Phase IV Transition

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Phase IV Transition

Post by jsmaje »

As much as I’m looking forward to seeing whether Phase 4 lives up to its hype, I wonder what will happen to my new “Power” & “Skill” measures if I click “No track” for a calibration movie where the track is “purposely so small as to be literally invisible”?

“Literally” invisible means actually invisible! Shouldn’t I therefore be scored correct? I doubt it!
I guess they meant to say virtually or nearly invisible, so am peeling the cobwebs from my eyes at this very moment in preparation!

John
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: Phase IV Transition

Post by fjgiie »

Once you see this one it is no longer invisible. 8)

Movie 1924149V1
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Your Power Score would stay the same and your Skill Score would go down.

As far as the invisible goes, "practically" probably would have been a better choice of words. However, I think some of these are known to contain particles but no discernible track, so in some ways "literally" is not really that far off.

Have fun!

Dan
laserphil

Post by laserphil »

I guess its back to clicking on every spec of dust that is in focus below the surface. One I clicked was so small I thought it was a spec of dust on the screen and wiped the screen to check. It didn't come off so I clicked and scored about 60 points!

I have also noticed that the score can increase along with the misses on a single cm. I have taken note of a number where my score increased and so to the misses count on one movie. Have any others noticed this?

Phil
gebils

Post by gebils »

There sure are a lot of "invisible tracks". I just got an email about missed power movies. "Power Movie values higher than 30 should be considered extremely hard, if not impossible to spot. " I guess I must have got a bunch of these impossible ones. SIGH - LOL
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

Hey guys,

I find that the new scoring system is a really nice improvement, great job on this one. Some movies are actually really tough to find and it crippled my score a bit but that's alright, I love the challenge (phase 3 was getting a little boring lol).

However, there seem to be a few issues here and there that I would like to bring to your attention.

1- I came across a few calibration movies that I got wrong, and I know for sure that I clicked on the track at the right location. I even looked at the new 'Missed calibration movie list' and it shows that I clicked at the right location and therefore should have received points. I got three of those:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 3&theY=182
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 4&theY=288
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 0&theY=239

2- The 'Total Real Movies Viewed' that shows up under the VM in phase 4 also includes calibration movies and not only real movies. I noticed this after clicking on a track in a calibration movie, I got points for clicking on it but it also added 1 to my 'real movies viewed' count.

3- My Phase 3 stats are still not available. Instead, it seems that my phase 2 rank, movies viewed, specificity and sensitivity are displayed. The list of movies that I clicked on during phase 3 is also wrong, instead I will be getting a list of phase 4 movies that I have recently clicked on. Phase 4 real movies AND calibration movies are listed there as well. I think that problem #3 might be linked to problem #2 .

That's it, Thanks a lot for looking into this and its great to be back!

Martin
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

Thanks Martin! I felt the same way about a few HATs when I was dusting the other day and am compiling a list of these issues and sending them off to the team. So if you find more, feel free to post them here.

Will look into the other issues as well.

Cheers,

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

laserphil wrote:I have also noticed that the score can increase along with the misses on a single cm. I have taken note of a number where my score increased and so to the misses count on one movie. Have any others noticed this?Phil
Hi Phil. Not sure if I'm reading this right, but there are NO (zero) Power Movies that are like the old "blank" CMs (i.e., there's nothing with a known "no track" present that would get you any points). So, if you find that NOT to be the case and can send me a link to a supposedly "blank" movie that gave you a score, please send it to me if you can. On the other hand, I'm probably reading this wrong and thus, please send me a little more info so I understand better.

Thanks,

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

gebils wrote:There sure are a lot of "invisible tracks". I just got an email about missed power movies. "Power Movie values higher than 30 should be considered extremely hard, if not impossible to spot. " I guess I must have got a bunch of these impossible ones. SIGH - LOL
Note: - at anytime while dusting, you can also click on your My Events page and then on "Follow this link for a list of power movies you have missed during this cycle." to get immediate feedback on any Power Movies missed. No need to wait for emails!

Dan
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

This is a movie elainekeefe reported in her post above.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... e=247854V1

In the viewer the movie looks like this:
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 8&theY=152
At the end of the viewer movie the coordinates show X=448, Y=152 That is an incorrect location.
Viewer says 448, 152
The correct location is: 398, 180
gebils

Post by gebils »

Question - I have seen several of these power movies listed here on a viewer which isolates the location of a track with red bars. Where do I find these movies? It would help to know the location of a track I missed since I am still unable to find most of them by reviewing the original viewer. Thanks
elainekeefe

Post by elainekeefe »

Gebils, sign into the viewer, then go to your "My Events" page. On the left there is a line that says:

Follow this link for a list of power movies you have missed during this cycle.

Click on the link for a lilnked list of the movies you have missed. The list of missed power movies doesn't stay for long...just one dusting session. If you have permitted emails, they will be emailed to you also. On the emails, the link is not provided. You have to copy the URL address (between the two apostrophe marks) and paste to your browser to see the movie. (Note...the apostrophes are copied also...delete them before you give the go command.)
gebils

Post by gebils »

WOW Elaine - many thanks.
gebils

Post by gebils »

[Note: - at anytime while dusting, you can also click on your My Events page and then on "Follow this link for a list of power movies you have missed during this cycle." to get immediate feedback on any Power Movies missed. No need to wait for emails!

Dan]

No point in waiting for emails - there are no links which would be nice.

George
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

gebils wrote:No point in waiting for emails - there are no links which would be nice. George
Are you saying your auto-generated feedback emails are not providing links to missed Power Movies?

Dan