Do the Slide Numbers have Meaning?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DiamondGirl

Do the Slide Numbers have Meaning?

Post by DiamondGirl »

Okay - here's a question I've been curious about for a bit now. I haven't posted it, because frankly I've been hoping I was right and that it gave me a little assistance and didn't want our vigilant team to modify anything based on my note. :D

But... with others like me getting very excited when they come across a slide with a real track, click it, and see that number 1 scoring only to find out later it was viewed and found in Phase 1, I thought it only fair to share the question and the thought behind it. So here goes.

Do the numbers of the slides equal a naming convention? In other words, are slides numbered with 6 digits before the V from earlier scans than those with 7? And were the ones starting with 2, 3, etc. earlier than the ones I see more of now that start with 8, 9 and even 10-14? If so, does this give us an edge on knowing which slides are more likely to give us a chance to be the true "first find" selector?

And as a little hint for those who read, I notice a lot of callibration slides start with the number 9. ;-)

Thoughts, anyone?
(and my apologies if this came up before and I just didn't see the conversation thread)

--DG
Wolter
DustMod

Post by Wolter »

No, the numbers are randomly generated. But as some statistics claim their is no such thing as random. So it is possible that certain characteristic chains of events appear to occur.
But then again, Humans are known to see paterns everywhere, clouds, toast even smudges on the floor seem to contain fotographic images these days, so who's to say...
Just dusting... Image
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

Wolter wrote:No, the numbers are randomly generated. But as some statistics claim their is no such thing as random. So it is possible that certain characteristic chains of events appear to occur.
But then again, Humans are known to see paterns everywhere, clouds, toast even smudges on the floor seem to contain fotographic images these days, so who's to say...
Thanks, Wolter. Interesting coincidence.
And funny you should mention seeing patterns everywhere. Just yesterday I was driving down the road, saw a stretch of pavement with a bunch of holes and thought, "Tracks!" Good thing there was no mouse button in my car! ;-)
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

DiamondGirl: Just thought you might appreciate this movie ID: 2982V1
A journey of 1000 miles begin with just one step.