More Than One Track Per Movie?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Re: More Than One Track Per Movie?

Post by jsmaje »

Mike and everyone, sorry this has absolutely nothing to do with Stardust, but don't get me wrong; I wasn’t getting at ‘yanky’ ownership of ManU in particular, since Manchester City, our other major club, happens now to be owned by Mansour bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, who if you don't already know has also recently bought a soccer club in New York to be called NY City FC. They are setting up against the once NY/NJ Metrostars, now known as The New York Red Bulls, themselves having been acquired in 2006 by that eponymous Austrian energy-drink company. And London’s famous Chelsea FC is of course owned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, whose second-largest and most expensive private yacht in the world has just recently left NY Harbour after who knows what financial wheeling & dealing. I could go on ad nauseam.

Meanwhile, having just checked the current facts, no ManU players are from the US, but 20 of their 36 salaried players are from 18 different countries round the world, leaving 16 from England, of whom just 6 are from Manchester itself.

That’s my point: that many so-called local football clubs are now just international commercial businesses, hiring and firing players and managers from anywhere, interested only to spirit cash out of punters’ pockets into theirs. It’s certainly no longer local ‘sport’ in the sense of friendly neighbourhood 'game-playing' as I used to understand it.

Ho hum,
John
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jasonjason wrote:MOVIE: 795391V1 http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... 32&coords=

Looks like 3, I would go for the one on the left. Which one was it?
There is no "it" because it's not a Power Movie. But the more it's clicked on, the more attention it gets.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

caprarom wrote:Well, I was "led astray" by one of those "faux tracks" discussed earlier. I said I'd post it, but it's hard to see being a 75-pointer. PM #8612056V1 has the official coordinates at 110/360, but the feature at 37/300 seemed more likely to me. Maybe a different magnification would have made it clearer.
In order to collect data on the range of our volunteers' abilities, most Power Movies above 70 points cannot be correctly identified. This is on purpose and thus you should not concern yourself too much with missing Power Movies of such value.

Dan
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:Personally, I’ve not been dusting much lately, mostly because I’ve been waiting for the promised “Dozen papers” and a potential Phase 5.
That would be Phase 6.
jsmaje wrote:And apologies to all that I still feature on the Home page as “Duster of the Month for February” now that we’re well through May; it’s really embarrassing. I never volunteered, but was invited by Dan with just a day’s deadline since he couldn’t find anyone else! Hence my rushed, and perhaps what some might consider infelicitous text! I don’t know if they’ve since stopped inviting DOMs altogether or it’s just due to the decline of active participants in the project in general. John
It's not so much a lack of possible dusters as it seems to be many dusters would prefer to remain anonymous. I'd be happy to start up the feature again if that changes. But if you were indeed our last DOM John, I think it's a fitting end!

Dan