Stardust@home Suggestion Thread

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

JohnPenny

How do we learn from incorrect answers if you wont SHOW us?

Post by JohnPenny »

You should list all our incorrectly answered movies just as you do our candidates movies.

Also, in our candidates (movies we think have tracks) you should mark the places where 'agreement' clicks were. I have a couple which have very very small focus points well under the surface, and i fear my 'agreements' were not clicking the same thing.
JohnPenny

Post by JohnPenny »

May i just add that a large number of tracks have appeared and not been recorded due to unknown errors and the "you seem to have come across this page" messages.

I have clicked about 10 that have gone unrecorded....
MichaU

Post by MichaU »

Imo its good idea to paste here or create sticked topic with movies that are not for sure tracks.
BenTrem

Re: Interface Suggestion - relocating buttons

Post by BenTrem »

marsnut wrote:I've been using the VM on my notebook with a touchpad, which I think is much easier to "fine tune" than using a mouse. However, the close proximity of the 3 buttons to the bottom of the scroller makes me a bit cautious when scrolling around there, in case I might accidentally press on "No Track".
I tried using my ToughBook (touch screen) but gave up on it for that reason.

Maybe some clever Web2.0 programmer can lash together a drag&drop UI?
When you look to see how the system works
Likely you will find that it does not.
Zsinj

Post by Zsinj »

How about making the buttons a row along the bottom of the image instead of a column? No drop-down menu, please.
Join us on the Unofficial IRC channel!
irc://irc.freenode.net/stardust@home
bitbanger

Improved identification

Post by bitbanger »

I found a test frame that shows a small track (1/16") only during the last two or three frames. There wasn't anything in the training or testing that prepared me for this possibility. Only an ego deflating incorrect calibration movies count that kept me looking.
Jim McIntosh
Shango

"Unfair" calibration movie

Post by Shango »

Yeah, I found one like that, the track is so tiny, and I think I have missed it twice now. It isn't really "fair", as the movie is highly compressed, the track looks more like a set of 4 pixels, but I can see how someone may have thought it was a good test. On my system the movie id was 10557A, the track is upper right. Would rather have it removed, although maybe I'm just not good enough to spot it regularly....
--Shango
BenTrem

Slightly aside

Post by BenTrem »

I'm wondering: are any calibration movies Bad Focus? Because I had one where there was nothing ... slight shift in gray scale, no indication of Surface ... and I think I got scored wrong.
edobrzel

suggestion: annotations

Post by edobrzel »

I know we want to keep things simple, but I'll offer the suggestion of allowing movies to be annotated. I've seen posts about having multiple/different "bad focus" buttons to report different errors. That might be nice, but annotating responses could be good too. It might reduce the staff asking "Why did they click there?" or "Why did they click 'Bad Focus'?" Some common situations:
- Focus is too "low" so you're not comfortable with saying "No track", but the movie is sort of in focus.
- You found something odd that may or may not be a track. Yeah we're told "click it and we'll review later", but knowing why might be nice.
- Split movies - Sometimes considered "Bad Focus", but are a special case.

I'm sure there are more. Sure, it is more info for our poor, overburdened staff, but I still think it might be helpful.
BenTrem

Post by BenTrem »

Bet it's doable. A real simple text box allowing only short entry. Not sure about the up-side though. Staff prolly has bigger fish to fry just now!
;-P
Blarrrg

Post by Blarrrg »

Yep. Just have like a 100 character limit or something so things don't get too long. It would be pretty helpful.
ramrom

A review of errors marked incorrect to sharpen our skills.

Post by ramrom »

:P This is so cool. I am very proud to be part of this project. :D

:idea: :idea: :idea:
I would like to see a review of the movie clips that are marked inaccurate. It would be nice if it was the next clip shown with marks or exclamations as to the error so I will be able to watch out for those mistakes in the future. It would help to sharpen my viewing skills.

Thanks Guys,

:shock: Ray :wink:
gavin42g

Post by gavin42g »

Nice to see some enthusiasm! :D

I just press the 'Back' button on my browser and see the movie again. This just happeend actually; it was a tiny bugger and I need some sleep.
M.B. Frederiksen

Re: How do we learn from incorrect answers if you wont SHOW

Post by M.B. Frederiksen »

JohnPenny wrote:You should list all our incorrectly answered movies just as you do our candidates movies.
I agree. I find that this would be a good way to be able to learn from the mistakes you made. A sort of positive feedback.
Such a feedback would surely benefit the project in the long term. :idea:
"Even if you are on the right track, you will be run over if you don't move"
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Amen, I have had 3 mistakes so far but when I went back and looked at 2 of them I cannot for the life of me see a good track candidate. I hate making mistakes when I can't learn from em!