World Alzheimer's Day Catchathon:

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

caprarom

World Alzheimer's Day Catchathon:

Post by caprarom »

You likely know our Stardust@Home project helped inspire a multiplicity of other citizen science projects. Notably, that includes the Stall Catchers website and game to help advance Alzheimer's research at Cornell University. You might have seen Stall Catchers featured on a PBS special* regarding citizen science, which starred our own Dr. Andrew Westphal and Robert Lettieri who closely collaborated with Cornell and others to help launch that new effort. A couple of us dusters even assisted with alpha and beta-testing of the new site prior to roll-out.
September 21st is World Alzheimer's Day, and we dusters are invited to participate in the second annual Stall Catchers' International Catchathon. The Catchathon lasts 48 hours (while it is September 21st anywhere on the planet), but there is a special "Golden Hour" of video competition included.
If you would like to participate in this event (as an individual or a team) or to just learn more, visit www.catchathon.com.
PS. I should mention that stall-catching involves examining live mouse-brain microcapillaries under magnification to determine whether or not blood is flowing through the target vessel. You scroll through the video similar to star-dusting in aerogel, but it is horizontal vs. vertical scrolling. After so many years dusting, that horizontal motion took me a bit of adjustment. ;-)
PPS. Dan Zevin graciously provided this link, http://crowdandcloud.org/watch-the-episodes/episode-one , should you like to see the special. The relevant segment encompasses about the 29th to 42nd minutes, and Andrew & Robert appear at about 35 minutes.
DanZ
Site Admin

Re: World Alzheimer's Day Catchathon:

Post by DanZ »

Thanks for posting Mike, and for your commitment to the project!
If anyone wants to get right to the part where Andrew and Robert appear, it starts at 38:47.
But if you look to the left of the video, under "SEGMENTS", you can click on EyesOnALZ and go to the start of that entire segment directly.
And here again is the link! http://crowdandcloud.org/watch-the-episodes/episode-one
Finally, maybe we can get one of the EyesOnALZ team members on one of our telecons - would you like that?
Dan
caprarom

Re: World Alzheimer's Day Catchathon:

Post by caprarom »

That's a neat idea, Dan. I'll recuse myself from voting since I'm already heavily involved in that project --- but oops, I already said it's a neat idea … , oh well.