Stardust Top 100 (phase 3) graphs

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

Stardust Top 100 (phase 3) graphs

Post by jsmaje »

Encouraged by several dusters (well, one or two) who found the 'Stardust Top 100' program of interest during phase 2, I've now developed a phase 3 version, available here: STARDUST TOP 100 (phase 3).

Following the start of phase 3 on 23 March '10 - and as soon as the team's 'Community Rankings' list was populated - I began a new 'Top 100' baseline on 31 March '10. It has since been updated on 7th & 14th April to account for new, departing and returning entrants, and will continue to be updated each Wednesday.

There are a couple of new features: the scores & ranks of those who also featured in the phase 1 &/or phase 2 final top 100 are also provided, and there are log-log plots of the overall distribution for each phase; see here for an explanation of why this is (?)interesting.

The full list of graphs available is:
(1) Current score
(2) Gap to next lower score
(3) Gap to next higher score
(4) Increase since baseline
(5) Daily average
(6) Increase last week...
(7) ...vs. own average
(8) Change in rank
(9) Total weekly scores
(10) Phase 1 final scores
(11) Phase 2 final scores
(12) Phase 1-3 log-log plots

While scoring points for correct calibrations is by no means a sufficient reason to participate in the project, a challenge like the top 100 list at least serves to encourage activity, just as long as equal attention is given to all movies.
So far I've not been surprised that Kevin A Courtney was quickest out of the stalls, but am particularly impressed how fast new entrants such as XP2006 are making their way through the field (see sample graph below). Meanwhile, where are you fjgiie?!

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

John
Last edited by jsmaje on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
elainekeefe

Re: Startdust Top 100 (phase 3) graphs

Post by elainekeefe »

Thanks, John! I see you've been hard at work again. I am, as you know, one of the several (or one or two) dusters who enjoyed and used your progam last time around. I am delighted to once again have something to do besides search for nonexistent tracks in old movies that I have viewed 7000 times before and new movies that are too shallow, dark and cluttered to be of much good. I appreciate your efforts on our behalf. You are probably one of the few people who maintain enthusiasm for this project. I know, at times, you alone have kept the forum going. It's nice to see your interest hasn't waned in Phase 3! (Now if you could write a program to help us maintain ours....)
jsmaje

Re: Stardust Top 100 (phase 3) graphs

Post by jsmaje »

Elaine, you are too kind.
Last edited by jsmaje on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

Stardustdate 1107.17, 64046 or –313542.18 (depending on which Stardate calculator you choose):

39 of the Top 100 dusters were inactive last week, and of the remaining 61, 40 scored less than their personal average, 27 less than half their average.

Surprisingly though, the total overall score rose to 62% of week 1, compared to the nadir of 34% 8 weeks ago, largely due to the efforts of just a few individuals. See a sample graph here of the latest scores versus individual average.

Meanwhile, according to Dan only 979 people had contributed to phase 3 as of 9 June ‘10 (so forget your ranking being out of 29,000+).
And during the present 16th week of phase 3, the 100th top 100 score has risen from 211 to only 393 over the last 3 months (an average of ~2 per day).

Although I'd love to comment, Mr. Spock advises me to sign off there with just the facts...

John
DanZ
Site Admin

Post by DanZ »

jsmaje wrote:Meanwhile, according to Dan only 979 people had contributed to phase 3 as of 9 June ‘10
Our tech was able to tease out a couple new stats for you John. We've had 107 dusters active over the last 30 days and there has now been a total of 1,323 that "did something" during Phase 3. The increase is probably due to some recent press we've gotten, like the Nature article at http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100804/ ... 6685a.html

Cheers!

Dan