of his Nobel prize

Just my 2 Brownlee particles' worth
"I have the most excellent proof that x^3=y^3+z^3, however my signature is too small to contain it..."