Why cant this be done with software?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

vitaloverdose

Why cant this be done with software?

Post by vitaloverdose »

Hi, why cant the individual frames be used to create 3d models of the gel cells with software?
Cerusan

Post by Cerusan »

Yeah, with laserscanning interfering or whatever!
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Re: Why cant this be done with software?

Post by bmendez »

vitaloverdose wrote:Hi, why cant the individual frames be used to create 3d models of the gel cells with software?
I believe some dusters have tried to create similar visualizations. It's not clear that such visualizations would allow any better analysis, however.

But, it's always good to consider possibilities.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
vitaloverdose

Post by vitaloverdose »

I would think at the very least using software to filter out some of the more recognisable things that could be mistaken for tracks like dust spec's might help speed up the searching 'by eyes' method.

The method wouldn't be fool proof and in the long run all the filtered out stuff would have to be checked anyway. Im certainly not experienced enough in this sort of thing to be deciding the rules of the filters but seems like an interesting challenge.

Are all the tracks likely to be on a similar vector?
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Although not a direct link, this thread lists some references to the angles of the dust.

Also, we don't know exactly what to look for so everything is suspect. We are going for what we think looks like a possibility. Again, since there are the masses, the least likely canidates get the least likely hits and thus, we screen the movies.

Good luck!
From dust we come