Will all the images be taken from the same perspective?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

SuperHuman

Will all the images be taken from the same perspective?

Post by SuperHuman »

Assuming that the collector plate is made of individual aeorgel cubes (it appears to be from the photographs); will each cube be photographed from the impact surface inward? In other words, will all the images be taken perpendicular to the plane of the collector plate?

There should only be one impact surface since only one surface was exposed, right?

Also will the trajectories/paths of the particles vary wildly or can we expect some uniformity to them?
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

I beleive that it was not cubes, and if so, certainly not as small as the field of view we'll get. Most of the images are from the impact surface, at least on the tutorial (granted, those are examples and were used with a particle-shooting thing, but what's used in the tutorial they want to make similar to the real thing).
And God said: E = +mv^2 - Ze^2/r ...and there *WAS* light!

WANTED:
Dead or Alive
^-^
( ^ )
Schroedinger's Cat
SuperHuman

Clarification

Post by SuperHuman »

I don't think that I was very clear in my previous post.

Here is a picture of the collector plate.

The aerogel would appear to be molded into individual rectangular solid sections with metal surrounding all but one surface. It would appear that there is only one exposed surface for the particles to enter, the surface that we can see here. Will all the images be taken from the exposed surface traveling inward? That is my main question. I thought it might be helpful to know the orientation of the pictures that we are going to examine.

It would seem pointless to have a series of pictures taken from the non-impact surfaces traveling inward. Since you would not expect to find any horizontal trails in the middle of the aerogel.

My second question: Will the angles vary greatly from impact to impact, or do we expect to find most particles traveling nearly perpendicular to the impact surface?
fuzzythebear

yet another question ..

Post by fuzzythebear »

Since the particles we are looking for all go in the gel in more or less the same direction why isnt the gel looked at sideways ? Is the gel too opaque for this ?

Second question , What is the typical speed at which those
particles were captured , and how far inside the gel were they
expected to " dig in " ?. Looking at the above photo it looks
like the cells are particularly deep, or is that because it was
a two sided collector ?

I got more questions about all this but if someone has a really good link to learn more on the actual way the panel
was built and has answers to the above and more i would
appreciate the reference :)

Thanks
DustBuster
DustMod

Re: Clarification

Post by DustBuster »

Will all the images be taken from the exposed surface traveling inward?
Yes.
My second question: Will the angles vary greatly from impact to impact, or do we expect to find most particles traveling nearly perpendicular to the impact surface?
I also posed this question in the VM help section, but got no reply

and
Since the particles we are looking for all go in the gel in more or less the same direction why isnt the gel looked at sideways ? Is the gel too opaque for this ?
The reverse side was exposed to and collected particles from the WILD2 comet.
Second question , What is the typical speed at which those particles were captured , and how far inside the gel were they expected to " dig in " ?. Looking at the above photo it looks like the cells are particularly deep, or is that because it was a two sided collector ?
I did read the estimated speed, I believe it was on the www.planetary.org website... just look for StarDust there where most questions can be answered. - and as stated above, yes- 2 sided.
Ferrum

Post by Ferrum »

Expected relative impact velocity for the interstellar dust grains was less than 25km/s. Variations in the interstellar dust "radiant direction" may approach 30°.
Visit http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/details3.html for more information.
Other excellent resources are:
http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/science/details.html
http://www.planetary.org/programs/proje ... ustathome/
Last edited by Ferrum on Sun May 28, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The integral sec y dy
From zero to one-sixth of pi
Is the log to base e
Of the square root of three.
Um...times the square root of the fourth power of i.
SuperHuman

Post by SuperHuman »

Thanks for the excellent responses. DustBuster and Ferrum thanks for the links.
drpepper44111

Post by drpepper44111 »

fuzzy brings up a good point. In photo analysis you sometimes look for a pattern that does not fit the norm. In viewing the movies it sometimes seems as if one movie is taken from one angle and another from another direction. It would be nice to have some indicator of which direction the collector was traveling.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

We do not know what angle they will be coming in at since this has not been done before. One could speculate that, as a car going through the wind, things will come directly in. (I know, not quite the same, but we do have solar wind, there is stuff out there and it is traveling. It was just a quick example).

They cannot manipulate the gel because of the delacy of it and the risks of contamination.

But wouldn't it be great just to get our hands on it and look at it?!?
From dust we come