Stardust@home Suggestion Thread

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

YOMAR_II

A couple of suggestions...

Post by YOMAR_II »

excuse me WOLTER.....

1) You might create a map of the world to see the locations of the volunteers, like in the project Climatteprediction.net. It would not use as anything, but it would be interesting
2) to avoid frauds, every movie should be visualized during at least 5 seconds, using for it a chronometer placed next to every movie.
jsmaje

Re: A couple of suggestions...

Post by jsmaje »

YOMAR_II wrote:You might create a map of the world to see the locations of the volunteers, like in the project Climatteprediction.net. It would not use as anything, but it would be interesting.
Yomar_II, there is a 'StarDust World Map' thread in the StarDust@Home Community forum, and some of us have already joined the Frappr site suggested there. Put yourself on the map at:
http://www.frappr.com/stardusthome.
sub212

Post by sub212 »

make that 99%
SonicDMG

I completely agree with sriley...

Post by SonicDMG »

Hi there. I will try and not get too upset when I miss a calibration movie, but I agree with sriley wholeheartedly that it would be nice to see a mistake. I am assuming the calibration movies have been verified. With that, could they be marked in the same way as the test movies in the location of a track?

BTW: This is rather fun....I must be boring..hehehe :)

SonicDMG
sub212

deadlink

Post by sub212 »

note to the damin, the chinese site 2 is down, you might want to consider taking off that link.

hope to have been a help
L.
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

I like to see a new option.

Go get the real movie ! button.

You look at something but you can't tell on the over compressed quick movie so you have a button go get the real movie and it goes and downloads the original not compressed or jpg set to 100% instead. Maybe then you could tell what your looking at. I'd rather have slower downloading better quality then faster downloading poor quality. Lots of us have high speed so it would be no big deal. I download 60 meg pictures form APOD all the time. It's no big deal here. I like lossless images.
neacf

movies in list I never clicked on

Post by neacf »

I have two movies in my events list I never clicked on . Numbers 717215 and 486854. How did this happen? I know that two movies changed when I was playing with my screen size. Could that have somhow caused it?
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Apologies if already suggested...

A button for REALLY empty movies to get them removed asap.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
roelflores

Optional resolution

Post by roelflores »

How about making an option in the main page, for viewing the movies in 800 X 600 so the pictures becomes larger than 1024 X 768 in a 15" LCD display, I put my pc in this mode(800x600), but the logo and other sfuff prevent me from viewing the entire picture without scrolling the page, I think is more useful and practical for us if we have this little but important improvement.

what do you think?

Divide and Conquer

Thanks!
Roel Flores
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Apologies if already suggested...

A button for REALLY empty movies to get them removed asap.

You know a idea like this could really work if done correctly. A button that you click only when there is absolutely no chance of anything ever been found on it. Very simple movies with a few spots on the surface. It could be a vote system 5 votes you're gone never to be seen again. If there is not a solution to pruning movies soon we are never going to see new ones.

Also once it hits 250 views with no clicks gone. I though 200 views would be max but I see some movies have already gone beyond that.

Movies that have been clicked on that have 250 views should be removed from the pool and put in a different directory.
Jens

Calibration movies too easy to recognize

Post by Jens »

Hello folks,
After I have been spending quite a time with Stardust - I of course got an eye for how calibration movies look like.

Honestly - by now I can see on the first picture already, that this will be a calibration movie with a track in it. If you compare these to other calibration movies of that kind, you´ll notice the big similarity - especially regarding the quality of the recording and the darker-area, which is becoming a huge ring when focusing down.

My point isn´t that I have good eyes (in fact I haven´t - I have -4,5 dpt on both eyes). My point is: I think most of the calibration movies containing tracks are too easy to recognize.
If possible I´d suggesting making it a little harder (I already had a few calibration movies with only very tiny tracks - these are challenging). This will make people look even more carefully. And I also think, that answering a calibration movie wrong, should have a much greater impact on the overall score. This will make (in my eyes) the score-table a little more "realistic", because being careful probably is one of the keys to finding the stardust.

Oh and for the laughter: When writing down the ID (just to now find out, that calibration movies cannot be shown in URLs) and thinking about writing this post, I got distracted and clicked "no track", haha. (Well - not so funny...was my first negative entry :( )

Best regards
Jens
Mighty Pete

Post by Mighty Pete »

Idea for a new stat. Just a idea but would be interesting, As I find one more obvious large track, (198 views 6 votes ) it occurred to me that people must be blind or not looking at the screen or if it's not a calibration movie they're uninterested. Anyway a new stat that gives you a point for every confirm you mark. Somebody finds a track and you get nothing but if you get it for review and click on the same spot you get a point. A paying attention point. Now they might not be tracks but there is something there somebody thought worth clicking on. You show who is on the ball and who is on the bus. You get a point instead for not being first. This would be a natural every changing dynamic calibration movie.

Looky yourself. See the large track? Why did you not vote for it if you got this movie?

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... d=948511V1
Last edited by Mighty Pete on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_Gutman

Auto scroll options

Post by Tom_Gutman »

When running at low resolution the pictures get rather big, and it may become necessary to manually scroll down to see the entire image. I suggest that the user have the option to have the page automatically scrolled down (using #xxx in the URL) upon loading. The options I would ike to see are no scrolling (stay at the top, as at present), scroll to the line starting the load status, and scroll to the actual image. I think the option can be stored as part of the user data and can be included in the logon cookie created during the logon.
Tom Gutman
Tom_Gutman

User selectable image sizes

Post by Tom_Gutman »

Also as a user option I would like the user to be able to select sizes other than that in the file for displaying the picture. Users using high resolution might prefer to have the image expanded a bit for display. Generally a 1.5X and a 2X expansion result in good quality, and I think just those two options (in addition to the standard 1X) would be sufficient. I think that it would be sufficient to just adust the requested picture size, and that the browser will handle the resizing of the picture to match.
Tom Gutman
krawa

one idea

Post by krawa »

hi girls ;) today my connection works exceptionally good so I can focus also on some productive ideas instead of endless love for my ISP...

SO, I've seen some pictures that show good/bad focus of each focus movie on entire cell of aerogel as green/blue/red/black etc. dot.
Can someone produce an image where color of the dot (focus movie) would be percentage of positive hits ("i've found a track!") from users?
Colors black=0%, white=100% would be veeeery nice for me.

(FM=focus movie)
Idea behind this is: it could really turn out that small black dots under the surface are only inclusions from earth. Many of you (maybe everyone :)) have seen more than one inclusion in one FM so I expect that FM's from physically surrounding areas of FM with inclusion should also have some inclusions. This would be in my opinion normal pattern and on the image I've proposed this should show as large white (grayish) areas. If there is another rule for inclusion occurance, we will nicely see it on the image "map".
And it has one extra advantage: single bright points in the sea of black wold certainly mark great candidate for track :-)

So what do you think? Is someone capable and willing to do this?