Are we really looking carefully enough?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

icebike

Re: Are we really looking carefully enough?

Post by icebike »

_Dan_ wrote:
Top RIGHT?
Dan.
No, I meant top left -- got my fingers typing faster than I was thinking. Sorry. We are talking about the same object. Fairly large, fairly deep and seemingly a track next leading off to the left.

Images: Yes you have to find a free hosting site, copy image, circle and arrow and color glossy photograph, and upload it someplace and then paste an image reference. All fairly time consuming.
tshoulihane

Post by tshoulihane »

Pointyhat: I read it as saying that several of the top 100 have similar features, so they only chose to analyse one of each type of feature at a time, not that 91 of 100 are 'obviously wrong'.

Sean
pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

tshoulihane wrote:Pointyhat: I read it as saying that several of the top 100 have similar features, so they only chose to analyse one of each type of feature at a time, not that 91 of 100 are 'obviously wrong'.

Sean
Could be.....

"So far we have passed 9 movies through 1st review. We will then go back for a 2nd review to try and verify the interesting features in these movies.
Since we don't know what interstellar dust tracks look like, we are very conservative about disregarding any of the movies at this early stage.

Several of the top 100 movies show similar features. By reviewing a few of these movies, we can hope to refine our searching strategies in the VM. Learning how to find dust tracks is an iterative process, one in which we all learn as we progress."

I read this as saying the team regarded only 9 movies of the top 100 as worth reviewing further, but some of those 9 included for further review were included simply because a number of movies in the top 100 had similar features and they wanted to rule them out definitively even though they suspect they do not contain tracks, to give some extra guidance as to what not to look for.

I guess time will tell.

All the best
Gavin
tim_yoda

Post by tim_yoda »

I'm not sure what I like better;
The intellectual discussion, which thus far has been honest,sincere and at times, amusing, OR the research thing.
One compliments the other.
:D
oscar

Post by oscar »

Our goal is to find interstellar dust.
Everything else here is just technique to find the dust.
While the calibration movies and examples are very helpful to point us in the right direction, the Stardust guys & gals also say expect the unexpected.
My two cents...take your time, examine the movies very carefully, and if in doubt - "click".
If we aren't having FUN, we are not doing it right. 8)
What we think, we become. Buddha
the moon

Post by the moon »

I don't know about you all, but those 2 "most likely" movies they posted in the updates have me pretty depressed. They just look like debri, or whatever, on the surface of the gel. The surface is slanted in those movies so it can look like the features are under the surface, but not if you look at it for more then 3 seconds. I don't know how the team can consider them good canidates. I would have marked them as no track or bad focus.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi Moon,

Write the numbers of the tracks down and keep them. Later on the Stardust team will tell us what the real result was of these tracks. At that time you will be proved correct.

Let us wait and see, it sounds like you know what you are doing.

Thanks,

fjgiie
the moon

Post by the moon »

Hell yeah I know what I'm doing! I collect space dust all the time! And I'll keep track of them, but you know the team is going to plant stuff in those movies just to prove me wrong now.
h.d.thoreau

Post by h.d.thoreau »

"...you know the team is going to plant stuff in those movies just to prove me wrong now..."
Very nice senseless paranoia of the governing body which is this scientific team. However, I doubt that sombody at Berkely is reading this and thinking, "How can I stick it to the moon today?" Your spirit of rebelion against government is good, however ill placed. You should try focusing it toward the U.S government, and start a revolution. Opps got off topic with my delusions of revolution.
Anywho...it is good to see that the small tracks seen are not yet being counted out as potential tracks.
"Movie 714410V1 is an example of multiple tiny black dots below the aerogel surface. They are incredibly subtle, but many of you are finding them.
We think they are probably inclusions in the aerogel (from the manufacturing process), partly because they are so numerous, and partly because they look like particles, and not like tracks made by particles. They are less likely candidates to be interstellar, but intriguing nontheless. We have logged the coordinates for a number of these black dots and we will continue trying to verify their origin. "
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=879
Until they can verify the origin, I will continue to click on these, as when in a scientific atmosphere we must comfront new ideas with an open, and yet scrutinizing mind.
the moon

Post by the moon »

haha sometimes I forget that humor can be lost on a forum. Anyways, I actually agree with you that dots under the surface should be clicked on, and I do that. However the 2 movies they cite as the highest scoring do not even have features under the surface and I don't click those.