Skill Score

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DanZ
Site Admin

Skill Score

Post by DanZ »

Please post any thoughts you have about Skill Score here.
caprarom

Re: Skill Score

Post by caprarom »

Dan, I happen to like having the running tally of power movies missed. But, if it's unpopular, it won't crush me to lose it. Regards,

Mike C.
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Thanks Mike. I suppose we could have both!

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Dear Dusters,

We are taking a hard look at Skill Score once more and are batting around ideas. Formula may change, but regardless, here is one thing we can definitely do now, and that is present the Skill precision at 2 significant digits. Thus, if a low value Power Movie (PM) is presented, there will be no immediate (visible) effect on Skill Score. But do note, it will take longer for the score to visibly increase.

Intuitively, many on the team prefer this option. It says it takes time to gain skill, it can't be done by seeing just one single movie (which is true!). But also, you'd need a really bad run of missing PMs for your skill to drop significantly.

Please note too that the the already suggested formula (No. of PMs Correct divided by No. of PMs Seen) is just like the old sensitivity, and would drop significantly if you got one wrong - then take a significant amount of dusting to build back up (something no one liked in previous Phases). For example, let's say I'm just starting and I've got 5 PMs out of 5 viewed, then I'm a perfect score of 1.0. But I miss the next PM and now I'm 5/6 or 0.83. Then I get the next one right, I'm 6/7 or 0.86, then the next one (7/8 or 0.88) and so on. One (or 100%) would be the best you could do and every once-in-a-while it would drop for you and you'd have to work hard to bring it back up. I don't think we want to go there again!

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Dan
on behalf of the Stardust@home team
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Hey, DanZ, I'm delighted to find out the "Penalty" for finding small value Tracks will be eliminated. When? I just began dusting a few minutes ago, found a Track and upped my score from 11.48 to 11.51! WHEW! I was off and running---planning to dust for an hour until my hubby wakes up for breakfast. Then, I found the Track below, and WHAM! My score fell to 11.50. When will the scoring system be changed? Thanks, Evelyn ERSTRS

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... rds=?-1,-1 Movie 4138880V1
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Well, Dan, not all of us had a problem with the old sensitivity rating. The straight percentage is simple and very fair. The various weightings in the new power movie format do invite closer scrutiny and inject an element of fun, and the variety of calibration tracks is most welcome. I will personally very much miss having the two decimal places showing in the skill score, but you can't please everyone. We'll adapt to whatever the team settles upon. Finding the real tracks is still the primary focus. Mike C.
greuti

Post by greuti »

DanZ wrote:Dear Dusters,
Please note too that the the already suggested formula (No. of PMs Correct divided by No. of PMs Seen) is just like the old sensitivity
And as you've here said before, it would those disadvantage which remain dusting. Then sooner or later and/or every once a while you will miss one of the very difficult tracks. So a long time duster will probably never have a score of 100%.

Presenting the Skill precision at 2 significant digits makes me personally not happy too. It only conceals the present problem of "not can clicking on every PM track", though it will bring some quit in this case, I guess.

Peter
Last edited by greuti on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

I have a better idea.

There is no skill in finding a track that looks like a one inch exclamation point !
Dusters do not like for their Power Score to go down and hate for their Skill Score to go down.

Leave the Skill Score like it is now except:

Do not subtract from running skill score with a miss or a click on a low value movie.

Only have “bonus points” for the Power Movies that are 19 points or higher, with no points for a value of 18 or less.
Can we do that with only the Skill Score and leave the Power Score point system as is?

(by the way DanZ, I missed a high value track yesterday and it was my fault. You know what? I did not get angry with myself and actually felt pretty good that the VM did not cause the miss. So I think I shall miss some more today when I need a little pickup.)
greuti

Post by greuti »

Hi Fred,

Guessing it could be done by starting (with the current figures) a second hidden Power Score and a second hidden Power Movie Viewed, with adding on a right clicked Power Movie to the two only when the calculation gives a higher average than your current one.
Beside a Power Movie wrong clicked always add a point on by the divisor.

But to start this calculation by a rookie it must be already start with given figures, i.e. (just a guess) a result/Skill score of PS(250)/PMV(50)=5. Only because of not to start with a score of 45 if your first and right clicked one is just a high rated one.

The displayed Power Score could go up as usual by each right clicked PM.

Peter
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Seems to me the changes would only need to be made in updating the new Skill Score every time.
Disregard all Power movies in the Skill Score calculation that had a value less than 19 on    Total Power Movies Viewed - divisor    and in    adding the Power Movie value to the raw Skill Score dividend .

We don't want to right click anything as the Stardust computer can take care of this when updating the Skill Score after every clicked movie.
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

fjgiie wrote:Seems to me the changes would only need to be made in updating the new Skill Score every time.
Disregard all Power movies in the Skill Score calculation that had a value less than 19 on    Total Power Movies Viewed - divisor    and in    adding the Power Movie value to the raw Skill Score dividend.
We crunched some numbers on your idea fjgiie, but the same problem arises down the line (when scores get really big). Nevertheless. we are working on this, so please bare with us.

Thank you,

Dan
Tom Yahnke, Sr

Post by Tom Yahnke, Sr »

Dan,
I do not drink, but some times i rant , but with tongue in cheek. Pay the complaints no attention. I am an old man that says what ever comes to his mind. I will continue to dust frequently , carefully , seriously. Do what ever you like with scoring. I will continue to have fun and dust lots.
Tom
laserphil

Post by laserphil »

I started today with a skill score of 11.91 and managed to get up to 11.98 on four occasions throughout the day. Finished dusting with a skill score of 11.94 - should have been closer to 12.5 but for the low value movies. Its like taking one step forward and three steps back. Not to mention the movies that still have wrong co-ordinates for a hit!

Perhaps this may be a better skill score calculation

This may be a little simplistic but could the skill level be calculated as: the power score/value of missed power movies. In this way even low score power movies will move the skill level forward and, as you receive more low value power movies than high value, the positive increase in power score should offset the occasional high value miss. Obviously your skill level should drop if you miss a power movie but should not continue to drop because you have received a string of movies with value less than your average. Obviously your skill score would not be calculated until you had both hits and misses.

Heaven help the person who misses a string of high value movies though!!!!

Phil
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Dear DanZ, On Aug. 11, 2100, you wrote: " we are working on this, so please bare with us."

Ummmm-mm, Don't you mean, "please 'BEAR' with us?

Thanks, couldn't resist the temptation. . . . . Evelyn ERSTRS
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

SmithES wrote:Dear DanZ, On Aug. 11, 2100, you wrote: " we are working on this, so please bare with us." Ummmm-mm, Don't you mean, "please 'BEAR' with us? Thanks, couldn't resist the temptation. . . . . Evelyn ERSTRS
You got me! :lol: