How the top scorers get those scores.

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

nexguy

How the top scorers get those scores.

Post by nexguy »

I had some extra time on my hands (duh) so I decided to see how I stack up against the top scorers.

I nerdishly timed how often I got a score while reliably checking for tracks. I could not do better than 4 scores every 5 minutes. Then I devilishly tracked some of the top scorers and at times they were getting 9, 10 even 12 scores every 5 minutes. Given that a score happens about every 4th movie, that means they are viewing about 40 movies. 40 in 5 minutes? That means that they can retrieve and view each movie in just over 7 seconds. Seeing as I cant retrieve a movie faster than about 10-15 seconds (DSL), I couldn't possibly keep up. What's their secret?

Now I'm going to go and kick my own arse.
Lomic

Post by Lomic »

My guess is multiple people can log in under the same account - which is kinda annoying, they should have made teams for that purpose.
nexguy

Post by nexguy »

I thought of that too so I tried to log in twice. I got an error that said something like "You got to this page in an unknown way." Perhaps one way to ensure no one can do this would be to NOT allow an account to login when there has been activity (like viewing a movie) in the past..say 1 minute. That way you could not log in twice while viewing movies.

some people are scrubbs
Logan

Post by Logan »

They way I see it, the top 5 is not that important. I am doing this to be able to find an (or even more!) interstellar dust particle and therefore expand our knowledge of our galaxy and the universe. Being able to name it is prety cool too :D .
nexguy

Post by nexguy »

hmm... agreed!

Just hope the "cheaters" do not get any real tracks dismissed because they chose "No Track"
yakmin1967

Post by yakmin1967 »

nexguy wrote:
some people are scrubbs
Indeed they are. Let's leave it at that. Back to the microscope!
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

As someone who is in the top five, I should like to think that it isn't a matter of cheating. Ignoring the typically anti-intellectualism of assuming people "better" are cheating...

I was wondering about high scores too. And tried having more than one window logged in. And it works. I have three at the moment.

Why?

Efficiency. Not trying to clamour for high ranking. I might as well be viewing a movie while another loads. Makes more sense. With the tremendous number of images to be checked. I'm here to help. I would hope that I AM doing a good job of it to boot. And hope my numbers of mistakes and such are well below average.

You have to wonder though, if you don't care about rankings, why be concerned about how people have high ones?

On a more productive note, it would be nice if, when we got a callibration movie wrong, that we had a way of learning from the error.
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
nexguy

Post by nexguy »

My original post did wonder what's their "secret". Glad to hear that there isn't anything counter-productive going on.

Happy dusting!
MaximVesuvius
Location: Boise, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by MaximVesuvius »

Orion_0169 wrote:As someone who is in the top five, I should like to think that it isn't a matter of cheating. Ignoring the typically anti-intellectualism of assuming people "better" are cheating...

I was wondering about high scores too. And tried having more than one window logged in. And it works. I have three at the moment.

Why?

Efficiency. Not trying to clamour for high ranking. I might as well be viewing a movie while another loads. Makes more sense. With the tremendous number of images to be checked. I'm here to help. I would hope that I AM doing a good job of it to boot. And hope my numbers of mistakes and such are well below average.

You have to wonder though, if you don't care about rankings, why be concerned about how people have high ones?

On a more productive note, it would be nice if, when we got a callibration movie wrong, that we had a way of learning from the error.
I have been doing the same as Orion_0169, I suppose I started doing it way before anyone had a clue about how this website works. (One 21" monitor = 2 windows aligned horizontally) As far as a group is concerned, I'm a one man gang in this situation and no one I know cares about this research. If you want the top spot go for it, I could careless about being the number one speck finder, more power to those who care about titles. One thing you should know though, when you get to a certain spot the "counter" has a bug.

Calibration Answered Correctly 501
Calibration Movies Answered Incorrectly 10
Your Overall Score: 473
Total Real Movies Viewed: 1394
Your Rank: 1 out of 3138
Specificity: 99%
Sensitivity: 90%

As you can see I have been severely discredited on the work I have performed. I have tested this with one page and I get the same problem: Add one Correct answer, subtract from Overall Score.
Orion_0169

Post by Orion_0169 »

Keep up the good work, MaximVesuvius. I'm closing in on the 1000 real movies mark. And my score also isn't the 'one subtract the other' anymore. 100% and 89% here. :wink:
Je ne peux pas regarder la Mer sans me demander qui vit au-delà de cela.
uberwilhelm

Post by uberwilhelm »

I read in another post that people are opening multiple windows with movies in them doing 3,4,5 at a time.
Doug2a

Callibration movie feedback

Post by Doug2a »

Orion_0169 wrote:As someone who is in the top five, I should like to think that it isn't a matter of cheating. Ignoring the typically anti-intellectualism of assuming people "better" are cheating...

Why?

I agree that feed back on misses on callibration movies would be helpful. We learn from our mistakes but only if we understand the mistake.
Merovingian

Post by Merovingian »

I spent all night on it, and finally got to #87 (as of now), which I am very happy with!! :D

I'm done until later today, and I know I'll get bumped off the Top 100, but it was good to know I made a big enough contribution.
In the dark of night, there lives the lighthouse keeper;
And the lone survivor of this world is he...
buddhabuddha

Post by buddhabuddha »

Thanks for the information on using multiple open screens at once so you don't have to wait for a movie to load. Didn't think of that...duh!!! by the way...my hand is cramping...

Merovingian...it's like a wave at the beach isn't it...you break into the top 100 and then wash back out...I know the fleeting feeling...congrats on making it into the top 100!
MaximVesuvius
Location: Boise, ID, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by MaximVesuvius »

uberwilhelm wrote:I read in another post that people are opening multiple windows with movies in them doing 3,4,5 at a time.
I found 2 windows simultaeously is right within my niche. I tried 3 windows but that got crazy real quick. Depends on the person, how quick you can load a movie and how quick you can scan them. I found that the track will always be in the lower focus range (best ot start in the lower range). If I see no track there I take a glance in the upper range but that's almost always nil. I presume if there's going to be a track too small to be seen in the lower range then PS or NASA will have to increase the resolution of the movies or increase the accuracy of the objective.

Cheers

Max