How the top scorers get those scores.

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

emsisson

Post by emsisson »

I'm on dial-up. I wonder how many are? Reading your posts I can imagine you must be screaming... but while I am waiting for a movie to load, I pet the dog, clean the turtle aquarium, and fix something to snack on. Actually in some instances I find only a 15 or 20 second lag between carefully scanning an image until the next is ready, just enough time to recalibrate my eyes.

Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Emission, mentioned before, but at one time I was able to have four windows opened at once, so others would be loading while I was looking. And I just cycled through them. I can't do that anymore. So now, at times (even with high speed connexion) I still find myself waiting. It's a nuisance. I'd rather be able to set myself to the task and go at it than pet the... cat. But when I'm in cat-petting mode, I don't let the particle tracks distract me either. So it's fair for the cat. ;-)
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.

stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

zuben el genubi wrote:To me it has nothing to do about hitting the most movies,it's finding as much Stardust as possible.
And I just seem to spot them pretty fast.
I've seen over 2200 real movies and found what I believe are spots of Stardust on many of them.
I just go by my own tempo that's it.
100 % agreement!
That is my motivation too.
About cheating? There is none. I do it using one account (1 MBit downstream) on one pc in one window and the pictures load exactly as fast, as i decide them.

@ all folks: if you want to increase your scores: work!

My personal rank is not the promoted "score", or top 100-list, my personal rank is listet at "my events": The number of my findings and the number of agreements to my findings (I need at least 4 "first findings" to name them after my children ;-))

regards

peter (stardust1)
Last edited by stardust1 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)

stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

zuben el genubi wrote:Spend the last hours searching on my own,one window,one pc,with cable connection.
I'll need another 5,6 or 7 hours to catch #1,depending on how long this guy will go on.
Or I'll just have a couple of beers I guess :wink:

Overall Score: 660
Total Movies Viewed: 3054
Your Rank: 6 out of 5068
Specificity: 100%
Sensitivity: 87%

Calibration movies answered correctly 716
Calibration movies answered incorrectly 56
@ zuben el genubi
just to compare:
My
Sensitivity: 98%

Identified Real-Movies: 66
Number of Agreements: 380

Let`s do that job!

regards

peter (stardust1)
Wir leben in einer Zeit vollkommener Mittel und verworrener Ziele. (Albert Einstein)

YOMAR_II

how make you to have as much score in only 4 days?

Post by YOMAR_II »

pardon my English....

i have 150 in score in 4 days.it´s slow.

thanks........

mwhiz

Post by mwhiz »

lots of time :D :shock:
"The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

icestation

Post by icestation »

its because u are spending little time for searching , i made 244 score in 2 days ( i have registred yesterday ) . and i m not searching all the time too .

zuben el genubi

Post by zuben el genubi »

Hello Stardust.

My stats so far:

Sensitivity: 93%

Identified Real-Movies: 104
Number of Agreements: 527

idrach

Rate of Calibration Movies

Post by idrach »

I seem to get a short run of calibration movies when I answer a few in very quick time: these tend to be the "bad focus" ones, which don't require as much care - they are quickly and obviously duff.

Matthew

stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

@ zuben el genubi:

congratulations!

@ idrach

Obviously not duff.

My stats:

Sensitivity: 98%

Identified Real-Movies: 105
Number of Agreements: 750

What`s about your "quality scores"?

In my opinion, the responsibles should think about a "Phase 2" of the volontier program (the winner on Phase 1 is zuben el genubi - hurray and congratulations, again). Kick off those silly calibration movies and replace the score by a "real-score" based on "real movies".

As I noticed, there come more and more "hot candidates" to my screen. Some of them I`ve seen before. So my last real image containing a candidate was 22 agreements at once. I think this is a good sign: system works well and gets more and more "self calibrating".

btw: As you may have noticed: "Bad focus" movies don`t count the number of viewed movies. My stats report thousends of viewed real movies and when I kick a bad focused movie beside, it is bad focused. This dosn`t save time, it costs time and is to improve the chance to find stardust on all images.

regards

peter (stardust1)
Last edited by stardust1 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buddhabuddha

Post by buddhabuddha »

Quote Orion0169: Far too many kids shut themselves down because it just isn't cool to be good at things

Made me think of this...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadaquate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented or fabulous?
Actually, who are you "not" to be?
You are a child of the universe.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
You were born to make manifest the glory of the universe that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Nelson Mandela
1994 Inaugural Speech.

Please note that I took the liberty to change "God" in this quote to "universe" in order to celebrate all religions in the world...including science! :)

Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

GREAT quotation. Not originally Mandela taht said it apparently, but a great quotation nonetheless. I've had that one in my collection for a while.

:D
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.

stardust1

Post by stardust1 »

@ buddhabuddha
@ Orion_0169

Thank you for your philosophic intermezzo.

peter (stardust1)

sibear

Post by sibear »

I really hope Maxim cvomes back to work.
It would be a crying shame to lose someone who is prepared to put in such a large workload.
Appologies fgor multiple posts earlier. It was the same time that I was having horrendous server waiting times.
I'm still 100% :)
Well done everyone!
Simon

zuben el genubi

Post by zuben el genubi »

@ Stardust

Thank you for your kind comments,and congratulations to you too.

And I agree about getting rid of those calibration movies and only include real movies.
That would make it even more fun.

Cheers.