Particle size

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

bghind

Re: Sideways track example....

Post by bghind »

[quote="Ziggy"]I have reported a sideways track example and it is currently at the "in 1st review" stage of StarDust@Home's official comments.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8153179V1

I would classify this as a gel defect rather than a sideways track. I'll be curious to see how it is finally resolved.
Bill G Hinds
Jwb52z

Post by Jwb52z »

I don't hugely care about scores except it makes me feel like I am awful at doing this. My problem is that sometimes I would like to click on something, but I don't want to get a ding for it in the score system. It's difficult to know the ones that don't have obvious tracks are not calibration movies along with the small ones. I have chosen to only click on the obvious tracks until the people in charge have refined their checking method and can show us a more exact way of finding tracks by example.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jwb52z wrote:I don't hugely care about scores except it makes me feel like I am awful at doing this. My problem is that sometimes I would like to click on something, but I don't want to get a ding for it in the score system. It's difficult to know the ones that don't have obvious tracks are not calibration movies along with the small ones. I have chosen to only click on the obvious tracks until the people in charge have refined their checking method and can show us a more exact way of finding tracks by example.
Please make sure you click on anything that you may think is a possible track - regardless of whether you will get penalised on the scoring system.

This project is not about scores, but about trying to locate particles which may help our understanding of the universe. If everyone takes your view, and is reluctant to click on possible track indicators, then we are likely to miss crucial evidence.

The project team have been quite clear, they are not 100% sure of what we are looking for, so... if in doubt... click!
Ziggy Stardust...

...searching for the Spiders from Mars.
Groundling

Doubt

Post by Groundling »

Good call Ziggy. The object is to give a statistical value to the Stardust team. They would love to examine every single speck themselves but I would'nt want that job.
I have found that if I use "full screen" and take out the "favorites", I can see my score change without other effort. I use that for a continual update of my judgement. If I have an error, I can use the back key and take a better look. (I'm using IE) Of course I can't change it, but can get a better idea of what the heck I'm supposed to be doing.
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo