Track 40

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

greuti

Track 40

Post by greuti »

Hi,

There's a PDF for the LPSC2011 including side face pictures of track 40 in its "picokeystone" http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2011/pdf/2083.pdf - where it still looks like a hedgehog as it looks like from above :)

The PDF says it has a consistent morphology with a very high speed capture.
When it was a high speed capture, I can't understand the formation of his shape in the aerogel by such a high entry speed, i.e. what forces/circumstances can produce such a short cave form/track where the breadth of the entry hole is nearly as wide as the track?

Shows the entry hole the diameter of the origin particle or got it additionally widened by the process when the penetrating particle reacted with the aerogel? Was it more that the particle had a low density and got vaporized before it could generate a longer track like these from the comet particles?

Great that we possibly found at last a track that resembles the original calibration tracks!
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: Track 40

Post by fjgiie »

Hi greuti,

Here is an enlarged image from that pdf file:

Fig. 5: (left) Track 40 image in its picokeystone at 1000 eV. (right) STXM C map of Track 40.

The track looks more like a pop.
                     single peanut
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Thanks for that specific link greuti.
I’ve just apologised over on the Problems page under a different thread for not having taking track #40 seriously.

Not entirely clear to me from the paper, though, was whether the two new reported candidates, #37 (Merlin) and #40, were also ‘midnight’ tracks like Orion/Sirius & Hylabrook.

Whatever, I look forward to seeing some depth video-scans of #40, if at all possible both along and perpendicular to it’s presumed entrance trajectory, in order to get some sort of conception of its 3D appearance.

Seems we may be back having to look for both carrots/peanuts and skid-marks (the LATs & HATs - or vice versa - in previous incarnations of the project).
Will that be phase 4?

John
greuti

Post by greuti »

Hopefully no reason to stay by searched/old movies again this time.

With more or less sucess individually, (we) dusters always have been searching for anything that could be a sign of something that entered the aerogel..., don't you think so meanwhile?