Stardust@home Suggestion Thread

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

pauld

Suggestion Thread --

Post by pauld »

I would like to view a summary of results for the movies where I selected "No Track" -- similar to the results for the movies where I did identify a track.

So far, when I identify a track, the number of people who also identified a track in that same movie is low. The highest I've seen is 16 out of 51 people who agree.

So, I wonder about the movies where I said "No Track" .... were there some where a lot of other people saw something? Hopefully not, but if there were, I'd like to have the chance to go back to a particular movie and look again -- even though I wouldn't be able to change my vote.

I get some insight into this by checking how I do on the calibration movies, but there's no substitute for the real data.

Thanks.

trb4320

Science 'Fair"

Post by trb4320 »

I'm not sure what all of this means in here....first time visitor....I'm just trying to help out the stardust project, going as fast as I can and still catch things. My sensitivity is 95-96%. Is that good? I don't have a clue. But the fastest I can go is about 30 calibration movies an hour. The leaders "in the spotlight" are obviously using teams of people. I've seen those scores jump hundreds in less than an hour! It's not physically possible to run up numbers like that as a single competitor. Plus the first day and a half when nothing worked some of those top 5 numbers were skyrocketing? Whazzupwitdat? It's sort of discouraging I think. It defeats the purpose of this whole thing. What about a list of best sensitivity? If you're going to run a contest you should make it fair for all. I'm not feeling it!

Tim

Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Tim, there's a difference between "I can't do it" and "it can't be done" If, as you say, it is physically impossible for someone to run up some scores without a team of people, then I, without a team of people can apparently do the impossible. Now, given that I shouldn't be ABLE to do the impossible, by definition, I would suggest you need to rethink what is or isn't possible.

Welcome to the project.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.

templar781

Post by templar781 »

largeeyes wrote:How about a top 10 of movies with the highest number of "hits" that people have seen trails on?
That's a good one. Especially when the Stardust team can verify a "real" track. Then we will know exactly what to look for.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is. - Vince Lombardi

templar781

Post by templar781 »

I would like to see an optional grid pattern superimposed on the movie box that can be turned on and off. That would help alot in movies that have a lot of clutter.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is. - Vince Lombardi

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Ziggy,

Those are some nice suggestions. Thank you for them. We'll see what we can do.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH

bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

pointyhat,

Indeed as the project progresses we will certainly update the examples gallery with features that appear to create many false positives.

The examples gallery can be accessed from the VM from the "examples" button.

But that will take some time.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH

pointyhat

Post by pointyhat »

Thanks Bryan,
I look forward to seeing a 'Rogues Gallery' of high scoring false positives taken from the real Stardust data along with an explanation as to why the team thinks each kind of artefact is not worth further investigation. I'm sure it would help all participants to refine their search criteria.

All the best
Gavin

Rocket413

Thoughts - Certificate

Post by Rocket413 »

Having a great time being part of this research project. -

Something I thought would be real nice and I would value, being able to share it with others. As the odds of my finding and naming a particle is low, a certificate of Independet verification. I may not be the first person to find a track due to the the distribution of new movies. However I have a much better chance of providing an independent verification. So when the particle is named a Certificate of Independent Verfication of particle XXX, would be pretty cool. Memorabilia of my scientific research for NASA :wink:

DustBuster
DustMod

Post by DustBuster »

I like that idea as well. Great suggestion!
No dessert for you- ONE MONTH!

Sharqua
DustMod

Post by Sharqua »

::takes some double-sided tape and attaches it to the back of the first post in the thread, hoping all our newcomers take the hint:: :mrgreen:

-Shar

narc

Stardust@Home in several languages ?

Post by narc »

Hello everyone,

First of all, I've red the FAQ's and searched the forum and found nothing relative to Stardust being "internationalized", so I'm sorry if this has already been discussed.

I spoke to French friends about the Stardust@Home project and some of them told me that they couldn't use the website properly because of some English terms they didn't understand.

So, why not having different languages on the Stardust@Home website ?
Maybe it could make more people use the website and participate in the project ?
Maybe the community itself could create the languages templates ?

Narc.

Ps: Sorry for the mistakes that surely did insert in this message

great97452

It's a good idea

Post by great97452 »

Good idea! It should be like that. It already has a chinese version but I don't know whether it's official or not.

Snoopy

Post by Snoopy »

Ranking System (as it's there it affects)

So I'd like to see more of these individual achievement milestones (and make them work at all) e.g. having seen 1000 movies, 2000 movies etc. Having positively identified a particle, having flagged something at least ten others flagged.

Then i think orions proposition is important, to repeatedly start a scoring chase, for each new batch/tile. This way you would have some kinda chase in regular intervals with even odds for everyone to start over and not frustrating the scoring-fans.

A Bonus addition like review 100 movies and get for this 10 guaranteed never before seen movies i would really like to see. As to implement this you might be assigned these movies after the next batch launch and they are exclusively held back for ya for a few days until you've seen them. This would make me hot, to boldly see what no man has seen before :twisted:

Important i think too, is to alter the scoring method from amount-of-calibration-movies-clicked to something that puts more weight on accuracy. Thats what we need if looking for microns. For example flawless calibrations in a row or some formula of accuracy and amount. (which would favor me, as it's a thrill not to let come a tiny little single shadow on my so far perfect stat :Wink: )

I'd like to see that it would make more points in total to have flagged well agreed things than you might achieve by calibration movies. That would move the focus back to the dust, not to these monotonous calibration stuff and high-score scrambling.

It should be more rewarding to find dust, in cooperative way and not make a competition out of it, what's quite empty because there's not much to win for yourself here.

Repeating myself: It should give the option to select not only this-is-a-hit, but more different options like strange-but-no-dust,inclusion, sub-micron, small-one, mid-one, jackpot :roll:

rusm

some suggestions from me:

Post by rusm »

some suggestions from me:

1. Need to improve calibration quality. I think, you may use some checked (checked by community and by Stardust@Home Team) negative movies as negative calibration.

2. Percentage of calibration moves depends on specificity and sensitivity - when spec. and sens. increase, % of calibration decrease (not to 0 :) ), but increase cost of wrong answer proportionally. (This rule not applied to new user immediately, only after they pass some movies)

3. When start dusting after long (some hours) pause, show first 5-10 calibration only movies for wake up ;) )

4. Add flag “first discoverer” in “My events”

5. Would be fine to see more personal and whole project statistic (spent time, count of candidates, top candidates (w/o IDs), total movies, total checked, total bad focus, ...)