THE LATEST NEW UPDATE ...

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Howie

THE LATEST NEW UPDATE ...

Post by Howie »

THANKS FOR AN UPDATE FINALLY!

VERY INFORMATIVE!

Just curious who does and pays for the fixtures etc., I see in the pics? I see that the fixtures are high quality machined parts, seeing that was my trade in aroespace machining.

Thanks,
Howie
xxxxxy

Post by xxxxxy »

Super!

I think we will finaly get the first real track! :)
Bojan AmbrožiÄ
the moon

Post by the moon »

Still no word on which tracks they actually plan on extracting. From the May 9th update over a month ago:

"We are also preparing a full listing of the best candidates for interstellar tracks that the Stardust@home collaboration has so far produced. We will also be letting everyone know who were the first to discover these."

Hopefully there's some big surprises on the list because I STILL haven't seen anything very promising. Certainly not promising enough to go thru all the trouble of setting up and testing the extracting equipement, and then using it at the possible risk of the rest of the tiles, before they've even finished SCANNING half the tiles.
ZackG
Stardust@home Team
Stardust@home Team

Machined parts.

Post by ZackG »

The machined parts come from all over meaning mostly from Johnson Space Center or Berkeley Space Sciences Laboratory. The rest are commercial parts (like the microscope stage underneath the machined platform holding the collector.) We're very proud of our machinists. Without them ... well, we might be looking for space dust, but I doubt we'd be finding any. :-)

Zack
Zack Gainsforth
Space Sciences Laboratory
UC Berkeley