Movie 8153179V1: StarDust@Home - "in 1st review"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

Jwb52z wrote:See, that's why I think they should show us what we did wrong and what they think are tracks that are not like the blatantly obvious ones.
Yes!
They should keep us updated.
They do! (as they can)
But those small team is faced to a horde of about 11,000 volunteers.
Let´s be patient.

Cheers!
Last edited by stardust1 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
Jwb52z

Post by Jwb52z »

I'm surprised that a team for the project is so small. I would think that there would be many scientists and computer scientists and even just people who would be taught how to program the website to show the things we request for helping us learn better to help the project.
Stadt

Post by Stadt »

They probably wanted volunteers, because the team is only so small :lol:

Movie 4836732V1 104 / 78 Indeterminate passed 1st review

I was the 63rd or so to have spotted the possible track (from 85). (now 104/78)
It might just be an irregularity in the surface, though, but it's still an honour too to have at least spotted a possible cosmic particle track: there are probably only about 45 real ones, so it's pretty special to even have one or more possible finds in your event list, I think.
And this early in the project is kind of a bonus. I saved my eventpage, that's better reward than a promised certificate for being in the top 100 or having seen 100 real movies :wink:

I think it is a good idea to put results up here. That way we can get some real experience and feel for the kind of things we are looking for.
Especially the 'horizontal' track 8153179V1 was much of an eyeopener to me, because there are no calibration movies with such trails (or did I miss all of those ? :oops:
And we all wonder if and what has been found so far

Now, back to the dusting!
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

@ all
Are there more examples having passed the 1st review?

Cheers!
stardust1
Last edited by stardust1 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
tshoulihane

Post by tshoulihane »

The first example looks very similar to a crack to me. I guess that's why the hit rate was low, despite it being very visible. 4836732V1 looks good, but in my view could equally be bad focus, the RHS just approaching the surface.

On the size of the team, the limiting factor appears to be the microscope time, not the human time. Sure having 10 people on the forum full time to chat to us would be nice, but if it takes them a week to turn round a list of 100 possibles, we're not going to get any real answers quickly.

Sean
Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

Jwb52z wrote:I'm surprised that a team for the project is so small. I would think that there would be many scientists and computer scientists and even just people who would be taught how to program the website to show the things we request for helping us learn better to help the project.
Big team = big budget. And with the next trip to the Moon (and eventually Mars) on the horizon, big budget is a BAD thing.

IMHO the best thing we can do is help the Berkeley team out without demanding their time and attention unless it becomes absolutely necessary. This will enable them to get their jobs done in the shortest time possible, hopefully within budget.

My tuppence, anyways.

-Shar
WeBeGood

Re: Movie 8153179V1: StarDust@Home - "in 1st review&quo

Post by WeBeGood »

Ziggy wrote:Since posting a message regarding Movie 8153179V1 within the Did anyone find a CLEAR track? thread, this movie seems to have come to the attention of the StarDust@Home team.

It has now received an official "in 1st review" comment - the first that I have seen in my list of events.

This is great news!....

...however, I am slightly concerned that such a clear trail (in my opinion) has only been confirmed by under 30% (27 from 91) of the StarDust@Home users which have been shown the movie.

Why do you think this is?... and what would be the best way of improving the standard of the viewings?
To see the movie in question click here:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8153179V1
Cool rocket engine. Good find..
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @ WeBeGood@GMail.Com
heumpje

Re: Movie 8153179V1: StarDust@Home - "in 1st review&

Post by heumpje »

Ziggy wrote:Since posting a message regarding Movie 8153179V1 within the Did anyone find a CLEAR track? thread, this movie seems to have come to the attention of the StarDust@Home team.

It has now received an official "in 1st review" comment - the first that I have seen in my list of events.

This is great news!....

...however, I am slightly concerned that such a clear trail (in my opinion) has only been confirmed by under 30% (27 from 91) of the StarDust@Home users which have been shown the movie.

Why do you think this is?... and what would be the best way of improving the standard of the viewings?
I remember looking at this one (i.e. i am one of 91). I paused and looked at it for a long time but decided to rate it "No track". The reason is that I was comparing it to the one in the tutorial and the track looks quite different. Perhaps not the best argument... I think it is a very good idea to make the first real tracks public as soon as possible.
Valve

Post by Valve »

stardust1 wrote:@ all

Cheers!
stardust1
Movie 7058694V1 has 88 views and 33 agreements and has passed 1st review. Looking back at it now, I'm not certain just where I thought there was a track, though. :?
Stadt

Post by Stadt »

Movie 7058694V1 has 88 views and 33 agreements and has passed 1st review. Looking back at it now, I'm not certain just where I thought there was a track, though. Confused
I think near the bottom, slightly to the right
Cheers!
goldrake

Post by goldrake »

I would know if exist a complete list of movies that have passed the 1st review.
:roll:
I like to see these movies because are a good example for what we must found.
Dust?Anyone?No!

Post by Dust?Anyone?No! »

Valve wrote:
stardust1 wrote:@ all

Cheers!
stardust1
Movie 7058694V1 has 88 views and 33 agreements and has passed 1st review. Looking back at it now, I'm not certain just where I thought there was a track, though. :?
At the top of the focus range it looks like we see the top surface, then at the bottom it looks like we are seeing the back surface :shock:

Can this happen?

If so then sorry no track :cry:

N
ASchillings

An other one passed 1st review

Post by ASchillings »

Hi @ all

enclosed an other one that passed the first review. 114 Views, 87 Aggreements.

I'm so happy to have it in my event-list, too. It is so motivating!!!

Ciao,

Andreas

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =4836732V1
Valve

Post by Valve »

I agree its exciting to have one one my list of events that has passed first review. Its a tempered excitement, though, as from what I've read they are pretty liberal at what they let through first review so as not to exclude any possibilities too early.
photon

Re: An other one passed 1st review

Post by photon »

ASchillings wrote:Hi @ all

enclosed an other one that passed the first review. 114 Views, 87 Aggreements.

I'm so happy to have it in my event-list, too. It is so motivating!!!

Ciao,

Andreas

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =4836732V1
Are you talking about the spot near the right lower edge? That looks like its on the surface; the surface of that one seems sloped to the right.