HAT's vs idp-tracks

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

marcia

HAT's vs idp-tracks

Post by marcia »

I'm really very curious about the (scientific) reasons why the team thinks that the HAT's (former LAT's) are most likely meteor particles?
And my second question in connection with that is: isn't it possible that the Stardust-spacecraft did NOT fly in the right angle into the idp-cloud?

If someone knows more about this, I will be very pleased to hear it and discuss it.
Marcella
fjgiie
DustMod

Post by fjgiie »

Hi Marcella,

Here is a little information on that subject.

From this post Dr. Butterworth says "As to what we are expecting for the real dust tracks: the interstellar dust stream entering our solar system comes from one direction, but we don't know in advance what the exact spread of incident angles will be. Tracks made by interplanetary dust particles in the collector can come from any direction."

The collector was pointed toward the incomming ISP duststream.
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... =8534#8534

Look down this page and you can see that the Stardust spacecraft was travelling away from the incomming ISP dust stream. (to slow the impact velocity I think)
the moon

Post by the moon »

From tutorial page 14 about a HAT, "Although we don't yet know its origin, our guess is that it is not an interstellar dust particle, but is a particle ejected from an impact of a meteoroid on one of the aft solar panels on the Stardust spacecraft."

So they probably aren't meteors either, but pieces of the solar panel. There's no way we can tell, but the team knows where each of the HATs actually is in the collector so they can trace back their trajectories and they probably saw that they all came from the same point.
marcia

Post by marcia »

Hi fjgiie and the moon,

Thanks for your answers and references. I started to dust not until august '06, and missed that old threads because I was so eager to dust (and had already waited a month for a new computer because my old Mac OS9 didn't work on Stardust).

If these HAT's are indeed not idp-tracks (they look for me like the best we did find), I really hope we will find and see at least a convincing few in the rest of the collector, and, who knows, in this part of the tiles. I hope I'm proved wrong in my worries about the possible candidates we did find till now.
Marcia