New stooges

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

New stooges

Post by jsmaje »

I’ve yet to see any comment (forgive me if I’ve missed it) regarding the new lens dust marks apparent in the latest movies, most obviously at x/y coordinates ~175/295 and ~268/328. Are there any others?

Following the tradition of referring to them as Larry, Curly, Moe, etc., I think it would be handy to name the new ones too for reference.

I’d suggest Groucho & Harpo, respectively, after the Marx Brothers (seems appropriate for ‘marks’!), but any other ideas?

John
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: New stooges

Post by fjgiie »

Hi John,

Is not 268, 328 already Moe or do I have the wrong spot?

175, 295 is a new and conspicuous lens spot.

f

jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Is not 268, 328 already Moe or do I have the wrong spot?
Thanks Fjgiie, you’re probably right about Moe, though to me it seems to have become rather more extensive. But where has ‘Groucho’ come from? Was it there all along, unnoticed for ~5 years, and only due to new lighting/contrast now become evident?

My understanding from the latest News Update is that the tile scanning is now being done in-house at Berkeley (“using our own equipment”), though the continued prominence of Larry & Curly in the top-right corner suggests that they have in fact transported the same camera from (? was it) the JPL.
Might the transportation &/or new set-up processes have jiggled the lens-dust around a bit and introduced some more - albeit thankfully subtle - artefacts?

The team may or may not have time to explain, but for the moment I shall personally be calling them 'Groucho’ and ‘Harpomoe’!!

John
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:
My understanding from the latest News Update is that the tile scanning is now being done in-house at Berkeley (“using our own equipment”), though the continued prominence of Larry & Curly in the top-right corner suggests that they have in fact transported the same camera from (? was it) the JPL.

Might the transportation &/or new set-up processes have jiggled the lens-dust around a bit and introduced some more - albeit thankfully subtle - artefacts?
It's a different (real) microscope, but the same camera. Transferred from Johnson Space Center (not JPL)

Re the new smudges: I guess we'll learn to love them just as much!

Dan