Stargate-gate?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Stargate-gate?

Post by jsmaje »

SG-1 Å: who or what can suddenly be scoring over 1400 per day?

caprarom

Re: Stargate-gate?

Post by caprarom »

Wow! Great catch, jsmaje. I wonder what the associated stats (and events log) look like.
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

Maybe he got really addicted to Stardust! Eat, sleep, go to the bathroom with his laptop. Who knows...

Nah seriously, 1500 points a day??? that like viewing over 10 000 movies a day... sounds impossible.

See My score?
Your Overall Score: 1560
Total Movies Viewed: 10560

10 000 movies a day if you dust for 24 hours straight = ~417 movies an hours = ~7 movies a minute
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Exactly 24 hours after SG-1 Å’s score was 5123 as noted in my initial post, it was today 6638.
And a further 7 hours later it is now 7522.

An increase of 6638 –5123 = 1515: 1515 / 24 = ~63 per hour.
And 7522 – 6638 = 884: 884 / 7 = ~126 per hour.

Taking a rough average of 100 per hour, and given that CMs are about 20% of all movies, this implies having had to view at least 500 per hour, i.e. allowing just 7.2 seconds each. And that’s working all God’s hours, and not making any allowance for download time (~10 secs per movie for me), bad focus, and errors, as nitram819 has also pointed out.

Having 2 or more browsers on the go, on 2 or more computers, may be a way to do it.
And would it be possible for a classroom project to be sharing the same duster ID?

Meanwhile, I’ve noticed that Kevin A Courtney (ranked 1st) and Myles Midgley (ranked 2nd) have both been stuck at suspiciously symmetrical and significant-looking scores (101010 & 81818 respectively) over the last few days since SG-1 Å rocketed onto the scene. Could they be collaborating?

Or are we back to the computer program issue again?
Brings the ‘fun’ factor back into dusting though!

John
nitram819

Post by nitram819 »

jsmaje wrote: And would it be possible for a classroom project to be sharing the same duster ID?
Interresting! I didn't think of that.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Sorry to labour the issue, but:
  • SG-1 Å’s score at 8.45pm yesterday: 7522
    SG-1 Å’s score at 8.45pm today: 10000.
    = 2478 / day, = ~100 / hour, as estimated above from the previous 2 days as well.
Hence at least 500 movies to be downloaded and analysed (say 550, allowing for the badly focussed) per hour, = ~9 per min, = ~7 secs each. Such an extraordinarily disproportionate and sustained rate is undoubtedly unprecedented.

Do the team know who/what SG-1 Å is? They’re not registered on the forum, so clearly have little interest in participating in discussion of the technical and intellectual aspects of the project, or in sharing their methods, experience and stats, which might otherwise be of benefit to everyone.

I meanwhile note that KAC and MM have both been on the move again this evening, exactly whilst SG-1 Å has uncharacteristically been stuck for some hours at that nice round figure of 10000. Coincidence or not?
Sorry, but I just love a conspiracy theory!

John
SG-1 Å

Post by SG-1 Å »

Hello!
I guess you don't want to all the "we're an elite team of explorers of other worlds
through wormholes & stuff"?

Å
caprarom

Post by caprarom »

Welcome, SG-1 Å. Something of your first transmission seems to have been lost in translation. That is understandable with first contact. The universal translator should quickly adjust. Some of my colleagues seem anxious as to whether you are friend or foe, and as to the nature of your being. Your use of the term "we're" suggests some form of collective intelligence. Care to elaborate?

Mike C.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

From today's STARDUST TOP 100 (phase 3) SG-1 Å's 'Daily average' and 'Increase last week':

Sadly, I think that SG-1 Å’s incoherent and facetious post above, plus lack of response so far to caprarom (Mike)’s generous invitation, has simply been teasing, disdainful and insulting to the rest of the duster community.

Please, SG-1 Å, come clean and explain yourself whoever you are.
We’ve been through this same sort of business during phases 1 & 2; it wasted a lot of time and effort, and ended in tears.
This is science, not a computer game.
If, on the other hand, you have something important to teach us, please do so.

John
Ronald C. Spencer

Post by Ronald C. Spencer »

I also find this puzzling and practically impossible. For a long time I used to Dust from 7:00 AM with breaks for meals and stopped between 10:00-10:30PM then on clear nights went out to observe the Moon and sometimes Jupiter and Saturn. Being gravely ill sometimes my medicines would raise havoc with me and affect the amount of time I could put into it. I even cut back some for reasons of health but on occasion I would pick up a 1,000 points, maybe 3 times in 3 Phases and that involved several years now but I have more time on my hands than most Dusters and I have concluded something must be afoul. I don't think it humanly possible but I have been wrong before. Maybe it's a robot but if not I don't think it possible considering all the Real Movies I have encountered in the daily mix for the past 3 phases of Stardust. The percentages must be very low considering human error. Mathematically it does not make sense considering human error in my calculations. If this person is legit then more power to em but I have a whole lot of nagging doubts. I salute my brother and sister Dusters. What you do is important to this research and your contributions invaluable and I have no doubt the project scientists appreciate all you have done and are continuing to do.

Dr. Ronald C. Spencer
Emeritus Member: The American Astronomical Society
Member: The Division for Planetary Sciences of the AAS
Member: The American Association of Variable Star Observers
Member: The Astronomical Society of the Pacific
Member: The Planetary Society
Astronomer's have Stars in their eye's
KevinACourtney

Post by KevinACourtney »

Hi All!...
I too have been watching SG-1 and I must say I have not seen a rate like this since
drush and Star Geezer in Phase 2! Myles moves along quite respectfully, and chrostek
has put up as many in a day as I can. I have a very good connection with AT&T Uverse
service and a big display and do have fun with searching. I have to think though that
SG-1 is more that 1 person...maybe a team or class...but SG-1 certainly seems to be having
fun. Dust On!
Coincidence? I was dusting yesterday & Myles was on as well. I noticed he stopped
dusting at 86,911. I thought that was respectful, so I stopped at 105,911. I noticed this
morning that SG-1 is at 20,911. I rest in rememberance.
Kevin
(     )

Post by (     ) »

KevinACourtney wrote:Hi All!...
I too have been watching SG-1 and I must say I have not seen a rate like this since
drush and Star Geezer in Phase 2! Myles moves along quite respectfully, and chrostek
has put up as many in a day as I can. I have a very good connection with AT&T Uverse
service and a big display and do have fun with searching. I have to think though that
SG-1 is more that 1 person...maybe a team or class...but SG-1 certainly seems to be having
fun. Dust On!
Coincidence? I was dusting yesterday & Myles was on as well. I noticed he stopped
dusting at 86,911. I thought that was respectful, so I stopped at 105,911. I noticed this
morning that SG-1 is at 20,911. I rest in rememberance.
Kevin
ha, ha ha ha SG-1 must have a new processor and a new algorithm, would you not say so?

(      )
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

I wonder if the last post by SG-1 Å here sheds any light on the matter:

Dan
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

DanZ wrote:I wonder if the last post by SG-1 Å here sheds any light on the matter:

Dan
Yes it does -
I guess a stack of 4 or 6 processors and 24 GB of RAM could be considered a team.

fjgiie

[edit to add]
This is wonderful though. What I would like to know is how an algorithm can visually pick out some of these weak calibration movies.

f