Particle size

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Groundling

Particle size

Post by Groundling »

It appears to me that the system is only now truly getting started.
The training tracks and the tracks we have seen were huge and
easily identified. I'm now seeing a couple of tracks that are down
in the 3-4 micron range. Actually, this is what I assumed we would
be looking for.
After all, 400 (?) real tracks out of more than a million movies will make
them a lot harder to find than those 15 micro things we've been looking
at. :shock:
Groundling
PocketLint

well..

Post by PocketLint »

Actually, The way I see it..

All the training movies and calibration movies are doing is helping us watch out for the tracks. Not the actual particle. A real particle will look like any other blip in the gel.

It is the track that will set it apart from other dust, hair, snot or whatever is alread in the gel.

The newer calibration movies are starting to include smaller tracks then the training and original calibration movies.

So far for me, 21 of those suckers have gotten past me and I'm kicking myself in the butt for that. Out of 3700 calibration and 10342 real movies I missed 21 calibrations. That may not seem like much but that puts my percents at:
Specificity: 99.83%
Sensitivity: 99.05%

That is not very good as that means that I could have let a few real tracks slip by.

I know that only 45 total particles are expected from the entire project. So this means that I might have missed almost 1/2 of the possible real tracks if they existed in the first 3700 real movies that I viewed.

Not very good at all.
gamalmfalyii

Post by gamalmfalyii »

Also, more volunteers need to keep an eye out for tracks that are sideways and at angles instead of the straight on type that we've encountered in the calibration movies.
"She said a good day
ain't got no rain
She said a bad day's when I lie in bed
and think of things that might have been"
HK47

Post by HK47 »

Good point gamalmfalyii.
Has anyone found a sideways track yet? If so, I would like to see it, because the illustration they give you in the tutorial is so general, it is kind of like describing what the Mona Lisa looks like, to a blind person, in one sentence. (e.g.: Well, it is a painting of a woman with a wierd smile.) :) :roll:
If you can guess what video game my username references, post your answer.:)
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Not confirmed mind you. Chances are it's not one but it's interesting anyway

http://tinyurl.com/kgpjj
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Mighty Pete wrote:Not confirmed mind you. Chances are it's not one but it's interesting anyway
The surface came in low to me. Could that be a surface crack?
From dust we come
WNj

Post by WNj »

Mighty Pete wrote:Not confirmed mind you. Chances are it's not one but it's interesting anyway http://tinyurl.com/kgpjj
That is supposed to be a track? It´s got not very much in common with the trainings....
Lebe Dein Leben so wie Du wenn Du stirbst wünschen wirst gelebt zu haben
Ziggy

Sideways track example....

Post by Ziggy »

I have reported a sideways track example and it is currently at the "in 1st review" stage of StarDust@Home's official comments.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8153179V1
My other posts relating to this movie:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... highlight=
Ziggy Stardust...

...searching for the Spiders from Mars.
Howie

Re: well..

Post by Howie »

PocketLint wrote:Actually, The way I see it..

All the training movies and calibration movies are doing is helping us watch out for the tracks. Not the actual particle. A real particle will look like any other blip in the gel.

It is the track that will set it apart from other dust, hair, snot or whatever is alread in the gel.

The newer calibration movies are starting to include smaller tracks then the training and original calibration movies.

So far for me, 21 of those suckers have gotten past me and I'm kicking myself in the butt for that. Out of 3700 calibration and 10342 real movies I missed 21 calibrations. That may not seem like much but that puts my percents at:
Specificity: 99.83%
Sensitivity: 99.05%

That is not very good as that means that I could have let a few real tracks slip by.

I know that only 45 total particles are expected from the entire project. So this means that I might have missed almost 1/2 of the possible real tracks if they existed in the first 3700 real movies that I viewed.

Not very good at all.
I know that only 45 total particles are expected from the entire project.
??? Did you get this mixed up with a post about 45 particles per movie or micron or something like that I read,,,bcause they have no idea if there is one track or 1000 tracks!!!
Howie
petterip

Re: Sideways track example....

Post by petterip »

Ziggy wrote:I have reported a sideways track example and it is currently at the "in 1st review" stage of StarDust@Home's official comments.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8153179V1
Now there's a clear track! Thanks for the link. I hope when the training material is updated this would be one of the examples.
While not stardusting, I'd rather be driving with my Alfa.
WNj

Re: Sideways track example....

Post by WNj »

petterip wrote:
Ziggy wrote:I have reported a sideways track example and it is currently at the "in 1st review" stage of StarDust@Home's official comments.http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8153179V1
Now there's a clear track! Thanks for the link. I hope when the training material is updated this would be one of the examples.
Jeah, that´s a good one, I hope, I´ll find one like that, too! Congratulations :D
Lebe Dein Leben so wie Du wenn Du stirbst wünschen wirst gelebt zu haben
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Please stay on the topic of 'Particle size' in this thread.

Thanks.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!
JOC

Re: Particle size

Post by JOC »

Groundling wrote:...The training tracks and the tracks we have seen were huge and easily identified. I'm now seeing a couple of tracks that are down in the 3-4 micron range. Actually, this is what I assumed we would be looking for.
After all, 400 (?) real tracks out of more than a million movies will make
them a lot harder to find than those 15 micro things we've been looking
at. :shock:
Groundling
It seems to me that according to the science info, the stardust is not expected to consist of just one particular type of dust of one particular size.

To explain previous observations(>link), it's thought to very probably vary in several materials and to have various sizes:
So, the interesting stuff might include tracks from all of the following possibilities(and more?):
  • maybe some dust of ~0.01 micron size [compare this to the scale on the Focus Movies!]
    maybe some of ~0.1 micron
    maybe some of ~0.22 micron
    maybe some of ~10 microns
    maybe some of ~20 microns
    and others bigger or smaller?

[On the point of possible numbers of tracks -- the official estimation(>link) was a ballpark figure of ~45 tracks ...in, I believe, (132 tiles) x (~4000 movies each) => ~500,000 movies]
Twinkle, twinkle, little dust!
How I wonder which to trust!
From stars above the world you fell!
Buried like treasure in aerogel.
fjgiie
DustMod

Movies per tile

Post by fjgiie »

Hi JOC,

Additional information about number of movies per tile. I realize you were speaking approximately ~ . And that you remember this.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... ight=#1042

Thanks,

fjgiie
JOC

Post by JOC »

[Thanks for that reference, fjgiie... the later addition of an extra 1000 movies per tile for the edges will ultimately, then, make an approx total of: (132 tiles) x (4000@middle + 1000@edges) ~= 650,000 movies total]
Twinkle, twinkle, little dust!
How I wonder which to trust!
From stars above the world you fell!
Buried like treasure in aerogel.