Third Thursday Telecons

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DanZ
Site Admin

Re: Third Thursday Telecons

Post by DanZ »

Thanks for keeping everyone up to date Mike! And yes, we are having our regular Telecon this month. It will be next week on Thursday February 15th at 11am US Pacific Time. Here are the two options for joining:

1. By telephone: Dial 1-408-638-0968 and when prompted, enter meeting ID number 523-679-3135#
NOTE: Once the meeting ID is entered, you will then be prompted for your participant ID, but you need only enter # again. No participant ID is necessary. International phone numbers available at https://berkeley.zoom.us/zoomconference ... xAoaGhQfLR You can also check your corresponding timezone here.

2. By computer video/audio: Go to https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/5236793135, then allow for Zoom download and launch if necessary by following the online prompts.

Apologies in advance for the toll phone number in option 1, but we have a new service without toll free options.

We hope you can join us!

Dan
Puddock

Post by Puddock »

That's great guys - thanks for the info. I'm in the UK so I doubt I'd be able to do the live thing but hope to catch up at some point.
DanZ
Site Admin

NO Third Thursday Telecon for March 2018

Post by DanZ »

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately we’re going to have to cancel this month’s Stardust telcon – just too much going on here! In the meantime, I’ll try and get the past recordings up. I apologize that I’m behind on those.

Thanks for your understanding, and we look forward to speaking with you next month!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

No Third Thursday Telecon for April 2018

Post by DanZ »

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry to report, but we’re going to have to cancel this month’s Stardust telcon as well. But there's a good reason; the team is running more analyses, which means we should have much more to report next month.

Thanks for your understanding, and for sticking with us!

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

More analyses - well, that's good news! Thanks, Dan.
DanZ
Site Admin

This Month's Third Thursday Telecon PLUS New Connection Link

Post by DanZ »

Hello Everyone!

I hope you can join Dr. Westphal and me tomorrow for our monthly Third Thursday Telecon (video conference in reality). The time will be 11am Pacific (or 12pm Mountain, 1pm Central, and 2pm Eastern US). You can also check your corresponding timezone here.

NOTE: We are still using Zoom, but have a NEW connection link, so please be sure to use one of the revised options below to connect with us.

Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise, we’ll talk with you soon!

Dan

[connection info deleted, as it appears hackers are trying to get in!]
TitritEL

Post by TitritEL »

Hi Danz! Hope you doing well , I just seen the post I unfortunately missed the conference call .Is There anyway you can send me the minutes ? will there be any other upcoming conferences or events ? I would love to know updates about this amazing project and how we can improve it or if there is any thing I can do beside finding tracks in Aerogels and Dust marks in foils.

Best Regards,

Fatima EL AISSAOUI

Volunteer IN FOILS: TitiritEL
Volunteer IN Aerogels: TihiyaEL
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Hello Fatima,

Sorry you missed us! But yes, we record all of these presentations and post them here: http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/news/

I hope you enjoy catching up and can join us next time!

Thanks for assisting with the project and all the best,

Dan
TitritEL

Post by TitritEL »

Mr.Dan I just watched the telecon meeting for this month. Wew! the X-ray telescope and Berkeley Lab looks amazing! When is the next telecon conference? I Have seen on the site you gave me there has been lot in different dates. I definitely want be part of this as I have some questions in regards the Interstellar dust slide Artifacts so on and also it will be a chance to meet the team :)

Thank you for the uopdates and sending me the link.

Fatima EL
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

It would be great to have you join us Fatima. The "normal" time is now the Third Thursday of every month at 11am Pacific (18:00 UTC). But sometimes we have to change it up, so keep an eye on this forum a day or so beforehand, or if you want to send me a PM with your email address, I'll directly send you updates as I do with our regular participants. In the meantime, the next telecon is currently scheduled for 18:00 UTC on 21 June 2018, and I hope you can make it! Thanks for your interest, and your contributions to the project. Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

July 19, 2018 Third Thursday Telecon

Post by DanZ »

Greetings Dusters,

It’s Third Thursday time yet again, and this week Dr. Westphal will be reporting directly from the Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society in Moscow, Russia! (by coincidence only :lol:) He’ll have just arrived and will be jetlagged to be sure, but will try to give a brief update on the expectations for this year's meeting. If time allows, he'll also try and answer a few of your questions. You can read more about this year’s meeting here.

We’ll be starting at the usual time of 11:00am USA Pacific Time (which is 1pm Central, 2pm Eastern). For those in other countries, you can check your corresponding time zones here.

If you'd like to join us and need the connection information, please send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE via this forum, along with the User Name that you use for dusting (not the one for this forum).

We hope you can join us!

Thank you,

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Resheduled July Third Thursday Telecon

Post by DanZ »

Just a heads up that our July Third Thursday was rescheduled at the last minute, though Dr. Westphal will still be reporting directly from the Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society in Moscow. You can read more about this year’s meeting here.

