So how does that movie numbering system work ?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

Our help is asked to find tracks made by interstellar dust. Since the collector was at an right angle to the interstellar dust stream the tracks made by interstellar dust are straight into the aerogel (give or take a view degrees)

Tracks at an angle are not from interstellar dust. Interesting? Yes, so do click on them , but secondary to the project.

So our task is to find tracks. You say you found and identified them, great. Also this indicates you do have the tools to do your work.

I'd say keep on going and click those tracks.

Happy hunting
Just dusting... Image
albutterworth
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by albutterworth »

Hi Mighty Pete

The way the VM is currently configured you can't move to an adjacent field of view in the VM or My Events viewer. The movies are served up by id number, which is just the order they were entered into our database.

It is a nice suggestion though. Each movie id is also tagged in the database with its coordinates in the aerogel collector, so that we can go back and find the flagged features easily in the real microscope in Houston.

Finding cool features in several movies in the viewer would mean adding a new feature changing the way these movies can be selected. It's a programming project - maybe something we'll add down the line.

Thanks for your input!

-Anna
Last edited by albutterworth on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stardust@home
Useful Links: | Aerogel Scanning Progress | Forum Rules |
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Perfect...
icebike

Post by icebike »

albutterworth wrote:Hi Mighty Pete

The way the VM is currently configured you can't move to an adjacent field of view in the VM or My Events viewer. The movies are served up by id number, which is just the order they were entered into our database.

It is a nice suggestion though. Each movie id is also tagged in the database with its coordinates in the aerogel collector, so that we can go back and find the flagged features easily in the real microscope in Houston.

Finding cool features in several movies in the viewer would mean adding a new feature changing the way these movies can be selected. It's a programming project - maybe something we'll add down the line.

Thanks for your input!

-Anna
It would be fun to see adjacent things, even if we can't click on them, such as being able to seem only in the events viewer.
Its more an interest item than anything else.

Why not just publish the encoding method and LTCFWTM.
(let the chips....)
Pollux.Castor

Post by Pollux.Castor »

the moon wrote:It can't be a particule because there is no track leading down to it.
It can't be a track because it's too far under the surface. Any track has to start within about 5 frames down from the surface. The particule can't just "skip" the top layer and then start leaving a track 35 frames down.
Um, in some of the calibration movies I have seen, the track is not starting to come into focus for 10 frames and does not acheive focus until more than 3/4 of the movie deep. I disagree entirely.
the moon

Post by the moon »

As you can see from the pictures of tracks taken from the side after they've been cut out, like this
The tracks start right below the surface.

The calibration movies are misleading because they made them by digitally cutting the tracks out of pictures from another collector, just the little circles of the tracks. Then they pasted those handful of pictures into 1000 movies from this collector. Did they put them at the right depth? Who knows, I'm guessing some are put deeper then they were in their original movie. Notice how they all sort of come into focus the same distance from the bottom of the focus range, no matter where the surface is in that movie. Also notice in the first 2 tutorial movies, which are real, when focused on the surface the tracks are blurry and within 5 frames down they are clearly visable.