Stardust@home Suggestion Thread

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Groundling

Post by Groundling »

Hi Tcarey;
Don't forget "F 11"(full screen). that key will increase the screen size just enough to see your score. If you need to hit refresh or anything else, just bump your cursor against the top of the screen. That is a temporary return to normal control. Or "F 11" again to turn it off. I am using that at 1024x768 and it works for me.
Love your sign off
Groundling
I have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo
Howie

About Javascript errors from Microsoft...

Post by Howie »

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstar ... blems.mspx

Go down page to java errors, also some other good stuff on this page!!!

Howie
WorWizard

Suggestion

Post by WorWizard »

Does anyone have the technicial knowledge to make an area (web page) that you can graphically view the tile sections that you have viewed on-line and/how they were marked (ie bad focus, possible IDP, etc..). That would be very cool. I don't have any clue.

Me
Tom_Gutman

Load error reports

Post by Tom_Gutman »

Could we eliminate the error reports when a frame fails to load? These serve no purpose whatsoever and only slow things down. They are not caused by the user, there is nothing the user can do about them. The gaps in the load bars, and the missing frames themselves, serve as ample warning that there are frames missing. The error reports from loading the next movie (erroneously reported as errors for the ondeck movie) are particularly useless, as all they do, at best, is tell the user that there will be errors in the ondeck movie (erroneously reported as errors for the next movie) when he moves on to the next movie.

If it is felt that the user needs more of an indication of a missing frame (more than the gap in the load bar and the all white frame) I suggest changing the color of the corresponding bar in the focus bars.
Tom Gutman
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Load error reports

Post by DustBuster »

Tom_Gutman wrote:Could we eliminate the error reports when a frame fails to load? These serve no purpose whatsoever and only slow things down. They are not caused by the user, there is nothing the user can do about them. The gaps in the load bars, and the missing frames themselves, serve as ample warning that there are frames missing. The error reports from loading the next movie (erroneously reported as errors for the ondeck movie) are particularly useless, as all they do, at best, is tell the user that there will be errors in the ondeck movie (erroneously reported as errors for the next movie) when he moves on to the next movie.

If it is felt that the user needs more of an indication of a missing frame (more than the gap in the load bar and the all white frame) I suggest changing the color of the corresponding bar in the focus bars.
Hi Tom.

There is a discussion about this topic here where Howie gives some info you may find useful.
Tcarey

Post by Tcarey »

Actually the error reports do more than you think. If you notice the full URL, it tells you if the video is a test file or a real file. So if you get one of the fails to load msgs, you know what the next video is gong to be.

That is probably not in the best interests of the quality of the program.

Tom Carey

P.S.

I am having fun looking for space stuff. What a neat concept to be part of a many million dollar space project.
Boredom... It's a terrible thing to waste!
gustin

punishment

Post by gustin »

Alo StarDust Team ...

Why not create a new topic like "possible track", so we can show what seems to be a track without being "punished" with loss of Sensitivity, etc ?.

It would be counted as track if it is, and no point - and no punishment - if " no track " particularly to those who have passed the trial and error period - not my case, just beginning - ?

There are some movies that show possibility of a track. If one does not like to loose "points", it may result in discarding a, so to say, possible track to be ignored

I think this has been considered by you before, but if you ask contributors, may be a lot of them would like to have such a new option, and would select "possible tracks" for future examination by you :?
theguimbs

loading movies

Post by theguimbs »

Hi, stardust team

I always enter the focus scale by the bottom, so I can find more quickly abnormalities beneath the surface.
So I think we could save time if the movies load begining with the deepest picture.

Thanks

Jean-Paul
Daehawk

Suggestion for easier identify

Post by Daehawk »

As Im new here and not read much of the boards and have only viewed all the tutorial movies plus about 7 others, my suggestion may either be dumb or been addressed before now in some fashion.

It hit me while focusing from the surface to the under surface looking for trails that it might be far easier to implement an auto oscillating program for the virtual microscope. It would work by allowing the user to pinpoint the surface in focus then it would tak over and oscillate the focus from surface to sub surface approx every 1 second.

So the user would pinpoint the surface then it would be surface / subsurface / surface..in that manner instead of the user doing it themselves. Unless of course they wished to. I find myself studying the slides in this manner by focusing on the surface then subsurface back and forth quickly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sigh..I apologize for my thread being posted in the wrong area of this forum. I did not take notice of the suggestion thread 4 posts above it till I had posted.

EDIT: Thank you for moving my misposted thread.
ERSTRS

Need fourth option at bottom of blue scroll lines

Post by ERSTRS »

NASA, I found something of interest in sample URL below, but there is no option at bottom of blue scroll lines where I can alert you that this sample contains an "interesting feature." If I click on the sample, it will count against me since it doesn't contain a Track. Therefore I've been ignoring interesting things I've found in samples that I know aren't Tracks, but still need to be looked at. Could you, therefore, add a fourth category for "Interesting," or "Of Interest," or some such option, so it won't affect our scores when we click on them?

Thanks, ERSTRS

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =9239753V1 &no_record=0&key=ab26545d&code=&coords=?-1,-1
Evelyn
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi Evelyn.

I don't believe there will be any changes to the VM that are not directly related to whether or not it is functioning correctly, but there is a thread on the forum dedicated to 'things of interest' that gives the team a chance to view them, please follow the link below:

"I found a cute, funny, interesting, etc. movie"

BTW, the large rectangular item in 9239753V1 is most likely an aerogel fragment.
Wreckerbill

Please make the logo/title/header smaller on movie page

Post by Wreckerbill »

Change request for the webmaster or site admin.

Kindly use a smaller logo/title/header on the movie page. The reason for this request is to allow more room for the movies, when "zoomed" in, without having to scroll down to view the bottom portion of the movie each time a new one is loaded.

For those of you who do not know about the zoom feature, available in IE (not sure about other browsers), hold down the <CTRL> key and roll the mouse wheel.

Many thanks,

Wreckerbill
...on most maps
DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

Hi Wrecker.

There were other threads regarding the zoom tool- be aware that some users reported that their clicks were registering incorrectly due to the zoom feature.

See: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... .php?t=588

You might also try increasing your screen resolution or using the 'full screen' function if available in your browser to add screen real estate.
B1

Re: Suggestion for easier identify

Post by B1 »

Daehawk wrote:implement an auto oscillating program for the virtual microscope. It would work by allowing the user to pinpoint the surface in focus then it would tak over and oscillate the focus from surface to sub surface approx every 1 second.

So the user would pinpoint the surface then it would be surface / subsurface / surface..in that manner instead of the user doing it themselves. Unless of course they wished to. I find myself studying the slides in this manner by focusing on the surface then subsurface back and forth quickly.
I had a similar idea, where the VM could 'auto-slide-show' of focus-in /
focus-out, at a user selected rate, and limit the focus out range.
An 'sort of' example from the NOAA radar loop:
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes
[Rock / Loop] button and speed setting
Save on all the mouse work :)