Lost In Spacedust

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

DiamondGirl

Lost In Spacedust

Post by DiamondGirl »

I was going to post this as a reply to another topic, but really felt it needed to be a new discussion.

Basically, I haven't quit searching, but have not been able to get back to it in quite some time. This is the first I've logged on in a couple of months (mostly due to demands from my work).

The problem is, I don't know the status of anything, or whether or not it's worth jumping back into. Did things slow down, get re-vamped, and are running again? Or are all the new slides pretty much looked at now? Where do we find out? Is there any updated info on the scanning process? I looked in the FAQ and UPDATES areas, but couldn't find anything recent except fixes to scoring.

I have always enjoyed the intent of the project, and would like to jump back in, but to be honest I don't want to do it if it's just a waste of time. I need some clear, honest, direction.

Can anyone help?

Sincerely,
Lost In Space
(DiamondGirl)
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

The problem is, I don't know the status of anything, or whether or not it's worth jumping back into. Did things slow down, get re-vamped, and are running again?
Good question from the standpoint that even though things appear to have slowed down here on the forum, I'm not sure if anybody has a clear view of how many movies are being checked each day, and thus how much the project is still moving forward. Does anyone have any info on the statistics of movies scanned per day, for the duration of the project so far, so that we could see how much the project is still moving forward compared to what it was at previous times? Such data would greatly help everyone here get a grip on what's going on, probably more than any other kind of data that could be found at this time.
Aga

Post by Aga »

I've just come back to dusting after a long break, too. From the updates and forum discussions I've gathered that we'll get new higher resolution movies to look at pretty soon. However, does this mean that looking at 'old' movies is a waste of time now? I would like to get some update on this, too.

Peace,
Aga
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

This link might help answer your questions: :)
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1800
Aga

Post by Aga »

Thank you, DustSabre :)
DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

DustSabre wrote:This link might help answer your questions: :)
http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ ... php?t=1800
Thanks so much, DustSabre. I did see this thread, I guess I was just hoping that there had been some update, since this was from May. It does make me feel a little lost to not know where we are in all of this. But I do try to understand how busy our stardust crew must be. For now I'll will probably go ahead and jump back in, keep plugging along, and hope for some updated info soon.

Although I do still feel more than a little...

Lost in Space(dust). :wink:
DustSabre

Post by DustSabre »

Well, I hope that the project's still moving along all right, but I don't know for sure. I think that people are still scanning through an awful lot of movies, at least from what I can see on the scoreboards, so I'm assuming that things are still rolling along. However, it's hard to know just from the looking at the scores of the top 100 dusters whether that's really the case or not.

The real crux of the matter will come when they try to extract some of the particle candidates and look at them. Then we'll get to know for sure if we've actually found something. :D