Tracks and Movies

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

gebils

Tracks and Movies

Post by gebils »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8921078V1

When someone gets the time could you please explain what fiducial means when describing this movie? This is the Home Team comment on one of my selections.
gebils

Re: Tracks and Movies

Post by gebils »

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 97&theY=93

Is that a second target at 150X275?
gebils

Post by gebils »

There is one power movie that is presented in an elongated vertical format - I think we all have seen it. It has a perfect tutorial 14 track. Don't tell them about it - a fast 15 points. LOL
George
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

gebils wrote:http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8921078V1 When someone gets the time could you please explain what fiducial means when describing this movie? This is the Home Team comment on one of my selections.
Ah yes, the fiducials! See my post here and you should get a clear idea. Mainly though, these are "needle pokes" that are meant to help determine the effects of extracting the tiles from the collector. At the time, no one (I think) realized how much they would look like tracks. And if you really want to get a sense of what that did (including some mistaken excitement by the team and some general reasoning on my part), feel free to start your reading here.

Hope it helps.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

gebils wrote:http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 97&theY=93 Is that a second target at 150X275?
Has a different look/feel in my opinion. But at the moment I'm wearing my contacts so can't see much detail on anything small! So, looking forward to others' thoughts.

Dan
gebils

Post by gebils »

Thank You Dan,

I now have all the facts on fiducials. I should to be able to sleep tonight - LOL

George
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Yes, you can also add #4489989. It's bad enough to click on a 5-rated track knowing it's going to hurt your skill rating, but then to have it wrongly marked as incorrect adds insult to injury. It's best, albeit a challenge at times, to keep a good sense of humor. Power on, Gebils!

Mike C.
gebils

Post by gebils »

Mike, I have completely discounted the skill score. It means nothing because it is loaded with "impossible" targets and faulty Power Movies. What I really want is to locate a real target containing organic matter.
George
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

gebils, I know how you feel. They system seems to be "rigged" against dusters. You, for instance, were number 407, but fell back to 3.72 (the last time I checked) when you did more dusting. My Rank keeps falling as well with each dusting session. I DREAD seeing the Tracks of lesser value, because I know that by clicking on them, my Skill score will keep going down, not up. In my last dusting session today, I found Tracks of following values: 5,12, 7, 25, 15, 4, 5, and 55. (I missed two, 7, & 15 value) I have come to DREAD the Tracts of lesser value that subtract from my Rank. I am tempted to pass them by when I see them, but my inner self won't let me do that. I either dust fairly, or I won't dust at all. It seems to me that the point of dusting is to find Tracks. Yet, I click on many, many tracks and my Skill score goes down. Why the penalty for finding Tracks? It is discouraging. Perhaps they will change the scoring system so we can rejoice over each Track we find, not groan when we see on insignificant one in a movie! In the meantime, gebils, keep trying to keep that number One place, I'm right behind you! At least for at the moment, that is. If more small value Tracts show up in my batch, I'll find myself headed toward the bottom of the Ranking.
Evelyn
ERSTRS
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

gebils, this is a P.S. to my last post a few minutes ago, regarding Rank values and the negative effect they have for movies. I began my session with Rank of 3.31. Found the following Tracts at values: 5, 15, 9, 15, 15, 5, 6,15, 5, 6,15,& 15. YET, my Skill Rank dropped to 3.29. To say that I cringed at each of the low value Tracks is an understatement. I closed my eyes and scrinched up my nose, and clicked on them anyway. Lost points. Evelyn ERSTRS
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

OOOOOPS! My apologies to gebils and grueti! I got the two of them mixed up!
It is grueti who is Number One in the SKILL Ratings (above me!) Not gebils. My eyes double-crossed for a moment from all those low value Tracks I've been getting in my batches! I'm very sorry. Evelyn ERSTRS
greuti

Post by greuti »

Hi Evelyn,

The Skill Rank on the main page doesn't show currently the intended value. Dan pointed it out some days ago that the values should be calculated from the number of seen Power Movies and the gathered Power Score (as displayed in your account as "Your Skill"), and that it will be corrected when the tech has time. Currently it shows the relation between your Power Score and your seen real movies - means the less real movies you clicked away the better your Skill rank ;-)

Anyway the Skill value will show only an average of your gathered points. I don't know exactly the influence of the false counted Power movies but it seems they are more related to lower rated tracks than to the big points. So the more higher rated ones you can find the better should still be your skill rank. Actually, it's that way the less lower counted movie you have to calculate in your score the better is your real Skill value.

My real Skill value shows 12.43 today.
SmithES

Post by SmithES »

Comment on Post from Number One Skill Rank, "greuti:" "So the more higher rated ones you can find the better should be your skill rank . . . the less lower counted movie you have to calculate in your score the better is your real Skill value. My real Skill value shows 12.43 today."

Thank you, "greuti." My real Skill value shows 11.40, and I'm at Skill Rank 3.29 this morning. I've called 252 movies right, and missed 39. Now, greuti, I can pretty well find the higher valued ones---IF and when, I get movies that have the higher values in them! I've found 30s, 50s, 60s, and 71s, but they are few and far between. In a way, I am a "victim" of the batches I receive---I have no control over whether high value Tracks come my way or not. Oddly, in the first batch I received in Phase Four, there were lots more high valued ones and very few low valued ones, and I zipped right up to #1 Skill Rank of 3.55! Since then, the majority of the Tracks in my batches have been low value Tracks. For instance, I'm glad the HATs are now straightened out, but I still cringe when I see one because I know it means a penalty in my score. That's a downer, uncontrolled by me. Thanks, Evelyn ERSTRS
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

gebils wrote:Mike, I have completely discounted the skill score. It means nothing because it is loaded with "impossible" targets and faulty Power Movies. What I really want is to locate a real target containing organic matter.
George
I agree with you, George. I decided to try dusting again and immediately got one right and 4 wrong, 3 of which were incorrectly marked coordinates, one in which I clicked on a piece of dust on my screen, LOL! I purposely clicked on the middle of the track in a HAT to see if I could get it right, but for once they had it right! (Not shown below.) LOL! I too have decided to completely discount the power movies and the skill score as meaningless. Now I don't even twinge when I get one wrong...I expect to, after all! The funny thing is that my score disappeared completely from the skill rankings! I don't have 50 power movies viewed yet, but it was there before! This phase seems to be presenting many, many problems. Guess, like you, I'll just look for legitimate tracks. That's really why we're here.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 5&theY=367

This one has no vertical coordinates: (The one in which I clicked on a piece of dust.)

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 0&theY=191

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 64&theY=53