Ron Spencer

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Star Gezzer

Ron Spencer

Post by Star Gezzer »

Has anyone heard from Ron in the last couple of weeks. He has not searched or posted.
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

You haven't been the only one to notice his absence. Although we don't know anything, I think I can say we all hope for the best and await some hopefully positive news!
From dust we come
harmony

Post by harmony »

I have also been getting rather worried about him.
To be, that is the answer
ERSTRS

Ron Spencer

Post by ERSTRS »

I have some news about Ron. He was robbed and the ramifications of it are quite serious. I don't know if I.D. theft is involved or not, but he has lost his phone and Broadband service. The mayhem caused by the thieves has caused him great anguish and he may not recover the loss and be back online until March, he fears. He is quite ill, as you know, and this hasn't helped. He is in and out of the hospital often. He's been terminal for a long time and has beaten all the odds so far. I suspect he'll beat these odds, too, and return to dusting soon. Dusting is his passion, and to be unable to do it is his greatest misfortune right now.

If you have a message of encouragement for him, I have a temporary email address at a local library where he checks his messages each Saturday. I'm sure he would love to hear from all his old dusting buddies.

Email him at: astronomer_24357@hotmail.com

ERSTRS
Evelyn R. Smith
Evelyn
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

Thank you so much for the news Evelyn!
I wish there was more we can do. I'm sure his email will be flooded!
From dust we come
laserphil

Post by laserphil »

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for the update on Ron's situation. I was very worried when I received no reply to my email to Ron and his score staying still. I had contacted Fjgiie and Nikita earlier about any news but didn't think to put a general request on the forum.
Ron had written that he had a friend called Evelyn - another duster - but I did not know your user name so could not contact you direct either.
I hope the hotmail account has a large mailbox as I think there will be many mails of support.

Once again thanks for the news

Laserphil
Lollia

Post by Lollia »

Hi Evelyn,
thank you for your reply on Ronald situation. I am so upset about what happend that I would like to be able to do something to help him. I read that he is seriously ill and, realizing that his score remained still for several days, I began to get worried.
I shall write a mail to support him. I know Stardusting is addictive.
A big hug from Italy

Silvia :D
Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla.
(The way is long if one follows the precepts, but short and effective if one follows patterns)

Lucius Annaeus Seneca - Epistulae Morales - Liber I
ERSTRS

Ron Spencer

Post by ERSTRS »

Lollia, and others,

Ron has read emails from all over the Globe he says, and they have greatly brightened his days. The computer at the local library can only be used for a restricted length of time, but he wants to respond to everyone as soon as he can. He always contacts me because I copy all the comments from this Forum and send them on to him. I also send the top 10 list to him so he can keep up with his Rank. I'm sure that cards and letters are welcome, too. His main physical problem is congestive heart failure, and he has a type of Hospice care who checks on him regularly. The last I heard, he hoped to be back online by January. The two thieves who robbed him have really sent him into a tumble---in every way---but he is the forever optimist and keeps a cheerful attitude.

If you want to contact him at home, his address is:
Ronald C. Spencer
21 Cottage St.
First Floor Front
Leominster, MA 01453-3523
Evelyn
Nikita
DustMod

Post by Nikita »

If anyone would like more info on how to help Ron, you can send me a private messge. I do want to be sure everyone understands it is completely your choice to be involved or not. This is seperate from the project. Please allow me a day or two to respond to your PM.
Thanks!
Ronald C. Spencer

Thank you for your Emails! :)

Post by Ronald C. Spencer »

Dear Stardust Colleages,
Thank you so much for your wonderful emails full of concern and kind words. They have certainly brightened my days. Since I have been offline I have had more time to read some astronomy related works by Stephen Hawkings and other authors related to astronomy. The Library allows either 15 minutes or an hour and usually the spots for the 7 available computers are taken fast. Originally I came on Saturday or a good day when it was not raining. The Library is only a couple blocks away or I wouldn't make it as often as I do now. We are having unseasonably warm weather here so I am taking advantage of the situation, plus it is good for my heart to walk sensibly. Just don't enter me in a race as a turtle would come in days ahead of me. I am thankful for such nice people as yourselves. I try to reply to the emails as fast as I can. Sometimes even on a good day I might not feel well enough to meander off too the Library. Have a fun week at Dusting my friends, my heart is with you rooting you on to new heights. The work you do is important and I know the Stardust Team appreciates all of you.

Ron