Skill Score

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Re: Skill Score

Post by jsmaje »

Thanks Mike – I sincerely hope the voters and team have made the right decision!
It wasn’t obvious how best to reward skill, and your proposal was ingenious.
If the eventual implementation of my formula doesn’t actually work out to everyone’s satisfaction, may I be excused for then blaming everyone else for having chosen it instead of yours?

To quote from my PM to Dan:
"Having just learned from your latest forum post that my Skill-Score proposal is to be adopted, I feel in an ambiguous state of gratitude and anxiety, knowing that any future objections might now be laid at my door!
I trust the team will implement it in the best way, and consider your comment about realistic selection and valuation of PMs very important in this regard. There’s nothing more off-putting as a duster to be deemed incompetent when not clicking on, for example, a ‘Heidelberger’ that has been pasted hovering two frames above or on the surface, or a single black pixel that blinks in-and-out of visibility, etc., – see endless remarks on the forum!"

John
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Who are “Nobody yet” at the top of the skill ranking page and [blank] at number 2?

I vaguely remember "Nobody” appearing some while back whle the team were making changes to the skill scoreing, soon afterwards to disappear.
Could our new ’Nobody' be the team’s theoretical duster with perfect skill according to the current calculation method, for comparison once it changes?
But why has number 2 now become anonymous?

All very unexplained- would be nice to be told!
John
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

I was thinking about the same thing the other day John and I think I can give you an answer (someone might want to confirm).

If you look at your VM account options, notice that they have added the option to hide your name from the top score ranking (this was one of my skill score proposal). I’m assuming that 'Blank' is someone that somehow got a really really good skill score and chose to have himself hidden. You will also see his 'Blank' name in the power score ranking.

As for 'Nobody', well again... we can have a good guess as to how he got this score... but in his case and as far as I know, a 'Nobody' is someone who does not yet have 50 for power score. I remember seeing a lot of 'Nobody' when phase 4 started a few months ago and they were all from people with less that 50 score.

Whenever Phase V starts and thanks to your winning proposal John, I don't think that we are going to see this happen in the future. 8)

Martin
laserphil

Post by laserphil »

Nobody is 107 on power score and has a power score of 307 so actually is present!
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

laserphil wrote:Nobody is 107 on power score and has a power score of 307 so actually is present!
Hadn't noticed that Phil - yet he/she/whatever has appeared (with significant rankings on both scales) only during the last week, suddenly becoming first for skill utterly out of the blue, which seems a little odd to me.

And yes, 'blank' has indeed been around for a time (originally owned up to by fjgiie as his alter ego, back in March 2011 during phase 3), if not stlll?

John
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

On Feb. 6, 2012, Martin (nitram819) wrote: Whenever Phase V starts . . . .)

No one has posted since my last one on Feb. 27, and I am still waiting for info on Phase V. Does anyone have any information as to when Phase V will begin? Or have they decided not to begin a new Phase?
Thanks, Evelyn (ERSTRS)
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Evelyn, I'm on the Red Team, but have heard nothing on this of late. We did have to sort through five thousand or so movies on the Red Team Homepage for the Alpha Listing some weeks ago, so the Berkeley team is not idle. I expect we'll have to wait for Dan to ferret out some information for us. Regards,

Mike C.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Good news that the ISPE project is making progress, and I look forward to reading the papers in due course.
Speaking for myself (having some scientific understanding) they add to the interest and motivation to continue participating.

Like Evelyn, I also await phase 5 with whatever improved Power Movies and duster scoring method may be introduced.
Dan (or whoever may be our current go-between hopefully paying attention to the forum) - what’s the present timescale for that?

John
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Sorry folks, I've been away on work-related travel since Feb 26th. But I'm back and pushing hard for Phase V release. I'll be trying for some Red Team/Mod testing later this week as a first priority, as long as I can get the go ahead. But as you've noticed, Dr. Westphal and others have been rather busy too. Nevertheless, I think the VM is very close to being ready. Stay tuned!

And thanks for your patience,

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

laserphil wrote:Nobody is 107 on power score and has a power score of 307 so actually is present!
Everything in the registration points to a real person.

Dan
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

John, we've just started beta-testing Phase V and your new skill score protocol seems to be working very well. I like it. Fine job by you and the "voters!"

Mike

[quote="jsmaje"]Thanks Mike – I sincerely hope the voters and team have made the right decision!
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

Great! I knew his proposal was gonna work well. That's why I voted for his proposal, and not mine ;)

Cant wait for phase V to start!

Martin
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

caprarom wrote:John, we've just started beta-testing Phase V and your new skill score protocol seems to be working very well...
nitram819 wrote:Great! I knew his proposal was gonna work well...
Thanks both; again, I hope you're right.

Mike - can you let me know via PM the precise skill score protocol to be implemented (my 'penalty' calculation of 77 minus value was just a first suggestion), and eventually dusters should of course also know how their scores / rankings are being determined.

John
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

From what I've seen, John, the Phase V site includes a good description of the skill score protocol. Of course, it could change depending on the outcome of the beta testing. I don't want to usurp the Berkeley Team, so I'll leave any more specific comments to Dan. I think the only minor modification thus far is that the maximum difficulty level for the power movies is higher than either you or I had assumed in our proposals, so the number was adjusted accordingly.

Mike
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Yes, we re-scored all the Power Movies in two ways:

1. Values run from 5-85 in 5 point increments. Thus, no more 27, 28, and 29 valued movies, etc. for which there really was no difference.

2. Values were based on dusters' ability to find them in Phase IV. As you recall, many low valued movies were missed by just about everyone. Those are now high value movies!

The full spread that will be used in Phase V can be seen in the graph below:

Dan