The new time is TOMORROW, July 26th at 12:00pm USA Pacific Time (which is 2pm Central, 3pm Eastern). For those in other countries, you can check your corresponding time zones here.

And once again, if you'd like to join us and need the connection information, please send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE via this forum, along with the User Name that you use for dusting (not the one for this forum). Just note that I may not reply until 30 minutes BEFORE the telecon begins, so please be patient.

As always, we hope you can join us!

Thank you,

Dan
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Hey, thanks for this month's telecon (August '18).

If only such honest and informative responses from the team had existed earlier and throughout the project. And had been made accessible so quickly on the site. These are lessons to be learnt for future citizen science projects.

How lovely to see Italian McAngus of the 'Weird Views' * never quite managing to explain his Scottish forum name, as well as all the other regulars.
And surely, who by now doesn't know that Evelyn goes by at least two other aliases: SmithES & ERSTRS?

Perhaps a bit of rehearsal and preparation of slides/videos by the participants before a telecon would help, but it was fun to see everyone's enthusiasm.

Sorry, but I'm far too shy (and 12 hours out of kilter with LA) to join these telecons. Nor in fact do I have any tele/video kit to be able to do so anyway, but always look forward to each month's update.

The only question I have to Zack is are there any such things as gamma-ray microscopes capable of even finer resolution? What might they reveal?

John (jsmaje)

* my favourite is the "Sleeping under the sleeping cat". What's yours?
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:02 pmHey, thanks for this month's telecon (August '18).
Glad you enjoyed it John, and good to see you're still with us!
If only such honest and informative responses from the team had existed earlier and throughout the project. And had been made accessible so quickly on the site. These are lessons to be learnt for future citizen science projects.
Yes indeed. Stardust was a first-of-its-kind, and directly led to the creation of Galaxy Zoo and a host of other online citizen science projects, most of which can be found on Zooniverse. But the original intent was to get data, and unfortunately, without too much thought focused on the human aspects of this revolution in scientific investigation. Bottom line, next time around we'll budget for more coaching and facilitation, that is for sure!
And surely, who by now doesn't know that Evelyn goes by at least two other aliases: SmithES & ERSTRS?
Or forget why she has two names! But who knows how to pronounce them properly? At least that's what entered my head at the moment, and I wasn't going to risk getting on her bad side for it :lol: Ah, we miss you Evelyn!!
Perhaps a bit of rehearsal and preparation of slides/videos by the participants before a telecon would help, but it was fun to see everyone's enthusiasm.
The truth is Zack never even got to his prepared slides, but it was such a good conversation I didn't want to interrupt the flow of it all. We'll have to have him back to make the presentation as planned.
The only question I have to Zack is are there any such things as gamma-ray microscopes capable of even finer resolution? What might they reveal?
Will gladly make the ask!
McAngus

Post by McAngus »

Dear John,
That's my favourite, too.

About the rest, in my response to your private message (May 23, 2018) I had already told you that I make an incredible effort to write in English. Talking and listening to the English language even more, practically an impossible mission.

After Dan makes the telecons accessible on the site, I review the telecons in Youtube with the subtitles. So I can read the speeches that I did not understand.
So now I know that Dan asked me if I visited Scotland, but I did not understand.
However my answer is: I never went to Scotland.

About the name McAngus, I hope you will be satisfied here.
During the telecon I tried to say that it is complicated to explain the origin of McAngus.
In fact it derives from two completely different causes.
The first cause (the easy one) is a great love for Scotland since I was a child: books, stories, knights, castles, pipes and kilts.
The second, a very complex word game that requires a long explanation, but I see here there is enough space.
You English say: What is your name?
We Italians say: Come ti chiami? (literal translation: how do you call yourself?)
Your answer is: My name is ....
We answer: Mi Chiamo .... (literal translation: I call myself ....).
So we found the "M" and the "c" and the "Mc" is complete!
Let's go on.
My name is Augusto (an attribute of the Roman emperors); it derives from the Latin word "augere" which means to increase, to augment, to enrich, etc.
If you change "u" in "n" from aUgusto to aNgusto you get: restricted, narrow, poky. In practice, the opposite.
The step is short from angusto to Angus.
Also, when I chose this username, a page under construction of the Clan McAngus (including tartan) existed on the web. After a while it disappeared. I did not have time to save that page on my computer. Today I know that the original name of the Clan McAngus was McAngjoy.
Do you think it was easy to explain all this? Let me know!

Oooops! I forgot: if it can help you, the Italian number of my shoes is 42. :shock:

Augusto

P.S.
I wonder if Robert can invent some devilry for Zoom so that, during the telecons, we deaf can read what you are saying.
ad augusta per angusta