Questions about the certificates

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

beetlenaut

Post by beetlenaut »

Face it friends: We're nerds. I don't think your average cheater would find this at all exciting.

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi Lode.

First, let me answer your question from the official topic "Answers to Qs about: VM, Movies, Scores… UPDATED 6:56pm" here http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rtificates
which contains the information:
Q 8. Where’s my certificate?
For the training certificate, go to My Events or Community --> Certificates after logging in

The other certificates are not yet released due to two reasons:
1. We are developing the certificate systems, which is being delay at this moment.
2. For the integrity of the certificates – for example, the first 100 users signed up will be ranked in the top 100 even though their scores might be 0. "

Secondly, I will use this opportunity to assist you (and anyone not familiar with the process) in finding topics in the future before starting a new topic. Please use the "search" function at the top of the page and enter your query. The engine will return all instances you asked for from the entire forum, saving you from having to look through every thread and saving the forums from the clutter of multiple posts about the same topic.
With so many users, everyone's help is needed in this effort.

Thanks all- stay 'focused'
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!

gamalmfalyii

Post by gamalmfalyii »

plasmadon wrote:

As soon as I saw this certificate stuff based on 'score' I said to myself "Oh boy! This is going to get weird with inaccurate blitzkreig viewings."

Maybe just a "thanks for participating" certificate is the way to go.
I agree completely Plasmadon

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Lode,

The certificates were the last thing on our check list before launching. There were some technical difficulties we were having with them and decided to launch with only the training certificates activated. We intend to make certificate for other milestones available after a couple of weeks when we get all the other post-launch glitches worked out. We may add more milestones when we get them working.

The certificates were not meant as a way to encourage people to participate or as some kind of carrot. They are meant as a 'Thank you' to all of the fine people who are giving some of their free time to help us search for star dust. They are 'official' in so far as they come from us as a 'Thank you' to you for your efforts.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH

Snowdrops

Certificates

Post by Snowdrops »

You know .... I couldnt frankly give a damn about Certificates !! I am just happy to be a very very small part of this Project. Scores.... nope... I am not a high scorer... I spend 2-3 hours a day on here... I still only have dial up ( soon to be Broad Band to save my sanity waiting for movies to load!) I try to be accurate... and my very modest score shows that... as do my percentages. It matters to ME... I dont need to have others pat me on the back.

The high scorers that achieve those scores are doubtless working hard for them... I am still trying to work out HOW you can cheat without compromising your percentages??

But whatever... I have been around amateur Astronomy many years ... this is the kind of Project I have been waiting for. The Stardust Team has been working so hard for so long for this... and now this stage is launched they are ironing out the problems faster than I expected. I had unconditional help with a prob I had just getting in to the Forum... it was given with humour and patience by two fellow members. SO... lets just enjoy the ride set up for us here .... and yes.. I ramble... but I think I have made a point !!
The path less taken

Mississauga

Re: Certificates

Post by Mississauga »

Snowdrops wrote:... I am still trying to work out HOW you can cheat without compromising your percentages??
Exactly! Keeping the errors low is a real chore. Perhaps the certificates should be based upon a combination of "sensitivity" and movies completed.
- alec -

MDD DP 867, iBook G4/1.33, iMac G5/1.8

ToSeek

Re: Certificates

Post by ToSeek »

Snowdrops wrote:The high scorers that achieve those scores are doubtless working hard for them... I am still trying to work out HOW you can cheat without compromising your percentages??
If you can figure out which movies are real and which are calibration (as was easy to do when the project first went online), you can just quickly click on "No Track" or "Bad Focus" for any of the real movies. It was also pretty easy to figure out which calibration movies had tracks and which didn't. If I had been unscrupulous, I'm sure I could have been in the top 100 by now.

(Frankly, it's still not that hard. It concerns me that I feel like I'm being trained to recognize low-resolution JPEGs more than I'm being trained to recognize tracks.)
If you're going to be just like everyone else, what's the point in existing?

jlgaines

Post by jlgaines »

To All:

I think the Certificate should be for 1000 movies viewed, 100 is just to easy to acheive. I also think that once folks get their "certificates" you'll see a massive drop in participation, therefore the "Milestones" should be more difficult. The Top 100, should be based on participation longevity and overall scores, that will keep the ball rolling! The "Diehards" will get there in the end I'm sure. Keep Dusting............JANSTEIN

levine54

certificates

Post by levine54 »

I have viewed over two hundred movies (not much, but still mine) and have not had an update to show the one hundred milestone in MY Events. Is there another place to get the paper?
Harvey S. Levine

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi Harvey.
Q 8. Where’s my certificate?
For the training certificate, go to My Events or Community --> Certificates after logging in

The other certificates are not yet released due to two reasons:
1. We are developing the certificate systems, which is being delay at this moment.
2. For the integrity of the certificates – for example, the first 100 users signed up will be ranked in the top 100 even though their scores might be 0.
Here's the link to that info http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... highlight=

Hope that helps.
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!

sub212

certificate of successful participation

Post by sub212 »

Just give everybody a certificate of successful participation in about a year, and that's the end of it.

georingo

Post by georingo »

Give certificates based on the amount of identified tracks, the amount of identified interesting features or the amount of features that passed first (second,...) screening ? :idea:

sub212

Post by sub212 »

georingo wrote:Give certificates based on the amount of identified tracks, the amount of identified interesting features or the amount of features that passed first (second,...) screening ? :idea:
Also good, but include the precision and how many useless features we found, too.

"Found 1 feature together with 248 other, and mislead us 44 other times"

This would truly be nice, but an excessively huge work for the team and totally unrelated to science. One serves all, will saves much discussion and (useless) work for the team.

sub212

Post by sub212 »

@ georingo
You seem to assume anyone gives a damn how much every single on edid. The mass output creates precision in relativity and creating custom made certificates would mean a huge waste of time for no benefit.

DropMyDecimals

Certificates

Post by DropMyDecimals »

I've just started making progress with the movies, but am over the 250 mark already.

I would obviously like some form of certificate, but an official letter from Berkley saying thanks for making a significant contribution towards the project would seem more appropriate. Maybe at the 2000 movie mark?

Could this be arranged? Top 100 or not I feel it would have more value to me.
Maybe just a "thanks for participating" certificate is the way to go.
~Decimals~