Movie Changes or Just Me???

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

Howie

Movie Changes or Just Me???

Post by Howie »

Hi All,

Been away a few days changing my service from Earthlink to Embarq!

Caused me more headaches again!

Anyway, is it me or have the movies I watch today are new and changed?
A change of lighting and I do not see the older movies anymore?

Focus, lighting seem to have changed?

For me, I am now seeing a whole new range of movies?
Also noticed the random points cm's are quite fewer and far between?

Just asking.

Howie
fjgiie
DustMod

Movie Changes?

Post by fjgiie »

According to "Picture perfect: aerogel scanning progress", no high resolution movies have been uploaded into the virtual microscope. This update says that new transmitted lighting will be used in higher resolution movies along with unfolding the foil below the tiles. Here,"The transmitted light has already been reinstalled in the microscope...". And finally,"While scanning in Houston is shut down we will be uploading high magnification movies from several tiles for searching in the VM."
Howie wrote:...have the movies I watch today are new and changed?
A change of lighting and I do not see the older movies anymore?

Focus, lighting seem to have changed?

For me, I am now seeing a whole new range of movies?
Also noticed the random points cm's are quite fewer and far between?
I have not noticed any change in the lighting or the focus movies. Higher resolution movies are on the way with different lighting but the only new thing I have noticed is that the same old movies are loading faster. The faster loading for me started Saturday, 28 April. Maybe we will get a new update when the new movies are loaded into the VM.

Howie

Thank You All!!!

Post by Howie »

Hi To All,

I have figured out the stupid question most of you looked at and did not reply to because you thought I was nuts!

Here is what has happened and may be the cause of much concern on many posts, as to how all us dusters view movies from our PC, and our IP(Internet provider)!

Sorry if this is kinda long but hard to explain!!!

Since the start of Stardust, I had IP server Earthlink! I have been viewing movies for months with a certain quality and look to the movies!
I just changed IP to Embarq!!! Nothing changed really on my PC, except the movies! A change of IP has now given me a whole different quality and perspective of the movies! Too prove it, I went back to old IP and movies are different from then and now!!!

I went to my events from way back and they do not look the same as when I clicked on them, a whole change of color brightness, focus and depth!

I am trying to figure this out!!!

All I know is that the movie quality, focus, etc. has changed from day one to now!

Know you think I am nuts, but I will prove it, somehow, unless someone has done or noticed the same thing!

Sincerely,
Howie
rcschroter

Changes in equipment

Post by rcschroter »

I have the same thing as Howie and my only change was to a new flat screen monitor. Less detail and an entirely new look to each slide. The calibration images are almost unmistakable when you start at the bottom and with a larger screen I do not have to adjust the image position before searching. The right equipment makes it a lot easier, but I still feel more like a trained seal than a researcher. javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused
Howie

Thanks for Reply...

Post by Howie »

Hi rcschroter,

Thanks for the reply! Out of almost 700 views you are the first to reply and let me know I'm not nuts. Many view, but do not answer or post?

From what you have said, I am guessing the software for the new monitor made the change.
Seeing as how I constantly update software and drivers, that this must have happened during the couple days I spent changing servers, and not dusting. I still have not found the answer. But, I did do allot of upgrading during that time.

You did not mention, if the movies were the only change you noticed to your PC, like mine. Also, did your background go from a bright white to now a darker, grayish?

Sincerely,
Howie
rcschroter

Screen Changes

Post by rcschroter »

Your conclusion seems to be right on. My monitor keeps making adjustments and I am not sure that they are all for the better. There seems to be less detail in the faint portions of the image, but the bogus track images are more distinct. I find that I can find them almost immediately and do not waste time trying to make something out of the swirling shadows.
Star Gezzer

Flat Panel

Post by Star Gezzer »

I bought a new computer during the time they changed the lighting. The factory setting on the moniter gave me very poor results. 20 points poor I have a 20 in flat panel and these settings worked the best. Resolution set to 1280 X 1044, High contrast turned on, and screen set to 170%. With my mouse wheel set to 7 lines I have to do one click of the wheel to center the movie. It is fast and even the little washed out calibration movies at lower left and right are clear and sharp