Why already assessed movies?

Discuss your experiences with and ideas about Stardust@home here.

Moderators: Stardust@home Team, DustMods

jelfving

Why already assessed movies?

Post by jelfving »

Why are we served movies already assessed by the Stardust team? I click on a suspect frame, go to "My Events", and find that it's already deemed "Not extraterrestial" or (if I'm lucky) "Possible interstellar dust particle". Waste of time and volounteer work?

Also: would it be possible to "remove" those frames from the circuit, which have already been scrutinized by a sufficient number of dusters (300?)?

Finally, I am somewhat fed up with the frequent calibration movies: One would hope that Big Brother wouldn't be so watchful if one has already assessed > 10 000 real movies and owns a decent sensitivity percentage.

jelfving
jsmaje

Re: Why already assessed movies?

Post by jsmaje »

jelfving wrote:... already deemed "Not extraterrestial" or (if I'm lucky) "Possible interstellar dust particle". Waste of time and volounteer work?
Personally, I find it quite educational when the judgements of what I've clicked on confirm or contradict what I originally thought (even though we all know that in the long run there may need to be adjustments as the team learn more about what we're actually looking at).

So, 'waste of time'? - absolutely not.
fflo

Re: Why already assessed movies?

Post by fflo »

jelfving wrote:Why are we served movies already assessed .........................................
Finally, I am somewhat fed up with the frequent calibration movies: One would hope that Big Brother wouldn't be so watchful if one has already assessed > 10 000 real movies and owns a decent sensitivity percentage.
jelfving
I agree fully with jsmaje: absolutely no waste of time! The assessment is not final.

Furthermore: The frequent Cal-Movies are for you to be watchful and check yourself. And they are the only means to keep this "Score List" for all those who like competition on top of being helpful.
Finally, if you are somewhat fed up, why not take a little break? And then come back with a fresh mind. We all need this, once in a while.
Don't be :oops: keep :)
fflo
greuti

Post by greuti »

To me too, that many calibration movies is overdone, especially when you have seen that many and gained enough experience. Regarding the score list it does not make any difference, with less CMs the same duster would had been the busiest.

I guess it would had been the best when the numbers of CMs had been depended on seen movies. Maybe 1 : 3 at the beginning - then after 2000 CMs 1 : 4 - after 5000 CMs 1 : 6 - after 10'000 CMs 1 : 8.
It may be not fair to the beginner regarding the chance to find tracks, but on the other hand an "accolade" for effort to the others.
greuti

Post by greuti »

Now it is too late to change the ratio between CMs and RMs because new dusters would not get the chance to reach the first hundred.

But hey, now, how about a free choice when you achieved 10'000 calibration movies or so? A free choice between the normal ratio 1 : 3 and another ratio such as 1 : 6 or 1 : 8 ?!!

For myself I would like 1 : 20 or so :)