"I think I've found a track, what do you think?"

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

Rojer wrote:If someone report this interesting one?
What do you think?
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8130472V1
That looks good to me as what in the last update were being labelled as potential interplanetary dust particles or fragments from the probe itself.

All the best Gavin
stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

greuti wrote:
svanimpe wrote: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =7933874V1

It doesn't come into focus so it's very deep in the gel, but it looks very much like a track. Only four people have clicked it so far though, out of 146.
I cannot believe it! What is wrong about it to click on this movie?! There IS something like a track rather deep below the surface - only still out of focus.

Today I just saw and clicked it too... 150 / 5 :?: / Indeterminate
Hi greuti,
I agree with you and I think it was a good idea
1. to click that one. I would have clicked it too. There is "something" subsurface and that´s what we look for, not knowing exactly what it might look real.
2. to post it here.
All the best
-stardust1
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)
greuti

Post by greuti »

Hi stardust1, thanks for your comment.

Now would like to get quickly the movie to the left of it... :wink:

All the best
greuti
albutterworth
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by albutterworth »

greuti, stardust1

FYI - Movie 7933874V1 is the next right, and has the end of the track visible in movie 8153179V1.
We highlighted this large angled track in the Updates section - it's a great example of other types of impact tracks in the aerogel besides the interstellar tracks we're all searching for. It's an interesting find.

cheers
Anna
Stardust@home
Useful Links: | Aerogel Scanning Progress | Forum Rules |
greuti

Post by greuti »

Oh, that's really quick! :) Thanks Anna for pointing out that. Had prefer found a new one :wink:

Instead it's very nice to have the complete track for stitching the two:
(click on)

The focus is circa left of center of the whole track.
Last edited by greuti on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

I can't tell if this:
9119685V1
has something in the aerogel way below the bottom of the focal range or whether the large dark circular patch in the upper centre right is simply an artefact of the lighting/compression. What do you think?

All the best
Gavin
Exir

Post by Exir »

I think it is a shadow of the camera.

And to my unexpert eye, even if it isn't a shadow, this isn't a product of an impact.
Exir

Post by Exir »

7030632V1 . on the left of the crack, when you focus you'll see a small bright dot not visible on the surface. Is it a track?

Edit:4751356V1. this one has a dark spot under the surface, on the lower-left part.
Roy Ezell

Post by Roy Ezell »

Hello All,
I found what I think is a strange track?
It's kind of like the low angle track shown on one of the forum posts by the team.
Team post:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8153179V1

It is just left of the top center and goes down to the left and looks like it is under the gel and shows up in most of the frames as a line that widens as you focus down,Its going at a angle across and not strait in the gel like most tracks.
Not sure if it is a track but it sure looks like the one shown as a example by the team but a little deeper and not as dark as the team example.
let me know what you think.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9559485V1

Thanks,
Roy Ezell
pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

Exir wrote:I think it is a shadow of the camera.
If it is a camera shadow I would expect to see it in every movie and for it not to appear to come in to slightly sharper focus at the bottom of the focal range.
All the best
Gavin
pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

Exir wrote:7030632V1 . on the left of the crack, when you focus you'll see a small bright dot not visible on the surface. Is it a track?
If your looking at what I think you are looking at, I think this is just a dark feature on the surface going out of focus. (Notice how dark features become lighter and light features become darker as you move out of focus).
Exir wrote:Edit:4751356V1. this one has a dark spot under the surface, on the lower-left part.
There are two spots coming into focus on the left-hand side at the bottom of the focal range. They look like so called 'inclusions' to me. They are probably faults in the aerogel, but until we get definitive word on what these features are from the team I am still clicking on them, (others have decided not to as they appear to be too numerous to be stardust unless the project estimates of the number of particles captured are orders of magnitude off).

All the best
Gavin
pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

Roy Ezell wrote: Not sure if it is a track but it sure looks like the one shown as a example by the team but a little deeper and not as dark as the team example.
let me know what you think.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9559485V1
Hi Roy - to me this looks like a surface scratch, not a track. It appears to come into, and go out of focus at pretty much the same time as the local surface along the whole of its length; the right-hand part of the track given by the team does not ever fully come into focus - it goes too deep.

All the best
Roy Ezell

Post by Roy Ezell »

Hiya Pointyhat,Thanks
I thought that also at first but if you watch the movement as you scroll though the focus, the surface dust moves as you focus down into the gel and the line does not move the same as the dust,I have seen other scratches and they tend to move the same way as the dust and stuff under the surface stays almost in the same place like the real dust tracks,This one also has the round look to it on the surface and is kind of small at first and gets wider as you go down and then closes in on itself like a tube.
I would love to see a better and deeper focus on this one to be sure.
The team example looks like the track skims the surface and then goes into the gel, The one I found looks like it is under the gel all the way and not on the surface,Maybe the entry point is closer to the surface on another film next to this one I would love to see it also.
If it turns out to not be a real tract it could be used to show what not to click on.
Once more thanks Pointyhat.

Added: I went back and looked at the film some more and I have to say it looks deeper than the surface because of the small movement in the line as you go though the focus range, One way or the other it is a item of interest to look at.
pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

Roy Ezell wrote:One way or the other it is a item of interest to look at.
Absolutely, if you think its worth investigating then you should definitely mark it. Happy searching!

All the best
Gavin
sub212

inclusions

Post by sub212 »

Hi stardust1, yeah, I guess you're roght about the inclusions....