The Alpha List & Red Team

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jsmaje

The Alpha List & Red Team

Post by jsmaje »

Bryan - great news about the first extraction and preliminary analysis.

Meanwhile, regarding The Alpha List, I can understand why becoming a Red Team member should depend on the extent of one's experience. But if entering the top 23 is to be the only criterion in order to be included, whatever happened to the concept that one's sensitivity & specificity were of equal if not greater importance? I guess there must be a high correlation between position and these measures, but theoretically not necessarily so.

Also, I may be blind but can't find any link on the Home page or elsewhere to the current Alpha List or Red Team members.
Thanks, John
fjgiie
DustMod

Re: Links

Post by fjgiie »

Hi John,

I can help you with links to those places you mentioned.

The Alpha List is found under NEWS .

Red team members can be found on the Forum or message board.
Click Usergroups top right. From there click the little down arrowpoint beside Dustmods and click RedTeam to highlight RedTeam. Over to the right click View Information. That should give you The RedTeam.

:) fjgiie
the moon

Post by the moon »

Ah now I wish I had put a little more time into dusting. If only I had known there was another reason besides seeing my name on a list. Hey if Bryan or anyone else on the team is reading this, I'd still like to be a red team member, even though I don't come close to meeting the score requirement. I think I can offer some unique perspectives to a lot of the candidate tracks. Worth a shot right?

Oh well, but yeah they probably looked at the quality scores of the top 50 and figured they were good enough they didn't need to bother making that a part of the requirement. And lets face it, if you've done something like 50,000 movies and you're still getting CMs wrong, then the problem is more likely with the CM, not you. For example, expecting you to click on an unrealistic track.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi All,

To answer your questions about criteria for the Red Team. We didn't want the team to be too big, but we wanted input from the most experienced dusters. Experience really does correlate with the overall score better than sensitivity/specificity since you could have very high sensitivity/specificity but not have looked at many movies.

Thanks fjgiie for pointing out where to find the alpha list and a listing of the Red Team members.

-Bryan
"I am made from the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins"
- RUSH
jsmaje

Post by jsmaje »

bmendez wrote:We didn't want the team to be too big, but we wanted input from the most experienced dusters.
Fair enough Bryan. But can you please explain why the first list of people below are not in the RedTeam despite having been in the phase 2 top 23 for some time, while the second list are either well below the top 23, or (in fact the majority) not even in the current top 100 at all, nor listed as Moderators?

Not in RedTeam: GLS (current position 4), nilium (7), Tom Yahnke, Sr (*), rlcwik (14), voyager1682002 (21), Lollia (22).
In RedTeam: jnt (39), dust2 (43), star2steerby (-), nicole_kelley (-), sbwlaw (-), robertl (-), pier (-).

OK, jnt & sbwlaw both made the top 23 in phase 1, but none of the others.

I can only guess that the first list were approached but must have declined to join the RedTeam for personal reasons.
As for the second list, could some of these actually be Moderators double-timing (with your collusion) under alternative usernames?** If not, where's the logic?

Just curious :shock:

* I needed to write the figure eight here, but have found for some time that it produces the 'cool' icon 8) instead! Has anyone else noticed this bug?
** might nicole_kelley be Nikita, and sbwlaw be sb126k, for example?
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

Hi John,

The people in your list who are not on the Red Team but who had the scores to qualify them were all invited to join the Red Team. They have either declined for various reasons or have not responded. In fact, rlcwik was just added yesterday.

nicole_kelley is one of our students here at Berkeley who has done a lot of work in creating the alpha list. Robertl is one of our webmaster/programmers.

Being ranked within the top 20ish in one of either phase was our criteria. dust2 was irene in Phase 1. She was ranked #6 and changed usernames for Phase 2. And not everyone has the same name in the forum as they do on the VM. GLS is star2steerby. pier is mopigi who is currently ranked 25 and was ranked 23 in Phase 1.

-Bryan
- RUSH
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

Hi Bryan,

Strangely I didn't receive any invitation, I could have missed it. Was there email sent out to every red team member? I wonder is it too late to join the Red Team now? Tks
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

voyager1682002 wrote:Hi Bryan,

Strangely I didn't receive any invitation, I could have missed it. Was there email sent out to every red team member? I wonder is it too late to join the Red Team now? Tks
It's possible that the message was caught by a spam filter (the same thing happened to rlcwik).

I'll let the team know that you are interested.

-Bryan
- RUSH
voyager1682002

Post by voyager1682002 »

Thank you Bryan, I love to contribute more to the project.
bmendez
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Post by bmendez »

voyager1682002 wrote:Thank you Bryan, I love to contribute more to the project.
No problem, and thank you for your wonderful efforts.

-Bryan
- RUSH